Firefox Stability

Super Fast

Testing parameters: Clean installed 32 Bit 7 / Clean installed Firefox / Clean user profiles (with bookmarks imported)

Testing Machine: Dual-Core 3.2 GHZ / 4 GB RAM / 160 GB Sata 7,200 RPM HDD

Plugins: Ad-Block +

When I was using Firefox 17.01 with several groups of tabs open & 423 tabs on one group, it would crash fairly predictably. It would run fine for a while, but when you add say, 20-50 new tabs, a crash would occur.

I decided to scrap 17.01 temporarily & test same websites with Firefox 18b5.

So far, it seems to be faster, use less RAM, & not crash.

Interesting, to say the least. Seems 17.01 does ok with small sets of tabs, but in groups of tabs, it chokes.

Glad to find that the 18b5 is doing much better.

If anyone else has anything they want to add, feel free! Thought this may be interesting to post, as other users may or may not have experienced the same.

• Moderators

OK, I just have to ask.

I have seen it mentioned before SuperFast that you are a supreme user of tabs.

having myself only ever, at most, half a dozen opened tabs, can you enlighten my on what you use 423 tabs for.

surely that sheer number makes the tab bar hard to navigate.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

OK, I just have to ask.

I have seen it mentioned before SuperFast that you are a supreme user of tabs.

having myself only ever, at most, half a dozen opened tabs, can you enlighten my on what you use 423 tabs for.

surely that sheer number makes the tab bar hard to navigate.

(I, too, would like to know) This. :D

Super Fast, like mta & nodles, I too would love to know why you use tabs to the Nth. degree :blink: I am the same as mta - I may have a max of about 6 tabs at one time.

• Moderators

The most tabs I ever recall ever having open when using FF was perhaps 12 tabs because once they start running off screen and being placed into that drop down area it becomes a chore to deal with them. I however know with FF you can get away having much more tabs open without it adversely affecting system performance when compared to a Chrome-based browser.

@Super Fast

I am however curious how much RAM you have installed and how much RAM FF is using when you have all those tabs open.

• Moderators

EDIT <SIGH>

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Right now, CPU use varies. 0% to 9% or so.

Ramwise, FF takes about 725 MB of my 4 GB.

_____

Some of the tabs are background tabs, where I opened under 17.01 & it crashed, so that I had to re-open.

Difference so far, under FF18b5 (yes, I know they just released the beta 6 the other day) is that it has not (yet) crashed when I opened those tabs, or chunked 50 or so NEW tabs to the background.

Hmmmm... What do I use them for... Sometimes, I look for themes for W7 or W8. In doing so, I might use a deviant art page with themes & d/l a theme by a user. But I know if a user has a good theme, they likely have other util/themes that are equally good. It is not unusual that I should then visit their page, & d/l other off their page (or check out their friends, since if they have good taste in what they do, they usually select friends who have good taste also).

What would I use themes for in 7 or 8? Some computers I have are older & do not support 7 Aero. You can get graphics cards that do, but in the sake of experimentation, it is very interesting how cool Royale port to 8 looks on non-aero capable computers. Very much different than the bland default basic that is enabled if your PC does not support Aero.

I may have to use it on 8 when I play around with it more, to see how it looks on 8 as well. Might have to find a way to n-lite my 8 to remove things I never use (Such as windows store). It's not that I don't shop online sometimes, but I just don't trust a built in undeletable store icon. (Why is it imperative to have "mandatory" store service?) You can disable the service. I rather just re-do my W8 dvd so that it don't have those things installing in the 1st place. I am likely to not get any apps, as I have most things I need already. So it would be useless on my machine.

_____

Other things I use it for, are sometimes when I download new programs, I kick the downloads to background tabs. So I can continue without interruption on the page I am on, & download faster than ever (no return to prior page, then find the download I was at, etc).

Sometimes I also have youtube videos open (I play drums, & I crank my stereo so I can jam).

There are a lot of things I look up & its faster to open 10-12 tabs, then check them out, rather than open/backspace/open another/backspace etc.

I may not always open hundreds of tabs. But in the name of research, downloads, youtubing, & others... I tab out FF. :)

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm pretty much tabbed out.

:D

I may not always open hundreds of tabs. But in the name of research, downloads, youtubing, & others... I tab out FF. :)

GO Super Fast, go! :)