Winrar free on sunday

rridgely

cool, ive been using it for a while but everytime i open up, i just get a little error box that i have to click out of.

great program though!

I could be interested years ago, but now, so many free alternatives out there, 7zip, izarc, zip genius...

it is just not that attractive at this time though I might still download for the heck of FREE:)

Thanks, but no thanks. I am happy with 7-Zip.

Free since day one.

I'm a bit of a 7-zip fan too, opens everything I throw at it and has never let me down.

Has Winrar got any advantages over 7-zip?

• Moderators

Has Winrar got any advantages over 7-zip?

• GUI.

• RAR archive format can have a recovery record from 1-10%.

• Backup compression profiles, which I have customized to do every single backup on my system, they're also ususable via a shortcut or in a batch file.

• Able to update and add files, even to solid archives.

• The ability to use HTML in SFX archives, e.g.; have a set font, bold text, coloured text, horizontial separation bar, etc.

Disadvantages:

• Not free, even if it's being offered for one day.

• RAR archive format is slower than the 7z format.

• 7z format typically has better compression ratios.

That's all I can think about it because I haven't fully dug into what 7-Zip can do, however if WinRAR disappeared or never existed I'd use 7-Zip.

I wonder which WinRAR website is going to host this:

Official International WinRAR website http://www.win-rar.com/ which I notice is down until 0:00 CET until Sunday 30th, or http://www.rarsoft.com/.

• GUI.

That's all I can think about it because I haven't fully dug into what 7-Zip can do, however if WinRAR disappeared or never existed I'd use 7-Zip.

ummm 7-Zip also has a GUI. it doesn't look as great as WinRAR's GUI but it gets the job done.

also, i'm not sure about this, but i don't think that WinRAR supports 64-bit systems while 7-Zip does. you can even achieve faster compression with 7-Zip running under it :D

I actually switched from 7-Zip to IZArc today, and like it.

izarc is pretty good never let me down except once, but by this time, the future of izarc is not clear, it seems the author is gonna to rewrite it.

• Moderators

ummm 7-Zip also has a GUI. it doesn't look as great as WinRAR's GUI but it gets the job done.

Yes I'm aware 7-Zip has a GUI.

Seems the server is overwhelmed. :(

Yup! Too bad it's just for one day only and is only on one website because allot of people that want it may not end up getting it.

Try the free offer page http://www.win-rar.com/bestoverallutility/ in Internet Explorer, it takes forever to load but at least IE doesn't give up on attempting to load the page like Opera and Firefox do.

Explorer, it takes forever to load but at least IE doesn't give up on attempting to load the page like Opera and Firefox do.

I use the Try Again Firefox extension, automatically reloads the page and usually brings the page up correctly at first attempt in my experience.