Cc: Real Estate

PCFYTV

I was wondering if Piriform couldn't make Ccleaner take up even more desktop space than it does now.

Recent versions of Ccleaner only consume about a quarter of it.

Why not just go whole-hog and make Ccleaner run full-screen all the time?

TIA

/s

• Moderators

potential attempt at sarcasm perhaps? :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Sarcasm is better than what I thought this topic was going to be from the title, I thought it was going to be some real estate scam/spam.:lol:

Maximize button! It's the square box window like thing at the upper-right in the window of most programs (oh yeah they call those apps nowadays). :P

'App' Life 101

The issue isn't whether a Ccleaner window can be maximized; of course it can.

The problem is the minimum window size that Ccleaner supports.

Over time, the minimum window size has increased to the point where Ccleaner now takes up about a quarter to a third of the desktop space on a 16:9 monitor.

In addition to the inconvenience this imposes, it is patently absurd.  The point of 'windows' is to facilitate running more than one 'app' at the same time.

No single program should take up so much desktop real estate.  It is poor software design.

Very poor...

'Back in the day', full user control of (minimum) window size in Ccleaner was a bona fide 'feature' of the program.  Now, it's more like a 'bug'.

The good news is, there are many 'workarounds' for this issue.

I just don't find any of them very convenient, so 'sarcasm' is the only 'solution'.

Guest Ben CCleaner

@PCFYTV We are currently testing out a new feature called 'Quick Clean' which has been distributed to about 10% of our install base. As part of this new feature, we have adjusted the minimum window size from 740x540px to 1010x700px inline with ever increasing screen size. Once this feature rolls out to the wider install base that new minimum size will be standard across the platform and you should have more 'real estate' as you suggest.

• Moderators

It might be the new Piriform sarcasm filter?

Or maybe shows that a 'stock' answer is easier than actually reading/understanding just what has been posted and why?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Another classic Piriform feature and GUI redesign no one asked for and will be forced upon the user base.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

It would be a more productive use of developers time to use their energy to solve the bugs and issues in the present build instead of making the GUI bigger and YET ANOTHER way of cleaning (quick clean) that is not necessary.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

For years some have complained about the fonts being too small in CCleaner, so bigger would be better, but not in Quick Clean.

I don't particularly like the Quick Clean UI at all which keeps getting forced on my mother's laptop relentlessly, even though I've edited CCleaner.ini countless times to disable it.

Guest Ben CCleaner

Appolgies I did in fact read that question incorrectly. However, the only change we have made to the minimum window size in the last few years has been with Quick Clean. This is due to increasing screen DPI causing scaling issues within the application.

@Andavari As I have mentioned before if you do not want Quick Clean you can disable it in the registry or just simply select your default landing page as Custom Clean

@MaxSWL This is because CCleaner remembers the last window size that was used.

• Moderators

I have to admit I've not seen this Quick Clean yet (apart from screenshots here).

TBH I for one don't want to see it on my computer.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Update

As yet another workaround, I tried  (via shortcut):
"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /AUTO

...and it simply does not work (in the sense of 'full' cleaning)

Immediately following that approach — by either 'Analyze' or 'Clean' in the main GUI — Ccleaner shows numerous leftover items to be cleaned.

Afterwards, 'Cleaning' those leftovers via the GUI works just fine, but this appears to indicate that using the '/AUTO' switch along the shortcut road is...well...a literal shortcut.

If there is another way to 'shrink' Ccleaner on the desktop, it is in no way obvious.

I would therefore re-recommend (/request) that Piriform make the size of the GUI window fully user-controllable.

Meanwhile, Ccleaner still takes up way too much space on the desktop, and that, in my opinion, is inexcusable.

Please fix it.

PS: I think it's seriously messed up that Ccleaner users have to mine the entire internet for 'solutions' to problems such as this.  Yet another thing to fix? (A rhetorical question, to be sure...)

• Moderators

If you're using Win10 and still have those default what are they called "live tiles" like weather, etc., in the start menu then you can clean with CCleaner, and in a very short amount of time the items for those live tiles will just get downloaded again. Removing/disabling the live tiles remedies that and you'll only get a small amount of stuff in Edge rather you use Edge or not.

• Moderators

For the font size being too small and playing around with Windows 10 'Properties -> Compatibility -> Change high DPI settings' on a per application basis like via the properties dialogs of ccleaner.exe and ccleaner64.exe like I just tried doesn't do anything whatsoever to address making the fonts in CCleaner easier to see like it works in some other programs (especially old programs), it simply doesn't work. So it's something Piriform will have to address because changing things in Win10 isn't a solution.

Perhaps the UI wouldn't need a re-write if that had an accessibility/vision impaired setting available for changing the font size in the program either pre-selected that they know would work via testing, or something we individual users could stumble through.