NEW UPDATE OF CCLEANER deleted all my passwords

fleovey

Now I have to login to all my FIREFOX saved password sites  --- restored all my logins and passwords, run CCleaner again and the same happened --- never had this problem before. And yes, no options were changed and PASSWORDS is NOT checked

Edited by fleovey

• Moderators

This is a common misunderstanding.

The entry you mention says 'Saved Passwords' and if you tick it then as it says it will remove all your saved passwords from Firefox.

However what you are reporting is that you are being logged out of websites,  which is a different thing.
Your Saved Paswords have not been removed and are still saved in Firefox. If you go to Settings>Privacy & Security>Logins and Passwords>Saved Logins you'll see them all.

To stop CCleaner from logging you out of websites:

1. In Custom Clean untick 'Session' for Firefox. (It's that Session information that tells a browser which tabs were open and which websites you were logged into).
  2. Don't run Health Check, only use Custom Clean with 'Session' unticked. (Health Check uses it's own rules and ignores those ticks/unticks).

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Did you read what I posted above? Did you do what I said to do?

Are you actually losing the saved passwords, or are you just being logged out of websites and having to log in again?

In Firefox if you go to Settings>Privacy & Security>Logins and Passwords>Saved Logins have your saved passwords gone?

Can you screenshot your settings for cleaning Firefox like I did above?

Are you using Health Check or Custom Clean?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin

Fresh install of 5.90 - form information and passwords still defaults to unchecked:

image.png

Cleaning run:

image.png

... and checking in Firefox, all Logins and Passwords still intact as expected:

image.png

Until we can get a confirmed case, moving this out of the Bug Reporting for the time being.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 2 weeks later...

I use Chrome. I too, ran a recent update of CCleaner.  Not only did I have relog in with my passwords to all the various programs I access routinely, BUT BOTH hotmail & gmail no longer recognized my passwords!!!  This led to a Catch-22 crisis as each needs to send a code to reset the password.  Since I could not get into either, I could not access a code.  The hoops I had to jump through took 2 days to finally get into my emails.

• Moderators

Did you use 'Health Check' or 'Custom Clean'?

They do different things.

• Moderators

No you can't run both at the same time. (But you could run one and then the other).
They are quite different, so you should know which one you were using.

In Custom Clean the thing that will clear out your current logins and current open tabs is 'Session' for the browser.

But as you are talking mainly about hotmail and gmail then I suspect that this may be something to do with the changes that Chrome is currently making to various settings?
Hotmail in particular is getting a bit long in the tooth so I'm not sure what the recent/ongoing Chrome changes may be doing with it?

The CCleaner developers keep up with such browser changes, but it's always going to be a game of 'they have changed that so we have to change this' and catching up takes time.

They usually do very well, but sometimes changes catch everyone on the hop.

Seems to me that if Chrome, hotmail or gmail were making changes that caused this, then there would be others with my experience.  Secondly, I occasionally log into my hotmail from a remote computer belonging to a relative.  That still worked, e.g., hotmail accepted my password.  So the problem was just on my personal computer.

• 8 months later...

I am having the same problem with being logged out of my websites every time I use CCleaner. 

I use Chrome Version 107.0.5304.107 (Official Build) (64-bit).  CCleaner Pro v6.06.10144 (64bit).  Every single time I do a Custom Clean I have to relog into all password protected websites.  Yes, the password info is still on Chrome.  It's being constantly logged out that is aggravating, such that I am using Custom Clean a lot less. 

And yes, Sessions is unchecked, even for the browsers I don't use.

Guest johnccleaner

Please also ensure that the cookies for any sites that you want to retain your login for are listed in the "Cookies to Keep" section of Options > Cookies.

Cookies are commonly used to retain login tokens, so when cookies are cleaned (whether by CCleaner, other cleaning software, some security software, or even the browser itself), that can cause you to lose these login tokens, requiring you to log in again.

More information available here: https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/204043804 

• 1 month later...

Idk how hard it is to just get them the info they need to confirm the issue.. I'll do it. This is actually a bug and the reason I no longer pay for pro.. It also removed all credit card info, and crypto wallets.  This happens in fire fox, brave, and chrome.   MSG TO ALL ZOOMER DEVS, FROM DEV OPS ENGENEER. IF SOMETHING BREAKS YOUR UPDATE IS USELESS NO ONE CARES WHAT FEATURES YOU ADDED ROLL IT BACK UNTIL IT WORKS.

image.png.4e3425ff4a17eeb17f19a1b6e085f81c.png

result

image.png.28125d8779c606328d6b51c0c04606c1.png

I use CCleaner Free Portable and never use the Health Check feature (only Custom Clean), so could someone confirm if the following paragraph in the support article I’m Using Health Check. Can I Customize What Is Being Cleaned? is still correct:

Health Check doesn't save your cleaning preferences:

Health Check reverts to its recommended default settings once you've finished cleaning and optimizing your computer. If you want to customize what Health Check cleans, you need to re-do this manually each time you use it using the method we mentioned above.

