Windows media player 11

rridgely

• Moderators

Ok I installed it. It seems ok.

screenshot

untitledfp8.th.jpg

I didn't think I would like the way its library works but its ok. I only imported a few albums but if I put my entire collection in it, it might get old searching through it. I'm going to play with it a bit.

Oh and the theme is cool but it looks crappy with windows classic. ;)

BTW... First time I've listened to Appetite for Destruction in a while. Killer album. B)

• Moderators

I'm also going to find a WMP10 installer first.(just in case :P)

WMP 10 on Filehippo.com.

WMP 11 Final on Filehippo.com.

Oh and the theme is cool but it looks crappy with windows classic. ;)

The theme is what turned me off of it when I tried WMP 11 Beta, however with that said the included encoding functionalities like allowing the encoding of already extracted tracks such as .wav were a much needed inclusion. The WMA Encoder Pro sounded really good to me and would be very suitable if a DAP supported it completely which is why I may look into Microsoft's DAP called Zune.

The WMA Encoder Pro sounded really good to me and would be very suitable if a DAP supported it completely which is why I may look into Microsoft's DAP called Zune.

i've heard bad things about Zune such as when you transfer your files over to it, it automatically adds DRM to the files(as well as a limited time for playing the songs). as for WMA Encoder Pro, i believe that it uses algorithms which are also used in AAC(including Parametric Stereo and Spectral band replication). that just makes me wonder if it's legal or not since AAC is patented.

as for WMP11, it's slow as hell. the GUI looks ugly; but aside from that, when i had it on shuffle, it took 5 to 10 seconds just to pick another song. i also saw that gapless playback was missing which is not good for me. however, i do like its new mini-mode. quite nice.

if there's anything i have to say, it's that WMP10 was better than WMP11. but then again, WMP goes from bad to worse everytime there's an update.

• Moderators

as for WMP11, it's slow as hell. the GUI looks ugly; but aside from that, when i had it on shuffle, it took 5 to 10 seconds just to pick another song. i also saw that gapless playback was missing which is not good for me. however, i do like its new mini-mode. quite nice.

if there's anything i have to say, it's that WMP10 was better than WMP11. but then again, WMP goes from bad to worse everytime there's an update.

Indeed it is slow, and it's so ugly only it's developer could love it. As for gapless playback I encoded some tracks using WMA Encoder Pro and to my surprise it had gapless playback which was something I never expected.

Other than that WMP 11 got on my nerves in a hurry because each time it was launched it would cause Microsoft ActiveSync to startup and request a DAP. :rolleyes: I was thinking while it's annoying me to connect a DAP it should have come with a free one because I don't own a f'n DAP, where's the exit button.

Something else I thought was cheesy was the integration with MTV's URGE, bleh I don't need that music store software on my system although I realize a custom install allows for it's non-inclusion. Even if URGE isn't installed you still get to see the URGE graphic on the upper right of the GUI - it can't be gotten rid of.

In the end I uninstalled WMP 11, the whole feel of it is really alien to me, whilst I could barely to almost put up with WMP 10 the same can't be said about WMP 11.

MS has given me a very valuable hint with their strangely designed and unconventional (to me at least) new releases of IE 7 and WMP 11 and that is; avoid and forget about Windows Vista.

Indeed it is slow, and it's so ugly only it's developer could love it. As for gapless playback I encoded some tracks using WMA Encoder Pro and to my surprise it had gapless playback which was something I never expected.

MS has given me a very valuable hint with their strangely designed and unconventional (to me at least) new releases of IE 7 and WMP 11 and that is; avoid and forget about Windows Vista.

i tried playing some WavPack files(galess since they're...lossless) and i didn't see any gaplessness there so i guess it only works with WMA and maybe mp3.

same for me. both IE7 and WMP11 are really slow and ugly. and since Vista is made to look similar to those applications, then there's almost no point in getting Vista. i originally planned to get Vista because of WinFS but since they left that out, i'm not gonna bother.

I have been using WMP 11 for a few months now works great on my end I like the look and function alot better than Ver.10 if I cant play a file on WMP 11 I use my VLC player. Also whatever Ver. of MP you have installed when you install 11 you can roll it back with no problems to the previous installed Ver.

• Moderators

I've been using it since last night.

Quite honestly I like it. Its pretty snappy for me and its not eating any more resources then winamp or mediamonkey would.(26000k not counting the other two process that run all the time(11500 combined))

I just downloaded the new itunes(that was released today). I doubt all use it long term but eh its worth a shot. Now I have to decide between MM and WMP11.

• Moderators

I just downloaded the new itunes(that was released today). I doubt all use it long term but eh its worth a shot. Now I have to decide between MM and WMP11.

Uninstall QuickTime Alternative first, because if you don't when iTunes installs QuickTime neither will work - that was my previous experience with having both on my system not so long ago.

At least iTunes although a bloated pig in its own right is a hell of allot more straight forward than WMP11, and if their were only two media players available and no others ("iTunes and WMP11") and if given a choice between them I would choose iTunes simply for it's design characteristics.

• Moderators

Ok no more itunes for me ever!

I installed it and when I launched it, it was using 60000k. WMP is using 12000k right now. Plus I had to install buggy quicktime which crashes everytime I open it. <_<

Andavari did you try WMP11 final? I've been using it since I installed it and its been really solid. The interface looks nice with a luna type theme. For now it just seems to work(well). :)

I kinda like it. :P

• Moderators

Andavari did you try WMP11 final? I've been using it since I installed it and its been really solid. The interface looks nice with a luna type theme. For now it just seems to work(well). :)

I tried the beta about one month ago and hated it!

I tried the final release and hated it too!

I don't like the black theme it has one bit whatsoever, it looks like "DepressingAmp" to me.

The only thing I like in WMP11 was the WMP Encoder Pro and that's it, but that alone isn't enough for me to upgrade from WMP10 to WMP11. The one and only way I'll ever upgrade is when/if they discontinue security updates for WMP10 then I'll have no choice but to upgrade.

I tried the beta about one month ago and hated it!

I tried the final release and hated it too!

I don't like the black theme it has one bit whatsoever, it looks like "DepressingAmp" to me.

The only thing I like in WMP11 was the WMP Encoder Pro and that's it, but that alone isn't enough for me to upgrade from WMP10 to WMP11. The one and only way I'll ever upgrade is when/if they discontinue security updates for WMP10 then I'll have no choice but to upgrade.

well, there's another problem.......whenever you open wmp11, it always open to the library. how do you stop this?