CCleaner slows other programs

leritz

Do not have a clue why my previous post was removed - I trust it was not because I have EXPOSED a SERIOUS FLAW with Crap Cleaner - so I am reposting the same query for all...

After running CCleaner's Cleaner my other programs run exceedingly slow. Has anyone else experienced this?

As a work-a-round, rebooting solves the problem (without running CCleaner again, however).

I am curious why, after running CCleaner, it has such a negative effect on other programs like: Norton DiskDoctor, Norton WinDoctor, Jouni Vuorio's Registry Cleaner, Toni Arts' Easy Cleaner, Ad-Aware, Maurizo Ferreira's OleClean, etc.

I am running the latest version of CCleaner v1.37.456 and all other programs are also of the latest available versions.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you.

Leritz

Hello,

I'm sure that your previous post was not removed due to such a question. :) Are you using the default settings of CCleaner? If not, what are all of your settings?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I'm sure that your previous post was not removed due to such a question. :) Are you using the default settings of CCleaner? If not, what are all of your settings?

Thanks for your reply.

I had no idea that I received a reply to my post. My forum preferences are set to notify me when I receive a reply, but, like the removal or deletion of my previous post, the forum software must have deleted or removed that setting as well.

Regardless, I use CCleaner's default settings except that I have unchecked System/Windows Log Files. In addition, when I look under Settings, all options are unchecked. Nothing in Cookies or Custom, and under Advanced the only options checked are "Show prompt to back up registry issues" and "Save all settings to INI file."

I am running version 1.38.485 and it effects other programs in the same manner as all previous releases. Prior to installing the current CCleaner version, I always use MS' Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the previous version, then I reboot and install the current version.

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Leritz

If you are using windows XP chances are you've set CCleaner to delete old prefetch data. Good idea to leave that box unchecked, from many articles I've read about prefetch. (Can supply a link if you want)

Prefetch assists in loading applications. Cleaning it removes those settings. They will, over time, be re-created. If your computer starts to resume normal speed over the next day or two, then that's probably at least part of the reason.

I've never noticed this, could you post some system spec's.

You may also want to press ctrl + alt + del after running/cleaning/closing CCleaner and make sure no processes are using at 80% - 100% of the CPU other than "System Idle Process", also take note of the cpu usage thing at the bottom of the window if they are let us know.

It is possible you may be low on ram, though if you don't think your system is sluggish and you have Norton running, your system must be a doozy :) !

:lol: my reason for saying this is its known to be a resource hog.

fireryone

If you are using windows XP chances are you've set CCleaner to delete old prefetch data. Good idea to leave that box unchecked, from many articles I've read about prefetch. (Can supply a link if you want)

Prefetch assists in loading applications. Cleaning it removes those settings. They will, over time, be re-created. If your computer starts to resume normal speed over the next day or two, then that's probably at least part of the reason.

Thanks for your reply, Tarq57.

No XP here, and using ABOUT:CONFIG my "network.prefetch-next" setting was changed to FALSE quite some time ago - I'm not a Prefetch fan.

Thanks again!

Leritz

Is it possible that the slowdown is coincidental with another application? I've managed to half kill my system with jv16 reg cleaner. I don't have a high opinion of Norton security, but didn't have any problems with disk doctor and win doctor. The others I don't know.

You might try restoring a reg backup, just in case. Could be a bit of a troubleshoot.

I've not noticed a slowdown, ever, after using CCleaner, and I use it a lot.

I've never noticed this, could you post some system spec's.

You may also want to press ctrl + alt + del after running/cleaning/closing CCleaner and make sure no processes are using at 80% - 100% of the CPU other than "System Idle Process", also take note of the cpu usage thing at the bottom of the window if they are let us know.

It is possible you may be low on ram, though if you don't think your system is sluggish and you have Norton running, your system must be a doozy :) !

:lol: my reason for saying this is its known to be a resource hog.

Thanks for your reply, fireyone.

I run a very lean system. The only item loaded at startup is Pointer, MS software for my trackball mouse. With Pointer loaded, system resources are 96% where the only other program running is Explorer (the desktop). Without Pointer loaded, system resources are 99% where the only program running is Explorer (the desktop).

I do not load anything Norton, McAfee, etc.

After disconnecting from my ISP, using CNTL+ALT+DEL I confirmed the only programs running were Explorer (the desktop) and Pointer; system resources were 89%. After running CCleaner, system resources remained at 89%. I fairly confident that after disconnecting from my ISP, my system resources rarely fall below 80%. I use CNTL+ALT+DEL frequently to monitor DLL that have failed to unload resource hogs.

