why no updates to Defraggler in a year?

Melchior

v2.22.995 (22 May 2018)

I wonder why Piriform has not released any updates to Defraggler since that date?

Edited by Melchior

(PC Specs)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO   RAM: 32GB, 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4
GPU: EVGA/nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB    GFX Drivers: Nvidia v551.76

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Himeko said:

About 2 years now, I think it has been abandoned.

that would be sad... considering I use it everyday...

(PC Specs)

• Admin

@Himeko @Melchior:Not abandoned.  Quite the contrary, the version of Defraggler that is used as part of the CCleaner Cloud business product gets updated on a fairly regular basis.  Plan was to fold those changes back into the consumer desktop product at the end of last year - but the release freeze we had bumped out the timeline.  With 100x the users, CCleaner is always going to get more attention that Defraggler - but we're still looking to get a Defraggler update out later this year.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

7 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

@Himeko @Melchior:Not abandoned.  Quite the contrary, the version of Defraggler that is used as part of the CCleaner Cloud business product gets updated on a fairly regular basis.  Plan was to fold those changes back into the consumer desktop product at the end of last year - but the release freeze we had bumped out the timeline.  With 100x the users, CCleaner is always going to get more attention that Defraggler - but we're still looking to get a Defraggler update out later this year.

ok.... :(  can't be helped then... well I will wait for it..

(PC Specs)

• 1 month later...

Dave is there any update yet on a timetable  as to when the Defraggler changes will go live?

its June now...

(PC Specs)

• 1 year later...

Its now June of 2021 and still no updates for Defraggler.. :(

so a whole year as passed.. :(

so disappointing..

(PC Specs)

• 2 weeks later...

bump...

and no one from Piriform has replied to this thread in a long time..

(PC Specs)

dear Piriform please respond again...

Defraggler is one of my favorite programs and I use it every day...

(PC Specs)

• 3 weeks later...

On 08/07/2021 at 07:38, Melchior said:

dear Piriform please respond again...

Defraggler is one of my favorite programs and I use it every day...

Just out of curiosity, what update are you looking for?   What feature are you missing?  Defraggler works fine for me unless I am overlooking something.  Also, why do you run it every day?  Modern HDDs shouldn't need that unless you are running a FAT file system.  Running every day is probably putting unnecessary strain on your drive.

11 minutes ago, PSUHammer said:

Just out of curiosity, what update are you looking for?   What feature are you missing?  Defraggler works fine for me unless I am overlooking something.  Also, why do you run it every day?  Modern HDDs shouldn't need that unless you are running a FAT file system.  Running every day is probably putting unnecessary strain on your drive.

for updates the usual bug fixes etc...

Piriform said they have been updating Defraggler for the cloud version for their business customers.. but have left us free users out in the cold... :(

(PC Specs)

Just now, Melchior said:

for updates the usual bug fixes etc...

Piriform said they have been updating Defraggler for the cloud version for their business customers.. but have left us free users out in the cold... :(

I guess what I am asking is what bug are you looking for to be resolved?  What isn't working?  

the well % gauge for completion of a defrag be it quick or full is not very accurate and never reaches 100% completion..

for a single file defrag (which is one of my favorite features) it usual reaches 45% or so.. and around 70% if I am quick defraging a lot more files..

It seems to be working fine other wise.. it hasn't corrupted my system or caused it to crash, so all is good there..

well whatever other improvements they could possible think to make to it..

(PC Specs)

• 1 month later...

@PSUHammer

Just out of curiosity, what update are you looking for?   What feature are you missing?

I guess what I am asking is what bug are you looking for to be resolved?  What isn't working?  

This and this for instance — definitely severe issues that definitely need to be fixed.

Defraggler works fine for me unless I am overlooking something.

See above. Huge shortcomings with “sparse” files (an issue I experienced and reported in detail two years ago) and with NTFS-compressed files (I didn't experience this one first-hand but it would be consistent with what I observed, and I sure don't want to see the result of such a mess).

