sound

arvind

"ouput", "Winamp" and "showing". Not "out put", "win amp" and "show ing".

Maybe you should install proper soundcard drivers?

When did the sound stop working?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Oddly, the same thing happened on my computer yesterday. The only thing that fixed it was a repair install. But I'm not good at hardware troubleshooting.

Does Winamp have a diagnostic tool? If so, I would use that.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

When not using Winamp, does your audio work fine? If so, reinstall Winamp, as Winamp itself is most likely the problem.

Do you have an actual sound card, or is it integrated? What is the manufacturer? If your audio doesn't work at all, then Winamp is right, and you should reinstall your drivers.

I just finished building a new computer yesterday, and the motheraboard had built-in AC97 audio. I installed the drivers that came with it on a disk and the audio worked fine. Then I went onto Windows Updates, and it found updated drivers which it installed. After rebooting, the audio no longer worked! stupid Windows

So what I ended up having to do was go onto the manufacturer's website and download/install the drivers, and viola! Problem solved.

Have you recently updated your audio drivers, either manually or with Windows Updates? That could be your problem.

And by the way, Eldmannen, you're a butt. :D

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

lokoike is correct. Don't use drivers from Windows Update/Microsoft Update they're known to fail or be hopelessly outdated, instead download drivers from the actual manufacturer, or from your computer manufacturer drivers download website.

I can't actually add anything to this thread that would explain why it happened etc.

Just wanted to state that the sound on my son's laptop stopped working yesterday for no apparent reason, reinstalling the drivers worked for him though.

• Moderators

Just wanted to state that the sound on my son's laptop stopped working yesterday for no apparent reason, reinstalling the drivers worked for him though.

Blame Windows, it seems as though even WinXP likes to self-destruct some of its components from time to time but at least it isn't as suicidal as Win9x was.

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it, however I didn't intend for it to be funny as it's true.

Yeah, MS is easy to laugh at. :D

ding, ding!

This is why lots of people used to reformat their comps a lot before win xp came out.(I used to format my 98 machine about once a year)

Wow, I'm surprised you even lasted that long! When I was in highschool, I worked in our computer labs and most of our computers had Win98 or 98SE, and I probably wiped them every 4-5 months! Of, there was also tons of students using them, which probably didn't do wonders for them...

Even with 98's instability issues, I personally prefer it over ME. ME was a nightmare!

ding, ding!

• Moderators

Well I only used 98 for about 2 years before I got XP. I have an old Win ME comp in the closet that I got for fixing another comp. I played with it a little but never used it for anything important.(I did do some experimenting on the so called "improvements" that MS made for ME and I quickly learned that the biggest one, system restore, dosent actually work.) (or it never did for me anyway)

I just realized that for about the last few weeks I have though loko and mike were the same person because of your avatars. I was confused about why you kept switching it back and forth. :P

• Moderators

The one and only thing that ever had me on an every six month or if very lucky yearly cycle of formatting+reinstalling Win98 was due to the VxD bug that would all of a sudden go kaput and essential cause Win98 to jump off the highest virtual bridge it could find to splat itself at the bottom. Luckily the VxD bug fix was released that not only staved off Win98's eventual killing of itself but also made it much more stable.

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it, however I didn't intend for it to be funny as it's true.

That's why I thought it was so funny, it's the perfect explanation and I never thought of it. I have both XP and Win98 on my PC and:

I have to use my XP installation CD just to get to the dual boot screen.

I download the latest Windows Defender signature update and WinUpdate says it downloaded and installed but there's an error message in Event Viewer that says it didn't.

Internet Explorer apparently flips a coin to decide if the old version or the new beta version appears when I need it.

The Quick Launch Toolbar disappears randomly even though the toolbars are locked.

If I add a card to a PCI slot I have to experiment by rearranging all the PCI cards to find the exact right combination where XP will realize they are all there AND not have IRQ conflicts between them.

The other reason I laughed is because I figure if XP commits suicide it will take me with it.

I didn't mean anything bad by my comment and I'm sorry if it seemed that way.

The other reason I laughed is because I figure if XP commits suicide it will take me with it.

lMAO - That's for sure Mike! I think that that the suicide analogy is hilarious :lol:

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I just realized that for about the last few weeks I have though loko and mike were the same person because of your avatars. I was confused about why you kept switching it back and forth. :P

I'm surprised you thought we were the same person. I took it as a compliment :) and lokoike took it as an insult :angry:!

Rochip's alter ego Spiderman owns lokoike's Batman. Batman's only claim of "strength" is his fearless ability to wear a cape in public even though every living organism in the universe laughs uproariously every time they see it.

(Amoebas are currently struggling to evolve to the point where they can laugh so as to join in on the hilarity.)

• Moderators

I didn't mean anything bad by my comment and I'm sorry if it seemed that way.

Yeah it will probably boot itself while you have your fingers inside the case playing with the PCI slots just for the hell of it. And then Windows will go to virtual prison have all it's hardware beaten out of it, and for a finale become the b*tch of a MAC for the next 20 years to life.

No need to apologize, as I didn't take it as a bad comment.

wait.... so did you help the guy out. Did he find out what the problem was? Do any of you guys actually help people anymore???

Well, most of us gave suggestions, but we really don't know if we helped him or not when he doesn't come back on to check and see if his question was answered! Nothing annoys me more than that.

We'll probably never know if we helped him or not, cause he won't come on and tell us! The point of troubleshooting is to share/test out ideas until something works. Well, if we never know whether the initial ideas worked or not, how on Earth can we offer more? Personally, my mind reading is a little rusty, so I don't really know what his outcome was...

And if a topic goes for a while with no responses from the original poster, what else are we to do but corrupt it? :D

Just kidding, but seriously, good to see you again kk56!

ding, ding!