After disconnecting from my ISP, unloaded unnecessary resource hogs (including Pointer), and running CCleaner, MS' System Monitor reports Processor Usage at 35% to 38%. This range is undoubtedly effected by SYSMON.EXE's monitoring.

Thanks again for your input!

Leritz

It could also be because of the antivirus resident shield, or that the hard disk seriously needs a defrag. Then again Windows may simply need to be rebooted.

Thanks for your reply, Andavari.

Again, I do not run antivirus sheilds or any other resident shield. I defrag my HDD every other day. As stated in my initial post, "As a work-a-round, rebooting solves the problem (without running CCleaner again, however)."

Thanks again.

Leritz

Is it possible that the slowdown is coincidental with another application? I've managed to half kill my system with jv16 reg cleaner. I don't have a high opinion of Norton security, but didn't have any problems with disk doctor and win doctor. The others I don't know.

You might try restoring a reg backup, just in case. Could be a bit of a troubleshoot.

I've not noticed a slowdown, ever, after using CCleaner, and I use it a lot.

Good suggestion, but not here. I've never seen this problem with any other program, just CCleaner.

• Moderators

Leritz,

When you say "no xp here" what operating system are you using? Was it an upgrade?

How much memory do you have?

You mentioned at least 3 other reg cleaners you use as well as CCleaner, perhaps this may contribute to your problem?

With CCleaner there is no need to uninstall the old version and install new, you just install over the old, this saves your settings, although you state under settings you have nothing ticked!!

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Leritz,

When you say "no xp here" what operating system are you using? Was it an upgrade?

How much memory do you have?

You mentioned at least 3 other reg cleaners you use as well as CCleaner, perhaps this may contribute to your problem?

With CCleaner there is no need to uninstall the old version and install new, you just install over the old, this saves your settings, although you state under settings you have nothing ticked!!

Hello hazelnut and thanks for your reply.

98SE with all available updates thru July '06. No upgrade, authentic MS. The same problem exists with another PC with ME, and a third with 2000.

The other registry cleaners do not run automatically and, in my engineering opinion, do not contribute to the problem if they are not loaded, run or running. I do not use the other registry cleaning programs on a daily basis - only if/when new programs are installed or old programs are un-installed (and I never have any programs running in the background, confirmed by using CNTL-ALT-DEL and noting what's listed under the "Close Program" window).

256MB RAM.

Thanks again!

Leritz

• Moderators

I know some destructive registry cleaners can cause system problems such as slowdowns to the point where chkdsk.exe even has problems running at a normal speed, however I've never seen CCleaner ever do anything of the sort. So if you're using allot of registry cleaners something other than CCleaner could have caused the problem. But who knows for sure, as some software on some particular computers can cause some unwanted behaviour.

256MB RAM.

Upgrade your RAM. That will solve your problem.

Memory Upgrade

I can't agree that CCleaner is the cause of your slow down issue. If you upgrade your memory you should be fine. The only thing that CCleaner could do to slow down your programs is clear the prefetch data unless you're cleaning things in the registry that shouldn't be cleaned.

I have run CCleaner on 98SE, 2000, and XP machines for over 1 year and I've never had anything but optimized performance. It is clear that you don't have enough RAM for speed. And hardly enough RAM to run more than one program at a time.

Upgrading your RAM is cheap and will be well worth your time.

Good Luck! :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Upgrade your RAM. That will solve your problem.

Memory Upgrade

I can't agree that CCleaner is the cause of your slow down issue. If you upgrade your memory you should be fine. The only thing that CCleaner could do to slow down your programs is clear the prefetch data unless you're cleaning things in the registry that shouldn't be cleaned.

I have run CCleaner on 98SE, 2000, and XP machines for over 1 year and I've never had anything but optimized performance. It is clear that you don't have enough RAM for speed. And hardly enough RAM to run more than one program at a time.

Upgrading your RAM is cheap and will be well worth your time.

Good Luck! :)

I've been a consulting electrical engineer for 20 years, krit86lr, and while I appreciate your reply, I do not respect nor agree with your suggestion that upgrading RAM is the solution. Specifically, when I have documented evidence associated with two other PCs that have exactly the same problem, one ME and one 2000, and they have 512MB and 1GB respectively. In addition, as noted in my replies hereinabove, Prefetch is DISABLED and therefore has no impact on this issue. Thus your suggestion, while reasonable, is flawed and useless in my regard.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Dave Leritz, P.E.

Director of Engineering

Grant Gilbert Consulting Engineers

I know some destructive registry cleaners can cause system problems such as slowdowns to the point where chkdsk.exe even has problems running at a normal speed, however I've never seen CCleaner ever do anything of the sort. So if you're using allot of registry cleaners something other than CCleaner could have caused the problem. But who knows for sure, as some software on some particular computers can cause some unwanted behaviour.

