Ten Reasons Why You Should/shouldn't Get Vista

Humpty

It's all too easy to get caught up in the million dollar marketing engine as we approach the consumer release of Windows Vista, so lets not forget that it isn't the second coming, and by all counts is an upgrade you can do without.

There are many lists out there on why to get Vista, so here's ours on why not to.

Ten reasons not to get Vista

Sure, the earlier versions included some bold features which were dropped for the sake of familiarity in the final version, but there's still lots to appreciate about the "RTM" version of Vista.

I'm not talking here about a nicer user interface or security - I figure APC readers already know how to run a secure XP box and how to de-Fisher-Price it.

Here are the real benefits: things that will actually make a difference to you day-to-day.

Ten reasons you should get Vista

• Moderators

The craziest thing about vista that I've heard is that in order for it to play high deff content the studio made them do some crazy stuff. Things like if the power fluctuates at all the computer will shut down/restart.

Lately I've been seriously looking for alternatives. I've tried various linux distros.(ubuntu, linux mint, vector, pclinuxos, mepis, mandriva one, and a couple others.) I plan to try suse soon but I don't want to download a 5 gig file. :( (I'll order a dvd I guess)

The biggest issue is hardware support. (finally got wifi working but no sound, or excelerated graphics on my ati card.) I'm not fiddling around with drivers, I refuse. If I want to do that I would go back to windows 95/98.

I don't really need a new computer anytime soon, but in a few years when that happens, I can guarantee you that it wont be running vista.

• Moderators
I don't really need a new computer anytime soon, but in a few years when that happens, I can guarantee you that it wont be running vista.

I'm interested in a Mac laptop that I've seen in numerous shows on TV that has a rather large display. About the only thing I'd miss are a handful of Windows-based applications however those alone wouldn't compel me to keep using Windows. Then again since I'll be getting a PS3 later (no sooner) I'm interested in the capabilities it may have down the road.

Also Has anybody noticed the similarity's between Vista and Mac OS x 10? There is quite a few video's on youtube Mocking Microsoft in saying they have no mind of their own and copied idea's. :D

Comodo Firewall Pro 2.4

Avira Antivir PersonalEdition Classic

Spyware Terminator (Realtime & Hips enabled)

I won't be using Windows Vista till 2008 at the most. EVEN after my computer upgrade I won't even consider it. It's rather pointless as most games won't install on it for now. Device and App's. are lacking. Older products from company's at least 70% will NOT release updated drivers to support Windows Vista. Just sit back with Windows Xp Professional.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• 2 years later...

Windows Vista looks like a no-no for me too. I have a lot of windows xp (genuine) product keys and it looks like up xped up for a long time. I kno everyone loves vista's aero but it is just a ram hog.

The computer is mightier than the sword

link1.gif link1.gif

Click here for cool stuff