New Linux kid on the block

login123

Created by the US Department of Defense. Supposed to allow an unknown computer to be used securely.

"...Lightweight Portable Security (LPS) ... created to allow any system, secure or not, to be used in a trusted way. LPS does this by running directly from a CD or USB stick, executing only within a machine’s RAM, while offering up Internet access, a web browser, file system, and a small range of applications to use."

Just started running from it now. Runs in RAM. Firefox 3.6.19. Can't get sound yet, can't see my HD but can see usb devices big and small. Looks like a bare bones linux distro, haven't experimented much yet. Might be worth a CD or old USB stick. :)

Links: Geek.com and The DOD site.

Edit: Looks pretty limited at first glance. Probably by design.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

For all I've read about it Login, and after reading your post, it seems as though they have just discovered the use of a Livecd. Puppy can do most of the things on that cd without even barking :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

For all I've read about it Login, and after reading your post, it seems as though they have just discovered the use of a Livecd. Puppy can do most of the things on that cd without even barking :)

Well, ahhhh, true, but with LPS you have the comfort of knowing that your computer may be completely exposed to the US government's gentle gaze. :P

Edit: Ya gotta love it when all those government logos appear on the desktop.

Nuther edit: Another review (of an earlier version) here at Distrowatch.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Agree completely. May I send you an invitation to join the Tinfoil Hat Society? I'm a charter member. Our motto is: "The Paranoids Are After Us!"

I guess this distro was designed to allow a user to connect to the net and the US DOD without exposing the hard drive of the computer he uses. Documentation says that, I think. I just wanted to play with it, check it out. Don't trust it either for important stuff.

• 4 weeks later...