I know that Health Check always uses the "recommended" (default) settings of Custom Clean and that any changes you make in Custom Clean do not affect what items are cleaned by Health Check (see the support article Will Changes I Make in Custom Clean be Stored if I Use Health Check Later?), but does the quote above mean that that if you change the basic customization options for web browser and system data cleaning in Health Check (e.g., if you disable cookie cleaning in the Privacy tab of Health Check) that Health Check will just revert back to its default settings the next time you run it?
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2486 * Firefox v109.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2211.5-1.1.19900.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.20-230-1.0.1868 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.07.10191
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Moderators
4 hours ago, lmacri said:

but does the quote above mean that that if you change the basic customization options for web browser and system data cleaning in Health Check (e.g., if you disable cookie cleaning in the Privacy tab of Health Check) that Health Check will just revert back to its default settings the next time you run it?
-----------

Yes

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

That's correct - Health Check uses it's own cleaning rules and anything that you do change in Health Check is 'one time only'.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2022 at 19:19, johnccleaner said:

Please also ensure that the cookies for any sites that you want to retain your login for are listed in the "Cookies to Keep" section of Options > Cookies.

Cookies are commonly used to retain login tokens, so when cookies are cleaned (whether by CCleaner, other cleaning software, some security software, or even the browser itself), that can cause you to lose these login tokens, requiring you to log in again.

More information available here: https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/204043804 

Why why why make health check ignore your setting choices and do whatever it wants?  There should have been a big notice that it does this, if they do nothing else.  tonight I got bit by health check.  And I, like countless others, made sure i set everything as I wanted - NOT to mess with my cookies, but seems it has a mind of it's own because I lost 3 yrs of login info for websites critical to my research, plus all my husband's military/gov login info, plus so much more.  Doesn't make sense, why if so many users are having the same problem, they wouldn't remove that feature (i.e. pc health check), or, oh I don't know, maybe rework it so it DOES do what you want based on your setting choices, or as I said, at the very least provide their users with a pop up notice the 1st time you use health check and TELL you  that doesn''t matter what you want, health check won't listen to any choices you make, so don't bother trying to control me thru settings.  Your gonna lose EVERYTHING if you run health check,  I too, installed professional ccleaner for the 14 day trial, and today was 1st day.  I am so upset.  I know there's no way to get back what has been taken from me, and in what I feel is a deceitful manner.  This is the worst experience I've ever had with any software in last 30 years.  CCleaner, not interested in ANY version now.  It's coming off as fast as I installed it.  I already have read this post, so I get it now,  Still, shame on you for letting this continue to happen.  I wonder who your next victim will be.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/01/2023 at 21:54, taximeow said:

Why why why make health check ignore your setting choices and do whatever it wants?  There should have been a big notice that it does this, if they do nothing else.  tonight I got bit by health check.  And I, like countless others, made sure i set everything as I wanted - NOT to mess with my cookies, but seems it has a mind of it's own because I lost 3 yrs of login info for websites critical to my research, plus all my husband's military/gov login info, plus so much more.  Doesn't make sense, why if so many users are having the same problem, they wouldn't remove that feature (i.e. pc health check), or, oh I don't know, maybe rework it so it DOES do what you want based on your setting choices, or as I said, at the very least provide their users with a pop up notice the 1st time you use health check and TELL you  that doesn''t matter what you want, health check won't listen to any choices you make, so don't bother trying to control me thru settings.  Your gonna lose EVERYTHING if you run health check,  I too, installed professional ccleaner for the 14 day trial, and today was 1st day.  I am so upset.  I know there's no way to get back what has been taken from me, and in what I feel is a deceitful manner.  This is the worst experience I've ever had with any software in last 30 years.  CCleaner, not interested in ANY version now.  It's coming off as fast as I installed it.  I already have read this post, so I get it now,  Still, shame on you for letting this continue to happen.  I wonder who your next victim will be.  

ABSOLUTELY!    I was a next victim.  NEVER AGAIN with Ccleaner, disgusting, this is absolutely unacceptable; the deleting of ANY data WITHOUT WARNING is completely unacceptable. And it gained me nothing!  I lost recycle bin stuff I had been deliberately keeping (yes, I have older backups, too, so nothing was "truly" lost except precious time, as I had to restore my Firefox and Chrome profiles from the last nightly backup, and contingency).   For shame.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, zornqui said:

I lost recycle bin stuff I had been deliberately keeping

Why would you even do that?

The recycle bin is for things you have deleted, if you deliberately want to keep something then you don't delete it.

If you are not sure if you want to keep it or not then you put it somewhere else until you are sure, you don't delete it to the bin.

Because I may have accidentally deleted something, and I have an occasional process where I review the bin before I purge it.  Normally, a process warns before it purges the recycle bin, so that I may then review at that time, if I feel there's any doubt.  

• Moderators
6 hours ago, zornqui said:

Normally, a process warns before it purges the recycle bin,

However it is expected that you know that if you use a cleaning app it is going to remove temporary files,.
After all that is the whole point of running a cleaning app.

The Recycle Bin is simply temporary files, ie. soft-deleted (no longer wanted) files waiting to be fully deleted.

Windows itself can/will purge items from the Bin after they have been there for 30 days - without warning.

The Recycle Bin is not a safe place to 'store' things that you might want later.

So if you do want the files, or might want them in future, then don't delete them to the Bin.
(Or back them up somewhere before deleting them to the bin).

CCleaner does give warnings about deletions - unless you have turned the warnings off, or told it not to show them again.
And most people do turn the warnings off, and/or often forget that they've previously ticked "Do not show me this message again" when one popped up.

It would be tedious if each time you run a clean you get a warning for each individual file, of category/section of files, that will be deleted.
Which is why most people turn the warnings off and tick "Do not show me this message again".

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators
58 minutes ago, JohnU said:

Same issue here!!!  

Which one, there are various missunderstandings and issues above.

Please start a new thread, explaining just what issue(s) you are seeing.
Please give as much detail as you can.