Site Advisors Necessary?

tommyk

Now that McAfee Site Advisor is apparently unable to work in Firefox later versions . . . are there any other site advisors worth having? I know, we all should surf wisely, but sometimes you go to a site and it's not what you thought.

Any good alternatives out there?

• Moderators

WoT (Web of trust) has to be the best one for firefox. While it is a little too crowd sourced for my liking it's actually pretty accurate. (I also use it on my DuckDuckGo search site ShoutOuts to HazelNut for turning me on to DuckDuck)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Like Nergal stated WOT!!!!! WOT is really cool because it works with so many different browsers. Couple it with something like Panda Cloud Antivirus with it's Panda URL Filtering and you've got some strong protection.

Does DuckDuck & StartingPage stop viruses and spyware from infecting your system or do we still have to use common sense when viewing a web site from those search engines?

The good thing about Site Advisor was that it let you know beforehand how safe a site was and it looks like WOT does the same. That's what I am looking for.

• Moderators

LOL not crowded. Crowd Sourced, it relies on users submitting reviews which can result in incorrect info.

DuckDuckGo is just a different search engine. It won't block anything. It give you the option of (without plugin) showing WOT ratings on it.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Also, AVG includes a safe search plugin.

As well as increasing the internet explorer security zone setting to high, disabling active x, only use something like firefox or chrome, & u can help make it safer!

All while under a limited user account, preferably.

Have known about startpage for years. Duck & startpage are cool, but they don't include some things you may miss on Google.

Such as find as you type that displays search results you may be interested in from other users, or sometimes even the google web page advisory for scammy pages.

To be fair, some claim that type behavior is tracking, but on the other hand, i do enjoy being about to use certain google features for research purposes, because it is relatively accurate, & I can find things easier when I see results from other users if I am heavy into research about a subject. The idea storms give me other ideas.

Guess it's a mixed bag, but guess that's why users decide!

*Edit: Some sites may get hammered, if you use AVG link checker to check a website, because it has to check every result before you click it. This can increase server bandwidth. Especially if you & millions of others do it for the same site on the same day. I have concern about this, because it can raise costs, & help eliminate free programs that do a good job! Or at least make it harder for the developers who already don't have a lot.

I believe WOT operates similarly, since it also has to reference the web for each site you check.