CCleaner should backup everything

Kas

I do not know how many of the suggestions made in these Forum pages are actioned, hopefully some are.

CCleaner is highly acclaimed throughout the net and I certainly endorse all these tributes.

BUT, I find the absence of backup in all but the Registry incredibly annoying and completely unnecessary.

REGISTRY ? No problem, I save the files in a convenient folder and if needed (so far not) simply click the stored folder and then click the Add to the Registry option. Easy.

This facility should be included in ALL CCleaner`s crap lists, not just the Registry.

I personally find that without fiddling around with CD discs which I do not have, the process of making a personal backup is so complicated and inconvenient that I dismiss it as a big NO-NO.

Consequently where CCleaner lists a large number of files, I have to reluctantly ignore the output. Not much use running it really.

Surely if you can provide such an easy backup facility for the Registry you can do it for everything else ?

What is the problem ?

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - "I will  either find a way or make one"

• Moderators

every suggestion and report is read individually by the developers though only rarely will they say anything

as for your suggestion, while I see where you are coming from, everything listed in the cleaner section is temporary files and registry entries that keep "the recently accessed" for the program. There's not much point in backing that up (IMHO) and, with the point of ccleaner to free up space on a computer, I'm not sure how that jives. However, you are not alone in your request, and even some of the more often visiting members have postulated on the addtions of a "clean to recycle bin" option.

Conversely, with the registry section there is a significant chance that an entry removed in this section, in truth, is needed by the computer. Thus my suggestion for registry cleaning in my signature.

Again, I do see where you are coming from in your suggestion, and would love to hear other member's thoughts on the subject.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I personally find that without fiddling around with CD discs which I do not have, the process of making a personal backup is so complicated and inconvenient that I dismiss it as a big NO-NO.

The wording is a bit confusing here, but I think he may be requesting CCleaner to have a built in system backup utility.

His main complaint seems to be that making a personal backup is far too complicated.

While that would make yet another excellent idea for Piriform (bootable back & restore utility?), I don't really know if this will be added to CCleaner.

• Moderators

The stuff CCleaner removes in the Cleaner button is mostly MRU related, some privacy, and logs, nothing really worth backing up in my opinion.

the process of making a personal backup is so complicated and inconvenient that I dismiss it as a big NO-NO.

Maybe you haven't tried imaging software such as Macrium Reflect, it's beyond simple to use and even restore your system with, there's a free edition link in my signature.

Have i understood correctly. You want ccleaner to back up the junk it deletes? Would be a bit counter productive would you not agree?

No fate but what we make

every suggestion and report is read individually by the developers though only rarely will they say anything

as for your suggestion, while I see where you are coming from, everything listed in the cleaner section is temporary files and registry entries that keep "the recently accessed" for the program. There's not much point in backing that up (IMHO) and, with the point of ccleaner to free up space on a computer, I'm not sure how that jives. However, you are not alone in your request, and even some of the more often visiting members have postulated on the addtions of a "clean to recycle bin" option.

Conversely, with the registry section there is a significant chance that an entry removed in this section, in truth, is needed by the computer. Thus my suggestion for registry cleaning in my signature.

Again, I do see where you are coming from in your suggestion, and would love to hear other member's thoughts on the subject.

Dear Nergal,

Your reply is excellent - it`ll do me fine and thank you.

PSSSST ! What the hell is that monstrosity in your Avatar ? I just cannot grab it . Looks a bit like Obama`s White House cat.

PS - The reason for my "backup" question is that YES I know that CC is damned good - everybody says so - but what if all that designated junk does in fact contain some files that are NOT junk. It is possible, since no program is infallible, including CC. So my theme was to backup the deleted junk, wait for a reasonable period to see if anything goes PLONK, then if all is OK, delete the backup. A two stage cautious deletion.

Never ride point - always walk in the footsteps of the guy in front.

I still have to disagree: CCleaner backs up what it should - Registry. Should use ERUNT to be safer.

Like others have pointed out, CCleaner hardly removes anything worthy of being taken a back-up of. Also, you can customize CCleaner's cleaning preferences, etc. and clean what you want. If you want to review what you're removing you always have the Analyze - Results window to right click and clean.

If you backup everything, its pointless, you're not freeing any space then (even if its for x amount of time)

Simplicity is hard.

I still have to disagree: CCleaner backs up what it should - Registry. Should use ERUNT to be safer.

Like others have pointed out, CCleaner hardly removes anything worthy of being taken a back-up of. Also, you can customize CCleaner's cleaning preferences, etc. and clean what you want. If you want to review what you're removing you always have the Analyze - Results window to right click and clean.

