New version much slower

daba

Recently upgraded to v2.05.55 from 2.04

The new version is, IMHO, about 5 to 10 times slower than the previous. I've even reduced the size of the IE Temp files cache but still not happy with the performance.

Is this to do with it displaying what it is deleting ? I don't remember 2.04 doing this.

Can anything be done to restore the speed ?

What's the best procedure to restore v2.04 if the speed issue can't be fixed ?

Recently upgraded to v2.05.55 from 2.04

The new version is, IMHO, about 5 to 10 times slower than the previous. I've even reduced the size of the IE Temp files cache but still not happy with the performance.

Is this to do with it displaying what it is deleting ? I don't remember 2.04 doing this.

Can anything be done to restore the speed ?

What's the best procedure to restore v2.04 if the speed issue can't be fixed ?

I notice no difference in speed.

I notice no difference in speed.

How about other users - anyone else notice the file name display, each file deleition now takes about 1 second, i can see them as they are deleted - so a "busy" cache takes "busy" seconds - last one i ran took nearly 2 minutes !! thats only a couple hours riding the waves....

If it makes a difference I use Win 2K Pro

By example, before posting that last post, I ran CCleaner, then logged in and made the post.

After closing browser, (note no other pages visited), I ran CCleaner again - it took 18 seconds to clean the PC of 1 visit to this forum !!

By example, before posting that last post, I ran CCleaner, then logged in and made the post.

After closing browser, (note no other pages visited), I ran CCleaner again - it took 18 seconds to clean the PC of 1 visit to this forum !!

Well there is something off with that. Look at this. 11MB cleaned in less than a second.

t285_20080302212038.jpg

Hello daba.

When I first started to read your Post I figured your previous version would be 1.4xxxx.

But 2.04 is the the last version prior to 2.05.555.I haven't heard of other users noticing a speed

change between the two.

To speed things up a "little" some users turn off Start menu shortcuts and Desktop shortcuts under

System cleaning options on the Windows tab.

Some more Applications areas are being cleaned in the v2.05.555 than prior versions also.

The Options > Advanced options Show detail log of INTERNET Temporary Files for IE and Firefox can be turned off to save 1 or 2 seconds.

The Options > Settings Secure Deletion should be set for Normal.

Yes, the whole processing procedure takes a certain amount of time whether you are cleaning .5 MB

or 50 MB.

The new feature to display what is being processed was to satisfy an outstanding number of requests to do so by the users of CCleaner.It is a benefit to all users.

Follow Andavari's instructions at this link to install an older version.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=96555

The latest version of CCleaner v 2.05.555 is the stablest and best I have used.

Older versions have more "bugs" and less features.

It is your decision.

Good Luck,

:) davey

Apologies, the previous version I had installed was 2.01, not 2.04

The new feature to display what is being processed was to satisfy an outstanding number of requests to do so by the users of CCleaner.It is a benefit to all users

I do agree a "log" to see what was deleted is a benefit, but to display each file as it is deleted for nearly a second is pointless and a waste of time. If this faeture is needed, then it should be an option you select before starting the scan, as you would not want it every time.

Anthony A's reply, quoting 11Mb cleaned in less than a second leads me to believe there is a problem with my installation. I will uninstall, re-install, and post back results.

Apologies, the previous version I had installed was 2.01, not 2.04

I do agree a "log" to see what was deleted is a benefit, but to display each file as it is deleted for nearly a second is pointless and a waste of time. If this feature is needed, then it should be an option you select before starting the scan, as you would not want it every time.

What feature are you referring to here? I don't see any option to disaplay files as they are deleted. When I run CCleaner I select analyze to see what will be cleaned. Than I select run and when I do everything is cleaned in less than a second and no files are dislpayed as they are deleted. Once I have run CCeaner there is a list of what has been cleaned.

• Moderators

Anthony, there's no option to show files being deleted, it just happens. There is a filename displayed in grey typeface at around one-second intervals in the CC window as either analyse or delete is run. It can't be every file as it would take hours to list at one file a second. Sometimes the analyse or delete is so fast that you don't see it (see last run below).

Right. After the pc had been on all day, I ran analyse. It took 1.48 secs on 28 mb of data. No filenames seen.

Reboot, run analyse. 66.48 sec on same data. Lots of filenames seen.

Reboot, run delete (no explicit analyse, no overwrite) 11.5 secs on same data. Can't remember if any filenames seen.

Open browser, get to this point, run delete.... just a min.... 0.241 sec on 0.64 mb. No filenames seen.

Sometimes deletes do seem to take some time. I'm not too bothered, I can wait, but it does seem to be inconsistent.

Anthony, there's no option to show files being deleted, it just happens. There is a filename displayed in grey typeface at around one-second intervals in the CC window as either analyse or delete is run. It can't be every file as it would take hours to list at one file a second. Sometimes the analyse or delete is so fast that you don't see it (see last run below).

Right. After the pc had been on all day, I ran analyse. It took 1.48 secs on 28 mb of data. No filenames seen.

Reboot, run analyse. 66.48 sec on same data. Lots of filenames seen.

Reboot, run delete (no explicit analyse, no overwrite) 11.5 secs on same data. Can't remember if any filenames seen.

Open browser, get to this point, run delete.... just a min.... 0.241 sec on 0.64 mb. No filenames seen.

Sometimes deletes do seem to take some time. I'm not too bothered, I can wait, but it does seem to be inconsistent.

