CCleaner stopped working even after uninstall/reinstall, please help

Hi there:

I have a Windows 10 computer and have had no issues with CCleaner (Free version), I have the latest.

All of a sudden last night it stopped working. It will scan and show how many trackers it needs to remove but when it comes time to removing anything, the bar that would go from left to right to show progress never begins. I tried several times leaving CCleaner running for 20 minutes to see if there were progress (and no). 

I uninstalled last night and reinstalled this morning but no luck.

Please help.

Thank you in advance!

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Oldrocker67 said:

Since it is an ongoing issue, are the developers aware to make a patch for the update rather than receive endless emails about the same issue?

Thanks to those that replied today.

Developers rarely make a patch for CCleaner instead they release on a monthly basis.

The developers are pretty opaque when it comes to bug fixes until sometimes  just before a release and often until the release.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Can somebody please explain to me how a version of a software could be released (free or paid) with a major flaw?

Wouldn't there be a team to test the particular version first? 

If for example 57.2 percent of the users are having the same issue I am, wouldn't that mean that within the margin of plus or minus 4 percent, the testing staff at CCleaner would have the same as the consumer?

Thanks for all replies thus far.

• Moderators

It appears to be affecting a sub-set of users, but of course it is annoying if you are one of those users.

From what I can see from the reports so far it's an issue with updating particular software, or softwares.

It's only affecting Health Check,
only if you have CCleaner Pro.
and only if you have a particular software, or softwares, to update.
(Your Antivirus/Firewall rules may or may not also be involved, but it doesn't seem to be a main factor).

The obvious fix will be to remove the offending software(s) from the list of those to be updated - once you know what software that is.

I have no idea just what software that might be, but presumably it's one of the ones added to the updating list in v6.21.
It would take testing to find, or for affected users to report what software Tools>Software Updater was finding for them to see if something common could be spotted.
(I will note that the lists of what softwares to update are slightly different in Health Check than the seperate Software Updater, that might help the devs track it down).

So it's a combination of at least 3 factors, one of which is dependent on what other software the user has on their machine and if it's up to date or not.
Such combinations can and do get missed in testing.
There is only limited testing time for any release, which means that you can't test every single possibly combination only the more common ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are affected then you can try using Tools>Software Updater to update what it finds a couple at a time.
Others have reported that fixes the issue for them.

If you don't want to try that, or if it doesn't work for you, then I suggest that for the moment you use Custom Clean instead of Health Check.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I have the same problem.  In the Health Check when I said to Scan PC I would get the message "Ccleaner Pro Edition (Not Responding)."  I tried everything everybody else has tried with no success.  Then while I was trying to think of what else I could do while the message was displayed the program suddenly came back to life and finished the scan.  It gave me the results and when I said to fix my PC it was the same drill.  After saying it was not responding it came back to life and ran again.  I love the program and use it everytime I close down but what we have here is bogus program update.  If this keeps up and Ccleaner doesn't fix it, it will make Norton and other cleaning apps look a lot more attractive.

• Moderators

We are now also told that a temporary fix is in place and being automatically distributed.

Health Check should now start workng again for those who were affected by this issue.

The full fix will then be applied with the March update.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you once again Nukead and everyone that posted.

I tried CCleaner this morning and it was perfect!

Question please, when a fix was needed how is it done automatically? without needing the consumer to download or reinstall?

Thanks!

• Moderators

@Oldrocker67

I suggest you read all of this thread to get an overall view of how it happens and what to do if you don't like it doing that.

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/64668-ccleaner-update-installed-on-my-pc-without-my-consent/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Oldrocker67 said:

Question please, when a fix was needed how is it done automatically? without needing the consumer to download or reinstall?

There is an 'Emergency updater' which runs as a scheuled task at startup, and at a set time. then every 12:00.

It is meant for use in situations like this bug, so that simple fixes can be rolled out automatically without the user having to do anything.
It has been used for that purpose before.

Some users don't like the fact that it could update things without their knowledge, and there is an element of trust needed.
But there again only slightly more trust than trusting that any regular update is safe to instal.

(When eveybody's CCleaner was compromised back in 2017 it was through the regular updates, in fact as I recall the emergency updater was brough out as a response to that breach to make sure that everyone could be automatically updated onto a 'clean' version).

5 hours ago, nukecad said:

Thanks again to hazelnut and Nukecad for the recent intel. Thanks for the explanation that a fix can be done without us updating the software. Both enjoy the weekend and all the other fine folks on the thread too!