Windows Defender BETA 2

agumon

Windows Defender BETA 2 released

Windows Defender BETA 2

Improvements in Windows Defender (Beta 2)

Enhanced performance through a new scanning engine.

Streamlined, simplified user interface and alerts.

Improved control over programs on your computer using enhanced Software Explorer.

Multiple language support with globalization and localization features.

Protection technologies for all users, whether or not they have administrator rights on the computer.

Support for assistive technology for individuals who have physical or cognitive difficulties, impairments, and disabilities.

Support for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Automatic cleaning according to your settings during regularly scheduled scans.

Minimum system requirements for Windows Defender (Beta 2)

Personal computer with an Intel Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) or higher processor; Pentium III recommended.

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or later, or Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later.

64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (minimum); 128 MB RAM (recommended).

20 MB of available hard disk space.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.

Internet access with at least a 28.8 Kbps connection.

Windows Defender (Beta 2) will uninstall Windows AntiSpyware.

--==aGumon==--

One word of caution! It does install over MS antispy and removes everything you had in it. I had a number of programs blocked from running at startup and now I can't remember what all they were. I probably would never have changed my mind about them and I can figure it out by process of elimination but just thought I'd give a heads up!

Hi Parvez

Yes Real Time is running in the background by default , If you open Windows Defender and click Tools then General Settings the Real Time options are displayed on that area (You need to scroll down to view them)

It looks great but has lost alot of features (No system tray icon, Most of the tools have gone. File analyzer gone, system explorers reduced i.e cannot delete or change IE configurations, BHOs, ActiveX etc.. plus it requires SP2 on XP to run)

The main question is will it remove and block serious infections so I'm eager to throw some junk its way and see how it performs :)

• Moderators

The systray icon is there. It's a grey brick wall.

Its not there all the time though.(or I cant find the option to enable it)

It was there when I first installed but after it did the first auto update and scan it went away.

Personally I dont want a tray icon but I guess some do.

Yes the icon is there when its updating and when you first install but then it's removed, I agree its better without it and its easy to pin Windows Defender to the start menu if needed by going to all programs > windows defender then right clicking and choosing pin to start menu.

I'm also noticing a problem with updating on one of my pc's, the icons always showing and its displaying its not been updated for 20 days when opened but If I click update it then shows there isnt any updates available :angry:

EDIT: worked out how to get round that by copying the updated definition files from the pc thats working (mpasdlta.vdm & mpasbase.vdm) into the updates folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\Updates), Rechecked updates with WD and it then shows the latest :blink:

Don't ya just love beta software

• Moderators

Don't ya just love beta software

It feels so good to be an unvalued MS beta tester.

One problem I would contribute to it is a few hours ago I rebooted and upon startup my theme reverted to Disney Land hell with the default blue theme - I almost vomited on my LCD.

Hi

Need help. whether clean install or on top of MSAS, this error appears. Thanks

error9ft.jpg

1. Workaround for the installer bug if you are not running non-English Windows version:

2. (Start -> Run...) net localgroup Users /add

3. Install WindowsDefender.msi.

4. (Start -> Run...) net localgroup Users /delete

Here's the support page for that error Berdy

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=915087

The release notes have been updated to include that and afew other bugs :)

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...leasenotes.mspx