help find cures for sicknesses!

TheFiresInTheSky

volunteer your computer and download ud agent!

its a small program that runs in the background and doesnt even slow your computer down!

help find cures for cancer, anthrax, smallpox, and Human Proteome Folding.

current project, human proteome folding.

how it works, here

download, here

you can make a difference!

• Moderators

Sorry but I think such an application is pure bulls**t! Such a cure is only going to be found either in some lab, or by someone stumbling upon some miracle plant which may have already been destroyed in the rain forest.

Sorry but I think such an application is pure bulls**t! Such a cure is only going to be found either in some lab, or by someone stumbling upon some miracle plant which may have already been destroyed in the rain forest.

Well there is some merit to this project IMO. If you'd checked the site you'd have seen the programme is not trying to find cures for illnesses, it is actually analysing the structure of the human genome, which would apparently take 1,000,000 years of computational time on a single up-to-date PC. It is the information gained from this that they would hope to use to better understand certain illnesses and aid the search for cures to those illnesses ('in some lab' as you put it). If I remember rightly the mapping of the human genome, completed in 2003, also used this type of shared computer resource system.

At least check something out before writing it off as 'pure bulls**t' <_<

Well there is some merit to this project IMO. At least check something out before writing it off as 'pure bulls**t' <_<

Agreed, and agreed. I think the project is brilliant, and I love the altruistic approach as well. Thanks for the post Aaron. I read a lot about this a while ago on MG's forum...they are big supporters of this project.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

http://predictor.scripps.edu/

I've been doing Predictor@Home. It uses the same infastructure as SETI - so you can split your work units up and divide the load 50/50, 5/95, w/e.

Seems a bit more legit to me anyway.

Predictor@home is a world-community experiment and effort to use distributed world-wide-web volunteer resources to assemble a supercomputer able to predict protein structure from protein sequence. Our work is aimed at testing and evaluating new algorithms and methods of protein structure prediction.

Well, some universities run this kind of stuff too.

And if not for anything else, just try it out for fun, or to compete on the rank of who analyze the most. :P

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Or spamming, just adding 'I agree' to every thread :rolleyes:

OMG! Rather than thinking he's a spammer why don't you give him the benefit of the doubt and consider the possiblity that he's trying to get involved.

Be nice to the newbies....jeeeeeezzzzzzzzz

Ignore E! :P

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Either you're trying to be nice, or a smartass. :unsure:

Probably a smartass, but what does it matter? He is the same age as Eldamem (sp?). LOL

Don't even worry about it Andavari. ;) Some day the flu will be cured just for you. lmao