Modern HDDs shouldn't need that unless you are running a FAT file system.  Running every day is probably putting unnecessary strain on your drive.

One thing that is quite common and that can dramatically increase fragmentation, thus significantly reduce performance, is downloading large files simultaneously. I use a program which allows to download videos from various catch-up TV services, I used to download several such videos simultaneously, until I discovered that it was causing a massive fragmentation, even with a large amount of free space (each file having thousands of fragments — that would be prevented if the program could download one file at a time and queue the others, or pre-allocate the required space, but it currently allows neither), and had a lot of trouble recovering such files after a HDD failure (read the whole story here).

•  

• 2 months later...

I am using Windows 11 now...

nothing too noticeable wrong with it... Defraggler that is..

just it bothers me there hasn't been any updates to Defraggler for us since 2018 still....

and two years in between the update before that one..

https://www.ccleaner.com/defraggler/version-history

(PC Specs)

• 6 months later...

bump...

(PC Specs)

But the home-use version of Defraggler is our least-used product, so its future is under review.

That is so sad to hear..

I use Defraggler many times every day, along side of CCleaner (which I PAY for every year...)

to keep my system very much optimized...

Defraggler Pro didn't offer me any real benefit.. so I just use the free one..

as it happens I use it so often that I keep loaded in RAM... all the time..

please don't discontinue it...

please release the updated version that you are updating for Big biz.... :( XD

(PC Specs)

• Moderators

I think it's inevitable.

Spinning discs for home use are going the same way that floppys did.

It won't be long before before every home computer will come with a SSD as standard, and it will only be enthusiasts that still have spinners, and those mainly as external drives.

A lot of new laptops don't have much of a storage drive at all, they have a drive for the OS (usually a SSD) and store your data in the cloud.

So the mass market for defragmenters is dwindling fast.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

aah... too bad

though I am told not to..

I still quick defrag my NVMe boot device... and so far have only used 7 or 8 TB written out of 600TB max life span..

and I have two WD Black HDDs I find it give me better performance in terms of defragging.. to be my NTFS file systems optimized....
my DELL gaming laptop has a 512GB NVMe storage device..

(PC Specs)

• Moderators

One thing with SSDs is that, along with Trim and Garbage Collection, they use 'wear levelling'. It's built into the drive.

That spreads data writes about the drive so that all parts of it get used (worn) at about the same rate, rather than one part getting more heavily used than the rest.

To a defragmenting programme wear levelling is fragmentation - but with a SSD it's fragmentation that you want to happen to prolong the life of the drive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

aah... yeah.. hmm...

That is where Defraggler could use some improvements I guess..

optimizing the SSD/NVMe devices...

I tried to do a quick optimize but it didn't move or defrag any files... that were fragmented...

is it not suppose to?

all I can do is move to end of drive or quick defrag to the closest to the start of the device...

btw I have a bug report my WD Element 2TB external USB HDD is showing up as a SSD to Defraggler for some reason...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W55K9N6/?th=1

That's the url to the store page for it if your interest in specs..

(PC Specs)

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, nukecad said:

One thing with SSDs is that, along with Trim and Garbage Collection, they use 'wear levelling'. It's built into the drive.

That spreads data writes about the drive so that all parts of it get used (worn) at about the same rate, rather than one part getting more heavily used than the rest.

To a defragmenting programme wear levelling is fragmentation - but with a SSD it's fragmentation that you want to happen to prolong the life of the drive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling

I have to beg to differ with parts of this.... the third line actually... the first half...

Wear levelling is not seen by the operating system, NTFS, or any defragging software. NTFS, or FAT, allocates a cluster number to a file which remains unchanged for the life of the file, unless some user/client action (such as a defrag) occurs. Defraggers get their fragmentation information from the MFT, not from the disk, i.e. how many datarun entries there are in the MFT record for a file. What physical pages on an SSD are actually allocated is anyone's guess.