CCleaner thinks Firefox is still open, but it's not..

Randy11

This bug became present in v3.11.1541 and carried over to v3.11.1550. It is not present in v3.10.1525. Running CCleaner thinks that Firefox is still open. It is not. This bug still occurs even with a fresh boot, when Firefox has never been opened yet. Attached below is a picture of the error message. Please fix this bug as I'm forced to use v3.10.1525. Thank you!

npdmZ.png

Ditto. (I am also getting this.)

As I normally do not close down FF, I 'x' the pop-up window on autopilot.

Today, after a heavy session of downloads yesterday, I made sure FF is off - but the window still pops up.

When the Firefox Window is closed that permits but does not ensure the Firefox Process(es) are terminated.

Some extensions especially cause a hang-up.

Look at Processes TAB in Windows Task Manager and end any Firefox.exe and Plugin-container.exe processes.

A very recent topic indicates that If Thunderbird is running that may cause this same error.

I think this is due to recent Mozilla changes.

If I understand you correctly, then the popo-up message should now say 'Please close Firefox AND Thunderbird to proceed'?

To further assist you :-

Apparently Mozilla have changed their products so that there are now new interactions which previously did not exist,

hence no way to predict the need for such warnings.

Stuff happens. Forums Support where possible.

On a side note, why is McAfee AntiVirus listed? I don't have this installed, I use ESET NOD32.

If it is listed, the registry key for it has not been removed yet.

They are commonly stored either in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE directories under the subkey named Software.

If I understand you correctly, then the popo-up message should now say 'Please close Firefox AND Thunderbird to proceed'?

As I do not have thunderbird installed, & as MrT indicated that Thunderbird being open could cause this, I should hope they do modify the error message to either:

- A single error message that states "Please close Firefox & Thunderbird"

Or, two error messages that intelligently decide if you have firefox running, or thunderbird running, & prompt you to close whichever program is open!

As I do not have thunderbird installed, & as MrT indicated that Thunderbird being open could cause this, I should hope they do modify the error message to either:

- A single error message that states "Please close Firefox & Thunderbird"

Or, two error messages that intelligently decide if you have firefox running, or thunderbird running, & prompt you to close whichever program is open!

Totally disagree. I suggest

- A single error message that states "Please close ALL MOZILLA PRODUCTS"

That is probably relevant to the existing Browsers that are Firefox variants with different names, including a Portable version I used on my old Laptop,

and also covers future problems

BUT in my opinion this is more suitable as a SUGGESTION, not a BUG-FIX

You may close the "PRODUCTS" but that does not mean the process are closed. I have seen many occasions where the Firefox process was still active but the PRODUCT was closed.

"Please verify ALL MOZILLA PRODUCTS/PROCESSES are closed" ;)

25qd6wl.jpg

You may close the "PRODUCTS" but that does not mean the process are closed. I have seen many occasions where the Firefox process was still active but the PRODUCT was closed.

"Please verify ALL MOZILLA PRODUCTS/PROCESSES are closed" ;)

You are so right.

Yet again I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day.

What do I have to do to earn a quota of even 1 a day - I promise I will spend it carefully :rolleyes:

• Moderators

thanks don't work, I'll ask management to turn the feature off (this happened with the last update too)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 11 years later...

I had the problem of CCleaner saying Firefox was still running when it wasn't today. I even checked the Task Manager, nothing there for Firefox. Come to find out I had a pending Windows Update. I ran that and now CCleaner works fine. I guess having the update "in the que" made CCleaner think my browser was running. This might be because I yanked out Windows Edge a while back. All is well now.

• Moderators

You do realise that you have replied to a 12 year old thread? (Always check the date of the last post in a thread before replying).

It's likely in your case that there was also a Firefox update  queued, and that is what CCleaner was seeing.
Firefox updates almost weekly nowadays. (Much more often than it did back in 2011 when this thread is from).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 6 months later...

it's not Ccleaner's problem... I get the same message when I run advanced system care... when I click 'close for me' it just skips it. the 1st time it lasted for weeks and seemed to fix itself. But I can't find Firefox running in Windows or advanced system care task manager. so I'm pretty sure it's a Firefox system failure...

• Moderators

Again this is an ancient thread, both Firefox and CCleaner have changed a lot since this thread was opened.

I'll close it now.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043