I want to use ccleaner registry cleaner

BryanS

• Moderators

When I got rid of mine a long time ago, it was activated, and to be honest I don't know if not being activated means it isn't fully installed, but ready to be.

I was just looking back at Kroozers other post, and he's probably right about it being a simple removal if it hasn't been activated yet.

I would rather say I don't know for sure than give you bad advice. Kroozer can maybe confirm that again if he would, or any of the other guys for that matter.

Either way, the removal tools are always there if needed.

Kroozer does seem correct.

It does seem like if it's not activated it would be correctly removed along with all

of the leftover dump. I'll just remove it that way when i feel it's necessary. :rolleyes:

Weird note though, under virus protection it says windows defender, and norton are both turned

on. How is norton turned on if i never turned it on :blink: not a big deal really just wondering.

Most other posters, including Dennis, have far more experience and wisdom than I have on these matters, and a prudent, cautious user should heed their recommendations, as I do. :)

In this situation I am giving you advice based only on my experience with several Norton uninstalls on my current Win Vista box. Since you have Win 7 my advice may be inapplicable and have deleterious consequences. So proceed at your own risk.

I'd use the Windows uninstaller in Control Panel>Programs & Features before CCleaner for major uninstalls, or as others have mentioned, use a dedicated uninstaller for that specific program.

In Vista, and I'm assuming Windows 7, occasionally it won't let you uninstall some things if User Account Control is enabled. You can disable UAC and restart but there's a much easier way. Right-click the Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator. Then enter "%windir%\system32\control.exe /name Microsoft.ProgramsAndFeatures" without quotes on the first line and press Enter. Programs and Features will open in an elevated state (as administrator) and you can uninstall to your heart's content. :)

• Moderators

I got a Windows 7 HP laptop yesterday, did all the Windows updates. Using windows control panel I uninstalled Norton (which I hadn't activated) rebooted then put on Microsoft Security Essentials.

Next I uninstalled the 60 day Microsoft Office trial and various other softwares I didn't want and so didn't even open them. Uninstalled a few of the HP softwares (care assistant etc) and all is running well.

You will have to make a decision on you antivirus Bryan as at the moment you seem to be running none in real-time. You won't be able to install another without uninstalling Norton first.

On the other hand if you feel unsure and worried about uninstalling Norton just activate it and at least then you are running with an av for the duration of the trial. By then you should feel confident enough to uninstall things.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Off topic: You're using a 64-bit system with 2 GB RAM? Get another Gigabyte at least!

2 GB is enough. As long as you don't use memory-heavy software such as Firefox video-editing ones.

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

I got a Windows 7 HP laptop yesterday, did all the Windows updates. Using windows control panel I uninstalled Norton (which I hadn't activated) rebooted then put on Microsoft Security Essentials.

You got your laptop hazel, nice one.

I would go with Kroozer's and hazel's suggestion Bryan, just uninstall it via Add\Remove programs. Not being activated no doubt means it doesn't yet have it's sticky tendrils insinuated into your pc.

But sort out it's replacement first.

Some candidates for that are:

Microsoft Security Essentials:

Avast:

Avira:

Most other posters, including Dennis, have far more experience and wisdom than I have on these matters, and a prudent, cautious user should heed their recommendations, as I do. :)

In this situation I am giving you advice based only on my experience with several Norton uninstalls on my current Win Vista box. Since you have Win 7 my advice may be inapplicable and have deleterious consequences. So proceed at your own risk.

I read everybody's posts and choose carefully which ones to refer to. No posts go unnoticed.

I am also adrift in a sea of technology haha.

I'd use the Windows uninstaller in Control Panel>Programs & Features before CCleaner for major uninstalls, or as others have mentioned, use a dedicated uninstaller for that specific program.

In Vista, and I'm assuming Windows 7, occasionally it won't let you uninstall some things if User Account Control is enabled. You can disable UAC and restart but there's a much easier way. Right-click the Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator. Then enter "%windir%\system32\control.exe /name Microsoft.ProgramsAndFeatures" without quotes on the first line and press Enter. Programs and Features will open in an elevated state (as administrator) and you can uninstall to your heart's content. :)

Hmmm, I may have to try that at some point even though it seems somewhat confusing. Will refer back to this thread.

