Index.dat files

joe935

Installed the latest version of CCleaner 301 and I ran it with index.dat option unchecked.

when i check off the index.dat files and run Ccleaner it reports 0 files found.

Are the index.dat files being removed even though the option is unchecked?

Because running a file find for index.dat files shows practically all index.dat files are 32kb in size, with exception of:

C:\Doc. & Set.\Name\L.S.\TIF\Content.ie5 = 1.80MB

C:\Doc & Set\Name\ietidcache =256kb

Is CCleaner working properly?

OS + Win XP pro sp3

Dont force it, Use a bigger Hammer!

• Moderators

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Indeed... It would seem that CCleaner wipes the Index.dat files when you have Cookies selected for cleaning and selectin 'Index.dat files' does nothing.

is it wiping all index.dats? or just the cookies ones (I am guessing just the later)

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

I've just tried cleaning Index.dat files, then cleaning Cookies. There is no difference in the number, size or last accessed date of my index.dat files. I've no idea what's happening here. Nothing, I think.

• Moderators

No they're not. CC has never cleaned all index.dat files, so I'm concentrating on C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Local Settings\TIF\Content.IE5\Index.dat, the most used index file. This is 224 kb and unchanged after cleaning cookies and index.dat files with CC. Whether it will be cleaned when I run CC en masse is another matter. I'll let you know shortly.

• Moderators

OK. Ran CC in full with browsers closed. Before the run there were zero bytes to delete in both History and Index files. Afetr the run the index file as above remained at 224 kb but was emptied. I don't know what CC setting clears this out.

I dont know how you are looking at the files in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Local Settings\TIF\Content.IE5\Index.dat,

But before i ran CCleaner there were over a dozen files in that folder and after running ccleaner there were none.

Dont force it, Use a bigger Hammer!

• Moderators

I can't look at it in Explorer, nor does the index.dat file in there show when I search the c drive for index.dat files.

I look at it by copying the temp int files folder and contents to a flash drive, then opening it. After running CC the TIF is empty except for the Content.IE5 folder and the index.dat file.

Or, run Analyse on Temp Internet Files. Right click and select View detailed Results. Right click on any file such as C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\9X9XNG3B and select Open Containing Folder, go up one level to take you to Content.IE5, and there you are.

I got it wrong. It's 'History' that wipes the Index.dat files not 'Cookies'. I could have sworn that it was 'Cookies' though. :blink:

I used IdatScan (Index.dat Scanner) to check the files before and after. The origin website of IdatScan is long gone so it may be hard to find working download links for it.

After using 3.01 and rebooting this is what I get for index.dat. Cookies and Low\History.IE5 looks normal. But TIF\Content.IE5 at 1,015,808 doesn't seem right. I thought a "clean" index.dat defaults to about 32KB.

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\Cookies

11/29/2010  08:42 PM            32,768 index.dat
      		1 File(s) 		32,768 bytes

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\History\History.IE5

11/29/2010  08:42 PM            65,536 index.dat
      		1 File(s) 		65,536 bytes

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\History\History.IE5\MSHist012010112920101130

11/29/2010  08:42 PM            32,768 index.dat
      		1 File(s) 		32,768 bytes

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\History\Low\History.IE5

11/26/2010  09:49 PM            16,384 index.dat
      		1 File(s) 		16,384 bytes

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\IECompatCache

11/27/2010  06:02 PM   		360,448 index.dat
      		1 File(s)        360,448 bytes

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

11/29/2010  08:42 PM 		1,015,808 index.dat
      		1 File(s)      1,015,808 bytes

I got it wrong. It's 'History' that wipes the Index.dat files not 'Cookies'. I could have sworn that it was 'Cookies' though. :blink:

I used IdatScan (Index.dat Scanner) to check the files before and after. The origin website of IdatScan is long gone so it may be hard to find working download links for it.

Found it, used it: CNET link. Don't think it installs, just runs, does try to phone home when you click on "How to Delete..." button, but link gone. Not sure, tho, about the installing part, just didn't find any remnants in a cursory search. :)

Edited by login123

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I can confirm that the index.dat files are not cleaned anymore (Windows XP Pro SP3 fully patched, IE 8.0)

Installed and tested the previous 3.00.1310, it does work fine. So it's definitely a bug of this latest version.

Can't realize why you guys suggest to use an other application to make a job that CCleaner always did fine,

since ages... :blink:

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

Can't realize why you guys suggest to use an other application to make a job that CCleaner always did fine,

since ages... :blink:

Not me, brother. I just used those 2 apps to look at the files. Research. :P I bet the developers will fix this in a flash.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Right. Just checking the files not cleaning them. :)

Don't think it installs, just runs, does try to phone home when you click on "How to Delete..." button, but link gone. Not sure, tho, about the installing part, just didn't find any remnants in a cursory search. :)

Yeah it's portable executable. No install and it shouldn't leave anything behind.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Pleae See here for the proof that cleaning is being done

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=30995&view=findpost&p=185341