I have never seen this behavior on any version of CCleaner. During analyze or clean I do not see any files in the screen during the process I just see a green progress bar. After I run analyze I see a list of what will be cleaned and after I run CCleaner and it deletes the files it will list what was cleaned but I have never seen it list any files while analyzing or cleaning and I use CCleaner probably 10 times a day on several machines.

• Moderators
There is a filename displayed in grey typeface

I see the words desktop shortcuts and start menu items listed in grey typeface while analyse is running

If this is the kind of thing you mean I will catch a screenshot of it next time I run it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I see the words desktop shortcuts and start menu items listed in grey typeface while analyse is running

If this is the kind of thing you mean I will catch a screenshot of it next time I run it.

Where are you seeing this? My content area is blank during analyze there is just a progress bar at the top. When it finishes analyzing then the content area fills up with the files that will be cleaned. This happens in a blink of the eye literally.

• Moderators

In the content area, it is only displayed there briefly while the progress bar runs, and not everytime.

I've just tried to get a screenshot but unfortunately I'd just done a clean before I posted the above.

Soon as I can, I'll post one. Not enough rubbish at the moment, and perhaps I need to have those items in the content before it shows up?

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi Anthony,

I think it is a processing speed thing.We have average computers and you use super dooper computers.

P.S. I see most of the items listed on the Windows tab on the screen some a couple of seconds others several seconds some just a flash.

Hi Anthony,

I think it is a processing speed thing.We have average computers and you use super dooper computers.

P.S. I see most of the items listed on the Windows tab on the screen some a couple of seconds others several seconds some just a flash.

No look at this. 3 year old Dell lap top. Average machine. 33MB cleaned in less than a second and I do not see anything during the cleaning or analyzing steps.

t443_20080303171440.jpg

I think the problem revolves around the "Secure File Delete" option.

With this option switched ON, cleaning with 88 files in the Temp Int Files folder took about 9 seconds, the file display probably displaying the filename of about 1 in 10 files.

With the option switched OFF, cleaning is very quick, too fast to quantify, but less than a second. Nothing was displayed in the CCleaner window during this cleaningi process.

I started this thread after updating from an earlier version, and all personalised configuration settings were retained, as is usual in the upgrade process.

Although I can't be 100% certain, I believe I had secure file delete turned on before the update. That would make sense, there's no point only half-hiding your browsing history

IMHO, there is something different in the later version.

When I get chance (possibly tomorrow) I will revert to previous version and run similar tests.

Although I can't be 100% certain, I believe I had secure file delete turned on before the update.

Wasn't there a problem with some of the earlier versions not securely deleting all the files?

• Moderators

My tests, including the 66-second analyse, were all done with normal deletion (no overwrites). Yes, there was a problem with secure deletes some versions ago, but I don't think this is relevant in this case. (I am of course on the latest version.)

My tests, including the 66-second analyse, were all done with normal deletion (no overwrites). Yes, there was a problem with secure deletes some versions ago, but I don't think this is relevant in this case. (I am of course on the latest version.)

daba said things were slow when he used secure deletion with the current version and that he believed he was using secure deletion with the earlier version. Is it possible the earlier version appeared faster to him because it wasn't actually overwriting all the files?

EDIT: daba, how many passes have you set for secure deletion?

• Moderators

I notice in your screenshot Anthony that you don't have the 2 things ticked for cleaning that show up in grey writing for me...startmenu shortcuts and desktop shortcuts.

I do not have secure delete as an option, just normal.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I notice in your screenshot Anthony that you don't have the 2 things ticked for cleaning that show up in grey writing for me...startmenu shortcuts and desktop shortcuts.

I do not have secure delete as an option, just normal.

When I check those two options I still don't see anything during cleaning or analyzing and the speed is the same. I use normal delete not secure.

No look at this. 3 year old Dell lap top. Average machine. 33MB cleaned in less than a second and I do not see anything during the cleaning or analyzing steps.

t443_20080303171440.jpg

Right Anthony,

Now drop that RAM down to around 128 or 256 MB and check again.

Perhaps I should have said "not so average computers" is what we are using. :lol:

P.S. You probably also thought " WHAT A RIDICULOUS OPTION" when they added the Minimize to System Tray option in Options > Advanced. I still think the same thing because I am not going to run some other program while CCleaner is still cleaning and secure deleting what have you.

P.S.S. Believe me! Anthony, you sure are not missing anything special. :lol:

t647_20080304064441.png

t649_20080304064525.png

Run Cleaner 16 MB deleted 2.675 secs

In the CCleaner banner you can see the PC specs I am dealing with.Please no tears of laughter. :lol:

Edited by davey

• Moderators

If you've ran CCleaner once during a Windows session, and then run it again sometime later it will clean the files rather fast with the exception being if secure file deletion is enabled.

Those greyed out items Start Menu Shortcuts and Desktop Shortcuts do cause CCleaner to run slower on my system, which is why I disable them until I install/uninstall software.

daba said things were slow when he used secure deletion with the current version and that he believed he was using secure deletion with the earlier version. Is it possible the earlier version appeared faster to him because it wasn't actually overwriting all the files?

EDIT: daba, how many passes have you set for secure deletion?

Yes, Glenn I think you are right on the money about the prior version seemed to be faster because it was not actually overwriting the data and now it is when daba uses that option in this version v2.05.555 .