If you backup everything, its pointless, you're not freeing any space then (even if its for x amount of time)

There is no fascination with clearing crap from my computer, I love the prospect and CC gives a very positive result. BUT, how would YOU like somebody to come to your home and designate what is rubbish and what is not ? I know one thing, the only person who could do that is ME.

There is nothing wrong in being cautious. Anybody who takes a list of "rubbish" defined by some robotic program and presses the button is irresponsible.

Let me tell YOU the principles of computer safety :-

Use CC>check output list>Backup list and save in folder>delete CC list>Wait say 2-3 weeks>if no problems>delete backup list.

NOW, that is what is called responsible computer management, which is why I raised the question in the first place.

What on Earth is wrong with this attitude ? It is a common factor in all computer operations. I see no reason to argue the point, it is a fundamental process of all intelligent electronic data management.

Is it so difficult to spread this registry backup facility to all the other areas without engaging in some monumental and unnecessary debate ?

"CC backs up what it should ?" Absolute irresponsible nonsense, CC should backup everything. Once the data is gone, who is left to pick up the pieces ? WE ARE.

• Moderators

Many users run CC every day, or several times a day (unlike my puny once a week when I can remember). Many users are also heavy users, unlike my etc. So you could well have a backup folder of 20 gb, 50... 100 gb in a couple of weeks, containing hunderds of thousands of files, which would take some sorting.

I don't blindly delete everything that CC offers. I have my desired settings, and my delete don't worrry me at all. So my vote is no, too complex to adminster. But I don't really think that Kas is open to much discussion.

What is that you're afraid of losing? Read the CCleaner Docs, the link is in my signature. You will know exactly what settings you need and what CCleaner removes. CCleaner, as you said isn't infallible but it is pretty safe.

Simplicity is hard.

Many users run CC every day, or several times a day (unlike my puny once a week when I can remember). Many users are also heavy users, unlike my etc. So you could well have a backup folder of 20 gb, 50... 100 gb in a couple of weeks, containing hunderds of thousands of files, which would take some sorting.

I don't blindly delete everything that CC offers. I have my desired settings, and my delete don't worrry me at all. So my vote is no, too complex to administer. But I don't really think that Kas is open to much discussion.

Don`t get me wrong, I think like thousands of others that CC is a marvelous program. I am not being a pain, just emphasising that any deleting of computer data should be backed up in case of problems. There is nothing wrong with this, it is a fundamental of basic computer technology and operation.

It seems as if Piriform just will not provide a backup facility for all files etc. presumably for financial reasons or simply a tram - lined attitude of autocratic thinking, there is no other rational reason.

So, let us call it END GAME on this one as the subject is getting ridiculous.

I will use CC and provide my backup by using one of the many backup programs that are offered on the net.

Alternatively, I can use a cleaner program that does have a backup facility included.

No problem, each to his own and thank you for all your comments.

By the way, I am not talking of millions of GB. My computer is clean and all that CC pulls out is a few hundred Directory Lib files and system temp files - a piffling amount of crap. Nevertheless, Even deleting a piffling amount of crap can screw your computer up if the parameters of !crap" are not 100% valid.

No point in further discussion if my suggestion is being blocked, so thread closed.

Oh, just a point - KAS is always open to discussion providing it is a two way flexible, logical and intelligent flow and not subject to an immovable attitude on the part of program providers.

Thank you all for your help and comments - John

•  
  • Privacy: Delete passwords, Internet files, configuration files, and remove System Restore points from a shared PC.

• Security: Clean out files from a PC you're giving away or selling. You can also wipe free space so the remnants of any files you deleted previously will be erased forever.

• Speed: Speed up your computer by removing unneeded files. Speed up boot times by reducing the number of programs that start with Windows.

• Stability: Enable Windows to run more smoothly with a clean Registry.

• Space: Free up hard drive space by deleting unnecessary files.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/ccleaner-settings

/end of discussion from my side.

Simplicity is hard.

Oh, just a point - KAS is always open to discussion providing it is a two way flexible, logical and intelligent flow and not subject to an immovable attitude on the part of program providers.

Thank you all for your help and comments - John

The only person with an immovable attitude is yourself.

I have not seen a single post in this thread from a "program provider", whatever that may mean.

The only people to have responded to you are users, two of whom are also moderators who are NOT on the payroll.

If you wish to back up your junk you are welcome, with all our blessings.

Just let us get on with managing our own junk in the way that seems best to us.

Some of us consider it more sensible to have a backup system to recover from any disaster.

I have used Acronis to restore a system after Patch Tuesday security patches destroyed functionality.

I am confident that I can use CCleaner without destruction,

and absolutely sure that if it did cause destruction I will be back on-line within 10 minutes of inserting the Acronis Boot CD.

Alan