Windows 8 Consumer Preview ISO images

DennisD

I always shut down overnight. What blows me away is how Win 7 "updates" (& etc.) overnight when the pooter is supposedly "shut down".

I think I remember that before there was XP there was something like "Wake on LAN".

It allowed the computer hardware to be powered up by a signal from the Internet.

It was convenient for the I.T. department to have remote control of all P.C.s so they could update / ensure compliance / spy.

It was also one of Microsoft's many defaults which gifts to the hackers.

• Moderators

The search - In artist view you can search for an arist (see the picture) by just typing anywhere.

The same thing works in Genre view.

When you start typing it will move to a screen where it will list how many items of that name can be found. So if I type Malwarebytes it will bring up my first screenshot.

If I type Windows Passwords it will bring up the second one (obviously 'settings' would be where to look first)

Third screenshot is the ribbon in my pictures (you can hide it)

post-1555-0-08811200-1331803833_thumb.png

post-1555-0-49327700-1331803850_thumb.png

post-1555-0-72157300-1331803887_thumb.png

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

We have to remember here these are all just opinions, in the big scheme of things a new OS is but a speck of dust.

Me, I just like the mental exercise of finding my way around a new place. I like the new ribbon on top of Windows Explorer etc, the ability to just start typing when on the start page and it will find what I want. Note I said start typing, you don't type in a box, you just literally start typing to search for something.

That's it in a nutshell, Hazel. Well said. :)

One thing I will add if I may. Nothing more really needs to be said, but I can't let that stop me. :P

I like being being able to able to make the OS hold still, so to speak. That is, when it gets to a good working state, being able to keep it like that. If microsoft pushes out some latest and greatest update, I like to be able to decide if becomes permanent or not. And to try out apps temporarily, knowing that they will be completely gone (from the registry, temporary whatever folders, the evercookie cache, the prefetcher, etc, etc), If they don't work out. That is not easy with windows, for me at least.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Me, I just like the mental exercise of finding my way around a new place.

My favourite OS is XP, and probably always will be, but that won't stop me using and trying out others. To me that would be like going on holiday to a foreign country and complaining that the scenery is different and the food is not the same as at home.

I couldn't agree with you more hazel, and I've spent hours exploring different Linux Distro's, and never gave up until I'd just about explored every little corner of them.

In fact I'm installing different Linux onto the old hard drives I have. I can do that now they're inside those caddies I bought.

It's great fun, and some of them are way cool.

Sadly win8 did not light my candle at all, but each to their own, it is all personal choice.

I think I remember that before there was XP there was something like "Wake on LAN".

It allowed the computer hardware to be powered up by a signal from the Internet.

It was convenient for the I.T. department to have remote control of all P.C.s so they could update / ensure compliance / spy.

It was also one of Microsoft's many defaults which gifts to the hackers.

I trust that update line is a tad more secure these days? :blink:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/download

for the .EXE file:

mportant: If you decide to go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC, which is typically DVD media. If you don’t have recovery media, you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer’s website for more information. After you install Windows 8, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

Corona, fwiw, I downloaded the consumer preview exe with Powershadow running. It popped up a black window showing progress (checking installation, evaluating compatibility of apps, and some other steps). Took a long time here.

During the process, it offered to install now or later. Before selecting later, I copied a new folder called 8613ae27-195b-41ea-b058-aef900f5f4b9 from C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\ . That was just in case the whole thing disappeared if I selected "later".

When i selected "later" the installer popup installer window disappeared. I found a new folder at C:\WindowsESD and copied it also.

So afaik, I have all the files necessary to install the consumer preview, but haven't tried it.

I think that process would have left a lot of clutter if I hadn't had a clean reboot option.

Wouldn't have tried it at all without a good virtualizer running.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

After you install Windows 8, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

Most Malodorous Mother of all Malevalent Malware

"Most Malodorous Mother of all Malevalent Malware"

Well, yeah, at the least sort of clumsy. Wonder why they didn't mention the option of using VirtualBox, like Hazel did. :D

After you install Windows 8, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

Forget it I'm not gonna bother trying, or even thinking.

It apparently is fine (and will dual boot) if you install it from BIOS onto a second partition.

I would not bet on that.

When you install it - presumably by executing the *.EXE under Windows whatever, it replaces your Windows whatever with itself,

and in addition it destroys the manufacturer's Recovery Partition so that you are advised to first create recovery media.

I see no reason for it to wantonly destroy any Recovery Partition.

I see no reason to trust its ability to detect and avoid destroying any Acronis Recovery Zone.

I see no reason to trust its ability to detect and avoid destroying any file or image backup partitions.

I see no reason to trust its ability to detect and avoid destroying any partition holding precious photos / music / etc.

I see no reason for it to wantonly destroy any Recovery Partition.

Just that alone makes me form a crucifix with my fingers.

It apparently is fine (and will dual boot) if you install it from BIOS onto a second partition.

I have no experience in that field of science. :wacko: