Windows 8 Consumer Preview ISO images

DennisD

• Moderators

Winapp, as I understand it, that's because background apps are. . . well, no longer truely multitasking.

This Article states it's mostly Metro ones, but I've read others that say many other apps might also be throttled down when not foreground

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

So how does one get W8 without using an ISO?

Sorry for the late reply. I was looking here, & even though you can download it via the link given above, I can only assume that your wanting the content of the ISO file, just without the container.

_____

I have the idea that you are wanting it, because you want to create a disk with it, or play around with the files & cannot get it from the ISO. ISO stores files in a single container & retains the bootable information to make it bootable if your re-installing an OS, so I would keep a copy of it like that just for that reason alone.

_____

To burn the ISO -> In Windows 7, right click the ISO, burn. Else, download IMGBurn & use that.

To get the files from the ISO (this does have setup.exe, so this may be what you are looking) you can extract them using WinRar, 7Z, WinZip, or other programs.

_____

Hope this helps & answers any potential questions that you may have been having (but did not ask yet).

Sorry for the late reply. I was looking here, & even though you can download it via the link given above, I can only assume that your wanting the content of the ISO file, just without the container.

_____

I have the idea that you are wanting it, because you want to create a disk with it, or play around with the files & cannot get it from the ISO. ISO stores files in a single container & retains the bootable information to make it bootable if your re-installing an OS, so I would keep a copy of it like that just for that reason alone.

_____

To burn the ISO -> In Windows 7, right click the ISO, burn. Else, download IMGBurn & use that.

To get the files from the ISO (this does have setup.exe, so this may be what you are looking) you can extract them using WinRar, 7Z, WinZip, or other programs.

_____

Hope this helps & answers any potential questions that you may have been having (but did not ask yet).

I appreciate your trouble SF but I'm no longer interested in W8 anymore. Well maybe superficially in a "watch & wait" sense but I'm not commited to it. I'm still enjoying W7 too much to give W8 more concern. ;)

I appreciate your trouble SF but I'm no longer interested in W8 anymore. Well maybe superficially in a "watch & wait" sense but I'm not commited to it. I'm still enjoying W7 too much to give W8 more concern. ;)

I agree with you there. I tested W8 & the only good thing about it, was how quickly I could put Windows 7 back up there. And only then, because I solved a few Windows 7 problems, including how to view animated GIF files, edit TIF, smoothly enlarge pictures in 7 by importing the XP Viewer directly & making it work in my 7.

W7 is good, but the image viewer was lacking, but thanks to XP, I now have an image viewer that is fast, & works great!

. . . I'm no longer interested in W8 anymore. Well maybe superficially in a "watch & wait" sense but I'm not commited to it. I'm still enjoying W7 too much to give W8 more concern. ;)

My sentiment, also. I see nothing exciting enough to lure me into sampling the new OS. Win7 is working very well for me and I suspect Win8 may turn out to be another insipid dud like Vista. Come November I'll decide from users' comments if I want to upgrade, buy a new pc with Win8, or stick with Win7 and Vista.

• Moderators

I never went into using Win 8 in order to say it is better or worse than xp or Win 7. I just wanted to try to use it, and the more I use it, the easier it gets, just like any other new things you try.

I can understand why it doesn't appeal to some folk. Metro is a big turn off really, but as I am at the desktop most of the time I don't see it much. I've found most of the inner workings and have put the ones I use a lot on my desktop (eg control panel, my docs etc) Quick access to the device manager I do via windows flag+pause/ break anyway as you can do on all systems.

It had more Windows updates yesterday.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Still, the basic system runs on just 900mb ram? That's impressive IMO.

I remember when a P.C. only needed a few dozen Kilo Bytes,

and Bill Gates said that no one could ever use more than 640 kB.

Methinks the Rochester Institute of Technology has a desperate need for a History Lecturer :)

When you consider that almost none of my classes for the first two years of my program are actually computer related, i gets the mind going.

Gates denies he says that though ;)

I am referring to the recent trend of systems requiring 2GiB of ram just to run smoothly. Half of that, while still maintaining functionality on the level of the previous version, is pretty impressive.

• Moderators

So how good is Windows 8 at running legacy, let's call it WINXP and older, programs. I know once we start dealing with the ARM processor it'll be a different ball of wax but Intel/AMD based x86 and x64 legacy programs

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

Thanks, yeah that's pretty much what I was getting at.

Sounds like x86 x64 will be safe, though that means companies like HP will have to continue to produce Computers like the Slate2 for all those businesses that need mobility and legacy. Which is why I asked the question the way i did. Glad to compatiblilty layer won't be killed for the non-ARM-based though.

By the time ARM tablets with windows (WOA) are produced other than MS software we will see:

(note this is desktop apps I'm talking about, there will be in the 1000s of little baby applings from the phone world.)

Adobe Photoshop (They've already rewritten it for iOS so it shouldn't be that hard to titanium it to Win8. As well Acrobat Reader, however I figure Acrobat (writer) will take some time)

Probably Intuit will have Quickbooks, Quicken and TurboTax written

But with all of those we'll have to buy a new license.

I kinda hope one of the Mr's (the Admins) might drop by and talk about how (if at all) ARM will work with CCleaner/Recuva/Speccy and if there will be pitfalls in the reprogramming(I don't mention Defraggler because, as all know, my insistance on not defragging SSD/Flash which is likely to be used in an ARM device)

I remember when a P.C. only needed a few dozen Kilo Bytes,

and Bill Gates said that no one could ever use more than 640 kB.

Methinks the Rochester Institute of Technology has a desperate need for a History Lecturer :)

But, Alan, the Windows 98 setup disk has a few hundred MB of demo videos on it. In fact, I would say 50% or more of it is trash that is just advertisements for the sidewinder, etc. They sell you a disk, why do they need MORE advertisements? Ah, the irony! You can't even buy content without spamvertisements! This goes for most, if not all of the Windows products, by the way. And buying ultimate editions is no guarantee that you will get any less advertisements, but ahem, you may get more!

You see, they COULD make it use less RAM, but then it would be easier to copy, etc. I imagine a large number of processes are in use to check & verify the WGA & ensure you always use Windows the way THEY decide you better use it, etc.

You buy, they control & decide for you!

I just wanted to drop a note that running windows 8 on a laptop with a track pad is sort of annoying, in terms of the gestures designed more for touch screen / mouse users.

(It's also annoying trying to run Windows 8 on my Netbook, which has no problem running Windows 7, but will NOT run tiles full screen due my resolution isn't "high" enough.)

I never went into using Win 8 in order to say it is better or worse than xp or Win 7. I just wanted to try to use it, and the more I use it, the easier it gets, just like any other new things you try.

I can understand why it doesn't appeal to some folk. Metro is a big turn off really, but as I am at the desktop most of the time I don't see it much. I've found most of the inner workings and have put the ones I use a lot on my desktop (eg control panel, my docs etc) Quick access to the device manager I do via windows flag+pause/ break anyway as you can do on all systems.

It had more Windows updates yesterday.

Yeah, that's what I generally do. But I don't come to terms easily with a Windows key that doesn't function properly, but just switches to desktop tile instead, nor do I find it perfectly acceptable to have tiles as a desktop (screen burn in, anyone?) etc, etc...

Ah, well... Maybe Windows 9 will be a revolution, but 7 is good enough for me. And I am quite tired of changing Windows versions every time the weather changes, because then I have to get a few thousand apps ready to work for each upgrade... Sigh...

• Moderators

seriously, not to derail or anything, superfast please use the edit button if nobody else has posted, three reply notifications is a lot in the middle of the night ;)