CCleaner can be dangerous

french

hello

i have cleaned a HD with V3.09.1493, 2 days ago. i asked a cleaning of Windows System and cleaning of registry .Ccleaner found 160 errors of registry to correct.

when i rebooted after correction i obtained the following message: " 1962 : no operating system found.press F1 to repeat bootsequence"

when i pressed F1 ,there was no answer.

after several trials, Windows started. and now it works apparently well.

can i leave the system in this state, or must i restore the old registry ?

• Moderators

What is the operating system on the hard drive?

Was the hard drive in your machine or was it an external hard drive?

Can you see your hard drive in BIOS?

Do you have a Windows disk for your operation system?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

hello

answers to Hazelnut :

the O.S is Windows XP SP3

the HD is in my Machine and is the only one.

the PC is an IBM with Pentium 4 (1.60Ghz) 384Mo RAM

in the system events observatory there is a warning : Source serial ID:4

and an other one WinMgmt ID : 5603

i can see the HD in Bios

i have no Windows disk to repair it.

i have restored the old registry

when i reboot , i obtain the same message :

"1962 : no operating system found.press F1 to repeat bootsequence"

what can i do now ?

If worst comes to worst, & windows does crash, u can install Ubuntu, react os, or some other freeware OS.

If you only want mostly web access, u could even install Splashtop OS that loads before windows.

Hopefully, u can get it fixed, but if you don't have a restore disk, or a way to hook the drive externally to another, or it won't boot into Windows, you may be screwed.

If ur comp starts working again, please don't break it by adding registry keys back. Who knows if Windows thought it was a critical err & tried to "fix" things by truncating or changing certain key areas, only to have them "re-broken" by adding the old keys back?

If it says no os found, you might also want to power the computer to OFF, then unplug it, then cycle the power button a few times to relieve any residual electricity. I had a stereo get locked up by a small power spike once, and it refused to cycle on or off till I unplugged it & cycled the power button.

Check your cables, especially on IDE drives. You can switch if you have another drive supported on an IDE ribbon, or even swap the IDE channel it is on.

If you have other drives on the same ribbon as your Harddisk, you can even try isolating the harddrive to being the only one on that ribbon, and have the other drives on their own ribbon. The reason for swapping the IDE channel, is IDE ribbons are notorious for separating the the contact points from the ribbon itself, so if enough aren't making contact, it can cause a drive to appear not to exist to Windows, as well as other areas. I love SATA drives! But IDE are also listed as PATA.

Let us know if you get the problem fixed.

hi

excuse my bad english understanding and speaking..

i don't understand why Superfast says:

"If ur comp starts working again, please don't break it by adding registry keys back."

i said i have restored the old registry.it has been done.it's too late to unrestore the old registry.

i have checked my cables .i removed several minutes the Cmos battery.

and now ,while i can access Windows, i plan to restore Windows at a restoring point before the use of Ccleaning.

what do you think of that ?

hello

thank you for your encouragements!

i tried to restore Windows with 2 different restore points and at the end the same message:

"incomplete restoration , no change has been done on your computer."

there is no miracle in the Microsoft planet.

So i must keep 160 errors detected by CCleaner in the registry and i don't dare clean it.

Although it may appear that CCleaner was connected to your " 1962 : no operating system found press F1 to repeat bootsequence" error message I believe this is more hardware related.

If you open Event Viewer (start, run eventvwr.exe) do you see any "Disk" error events in the System logs??

Richard S.

i'm not able to run sfc /csannow because i have no CD-ROM windows XP

in the system event viewer ,i see only a warning E100B ID 4 :

adapter Intel Pro/100 VE : desktop connection adapter link down

and another warning Serial ID 4 (without explanation)