Thanks for your follow-up reply, Andavari.

As noted in my response above, the other registry cleaners do not run automatically and, in my engineering opinion, do not contribute to the problem if they are not loaded, run or running. I do not use the other registry cleaning programs on a daily basis - only if/when new programs are installed or old programs are un-installed (and I never have any programs running in the background, confirmed by using CNTL-ALT-DEL and noting what's listed under the "Close Program" window).

I agree with "who knows..." and as I mentioned in my initial post (and the repeated post that started these threads), as a work-a-round, rebooting solves the problem (without running CCleaner again, however).

I strongly suspect that there are flaws in the program and that we will simply have to live with them until they are mysteriously resolved in future versions.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Leritz

The other registry cleaners do not run automatically and, in my engineering opinion, do not contribute to the problem if they are not loaded, run or running.

Leritz

Wasn't exactly sure what you meant by "loaded, run, or running". On my system, when it is run at startup, CCleaner runs then shuts off when it is finished. If I run it manually, then I have to shut it off. In either case, it uses a lot of memory when running, but none when shut off. . .that is, it doesn't run in the background.

It it is running in the background on your system, I think you can just select your choices and shut it off. It will still run at startup. Be sure and wait for one of the other members to confirm this, it works for me but on Win XP.

Also the Beginners guide is available at:

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/cclea...innersGuide.zip

Good luck. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Wasn't exactly sure what you meant by "loaded, run, or running". On my system, when it is run at startup, CCleaner runs then shuts off when it is finished. If I run it manually, then I have to shut it off. In either case, it uses a lot of memory when running, but none when shut off. . .that is, it doesn't run in the background.

It it is running in the background on your system, I think you can just select your choices and shut it off. It will still run at startup. Be sure and wait for one of the other members to confirm this, it works for me but on Win XP.

Also the Beginners guide is available at:

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/cclea...innersGuide.zip

Good luck. :)

Rephrasing...

the other registry cleaners do not run automatically and do not contribute to the problem if they are not loaded; or

the other registry cleaners do not run automatically and do not contribute to the problem if they are not run; or

the other registry cleaners do not run automatically and do not contribute to the problem if they are not running; or

the other registry cleaners do not run automatically and do not contribute to the problem if they do not load in the background; or

the other registry cleaners do not run automatically and do not contribute to the problem if they are not loaded in my Startup Group.

The ONLY program that loads in the background, the ONLY program that loads in my Startup Group is Pointer a MS program for my trackball mouse. When this program is removed from my Startup Group, the problem with CCleaner remains the same - ergo, removing Pointer has no negative effect on my system whatsoever.

I do not run CCleaner at Startup, and I do have CCleaner running or loaded in the background (as part of my Startup Configuration or as part of my Startup file).

I only run CCleaner manually to minimize its impact on system resources.

I have read that Beginner's guide and all available info available at www.CCleaner.com

Thanks,

Leritz

Hello,Please clarify which CCleaner process/es you are running. The "Cleaner",which can clean Old prefetch data and variuos files,but NO registry entries, OR "Issues" which is the registry cleaner. They are seperate processes and run seperately. If you are running both, maybe try running just one and see the effects to try to better point to which process is causing the problem. ME and 2000 handle memory much better than 98.

Two possibilities I can think of, either you've gummed up your registry or you got too many rocks for your wheelbarrow. :lol:

Seriously, I think krit86lr is right. More memory. 256 isn't much these days. I just had to put the max allowed memory in a 5 year old computer. Still running fine, but newer applications just take more.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I've been using CCleaner since pretty much the beginning, and have used every single version put out since then without ANY problems whatsoever. I've put it on every single family members and friends computers (easily dozens) without any adverse effects (all windows xp and now vista, with ram between 256 mb and 2 gb).

To be honest, with the possible exception of firefox, I can't think of any other freeware product that is more stable, more reliable and more of "must have" than CCleaner.

I am guessing that there is another source of for your problem other than CCleaner.

I've been using CCleaner since pretty much the beginning, and have used every single version put out since then without ANY problems whatsoever. I've put it on every single family members and friends computers (easily dozens) without any adverse effects (all windows xp and now vista, with ram between 256 mb and 2 gb).

To be honest, with the possible exception of firefox, I can't think of any other freeware product that is more stable, more reliable and more of "must have" than CCleaner.

I am guessing that there is another source of for your problem other than CCleaner.

Ditto to all of the above. The reason that there isn't information on this topic other than prefetch data is because no one else has had this problem, or if they did the prefetch was the problem. CCleaner is very specific in what it does. And the only 2 likely causes for such a problem would be registry and prefetch.

Something else is going on I think. And either way it sounds sucky. :(