Next I uninstalled the 60 day Microsoft Office trial and various other softwares I didn't want and so didn't even open them. Uninstalled a few of the HP softwares (care assistant etc) and all is running well.

You will have to make a decision on you antivirus Bryan as at the moment you seem to be running none in real-time. You won't be able to install another without uninstalling Norton first.

On the other hand if you feel unsure and worried about uninstalling Norton just activate it and at least then you are running with an av for the duration of the trial. By then you should feel confident enough to uninstall things.

Cool cool laptops are awesome i should have invested in one instead of a pc. I want to uninstall things but

my brain won't let me right now. When i do choose to though i will do it slow one at a time most likely.

You're right i have no real-time antivirus protection running right now. Maybe i will activate norton..

cough. I don't download dangerous programs, i don't use p2p programs, i don't go to nasty websites, so i

feel safe for now.

Off topic: You're using a 64-bit system with 2 GB RAM? Get another Gigabyte at least!

I don't need more i am not running huge programs this computer is still lightning fast.

You got your laptop hazel, nice one.

I would go with Kroozer's and hazel's suggestion Bryan, just uninstall it via Add\Remove programs. Not being activated no doubt means it doesn't yet have it's sticky tendrils insinuated into your pc.

But sort out it's replacement first.

Some candidates for that are:

Microsoft Security Essentials:

Avast:

Avira:

I'm going to when i feel up for it or ill have to use the uninstall tool if i activate it. Thank you for those choices. Those are free correct? :o

So many quotes I'm adrift in a sea of quotes :lol: :lol:

• Moderators

All free Bryan, and you have had a lot thrown at you over a relatively short period of time. :)

Three things to do ...

Decide about Norton.

Get rid of it or activate it.

Install alternative.

Easy peasy.

The three I mention I believe are the 3 most popular free A\V's used by the members on here. All very good, and will do the job for you.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

Cool cool laptops are awesome i should have invested in one instead of a pc.

Although I got a laptop I still prefer a pc :)

Any time you need help with any uninstalls or installs Bryan, just pop back, we'll be here to help.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Kroozer does seem correct.

It does seem like if it's not activated it would be correctly removed along with all

of the leftover dump. I'll just remove it that way when i feel it's necessary. :rolleyes:

Weird note though, under virus protection it says windows defender, and norton are both turned

on. How is norton turned on if i never turned it on :blink: not a big deal really just wondering.

WRONG - It is a big deal if Windows Security Centre says that Norton is on.

It is not possible to install Comodo whilst W.S.C. says that some other Firewall/A.V. is already installed.

If the other product is NOT installed then you need a special cleanup tool for eradicating the remnants.

If the W.S.C. still thinks you have it then probably what was registered has not been UN-registered from the repository,

and the next stage is to mess with services and delete the repository so that Windows can rebuild the repository with data upon what is actually installed,

UNFORTUNATELY Windows may be a little broken and unable to rebuild the repository,

in which case Windows becomes VERY BROKEN - I think you lose WMI and probably much if not all of the control panel.

(I have not studied exactly how broken it is - it gave me nightmares to think about it so I stopped Googling.)

I assume that what applies to Comodo would apply to other products,

and if anyone has two active real time A.V. or Firewall I assume at least one is not recognized by W.S.C. and will have less authority than it could otherwise have.

WARNING - NORTON POLLUTES ALL NTFS PARTITIONS ! !

There is a wonderful free and portable search tool called Everything from http://www.voidtools.com/

It knows all the files regardless of any "NO ACCESS" embargoes, and can find LightningSand.CFD and EfaData.

These items are a Norton file and folder buried inside every ?:\System Volume Information\.

Not only are these Norton pests NO ACCESS for normal users,

they also cause major problems with some defragging tools for some victims.

You won't know what you have got till you look ! !

Regards

Alan

Although I got a laptop I still prefer a pc :)

Any time you need help with any uninstalls or installs Bryan, just pop back, we'll be here to help.

:) I'll always come back here for help so far this is the only community that has seemed to care.

And alan, I read your posts but they are very far advanced for my liking. If only i could understand

as I'm sure they make sense B)

-bryan