Windows XP or Windows Vista?

ishan_rulz

• Moderators

Read a bunch of articles with pros and cons about it to help you decide, especially find out if your most charished software, games, etc., will work with it before plunking down the money for it. I will personally never out of choice use Vista, unless I absolutely have to.

Hopefully Microsoft's next OS beyond Vista will be better and worth getting.

I want to buy a laptop but every laptop I see comes shipped with Vista and I still want to use XP. I'm reluctant to pay ?500 ($1000) for something that comes shipped with an operating system I don't want.

• Moderators
I want to buy a laptop but every laptop I see comes shipped with Vista and I still want to use XP. I'm reluctant to pay ?500 ($1000) for something that comes shipped with an operating system I don't want.

Hi Robbie, I'm sure I've read in a couple of different places on the net, that it's possible, if you shop around enough, and insist upon what you want, to have the retailer install XP for you prior to purchase.

I've no doubt that this request is a very popular one. If you haven't tried it, it's definitely worth a go.

Robbie if you have a Windows XP reinstallation CD, you can use that. if you don't, I think you can also order them online for pretty cheap

I don't like Vista, I will never use it. I'll stick with XP

You have to be careful with that...especially with drivers...some hardware has been having trouble when people have wiped their harddrives and gone back to XP. If you know what you are getting, try to find XP drivers for it, just to be sure.

On Topic - I'm sticking with XP on my Dell, but when I build my own rig, whenever that is, I'll consider Vista.

AJ

i have vista on my laptop and i dont mind it. to be honest for anything i do i havent noticed too big a difference. there are a few annoying things about it, but nothing mild altering. i do have to say after using it for the past 6 months that i prefer xp. now that ive given vista a chance and gotten used to its look and feel and can say that im not making a decision based on any bias, i find xp a little bit more compatible with other products, a bit more user friendly, and there are just more tweaks, and things you can do to xp. vista has a few pros and cons, but i would say that they are mostly aimed at complete computer illiterates which in that case is good ( i could have used it 5 years ago :o) but for someone that knows even a little bit about security, its a bit overboard. ive had to turn most of the features off cause they just annoy me.

given the chance, i think i would do a full reinstall with xp, but my desktop from ibm came with xp "bundled" into its own partition in the computer so i dont have the disks needed to install.

maybe if i could find a set cheap i would though.

Hi Robbie, I'm sure I've read in a couple of different places on the net, that it's possible, if you shop around enough, and insist upon what you want, to have the retailer install XP for you prior to purchase.

I've no doubt that this request is a very popular one.

Dell offer XP with their computers (even if they're not advertised as such as is/was the case in the UK) as do some others I think. I know as I just bought a Dell laptop a couple of months ago which was Vista only but phoned up to insist on XP and got it with very little hassle. Obviously you can see XP would be my choice and I also have no intention of switching to Vista.

Well yesterday I was a happy user of vista and actually rather pleased with it. However when I installed one of the important vista hotfixs I was no longer able to rename folders but instead was greeted with an error message. Also games like BioShock which should work with vista didn't and my wireless card also did not work. In the end I bit the bullet and went back to XP. I shall now carry on using XP until vista is in the SP2 stage