Video Viewing Software

Hey all, question about a problem I am having. Both my computers are running Vista 64 bit Windows and a lot of the time I go to watch a video and it won't play. I've googled a bit and apparently the problem could be that I have a 64 bit system and java/flash ? doesn't support 64 bit video playback? I could be wrong.

Anyhoo, is there any software out there that will play back 32 bit java on a 64 bit system? Does this make sense? I just want to be able to watch certain videos and such!

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Java is never used for videos :huh:

Java is available for x64 and x86 systems :

x64 : http://www.filehippo.com/download_jre_64/

x86 : http://www.filehippo.com/download_jre_32/

For videos, 99% of time it uses Flash. Flash is only available in x86 version, so you'll need to use an x86 browser - i.e. every browser except Internet Explorer 64-bit Edition. The x64 Windows have both versions installed, one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\, the other in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\.

Piriform French translator

alrighty, got that. So I tried using the IE on my computer (never ever use it) and it worked, but firefox (the only browser i use) still doesn't. Any suggestions? And thanks for the reply so quick! :)

I tried using the IE on my computer (never ever use it) and it worked, but firefox (the only browser i use) still doesn't. Any suggestions? And thanks for the reply so quick! :)

So you are having a problem with Flash Player? What exactly happens when you try to run a Flash object on Firefox? Also, can you see the Flash animation at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/, and what is the Version Information displayed under it?

Hey Yeah I can see the flash, and it says i have version:

You have version 10,0,42,34 installed

I'm trying to see a video on a news site, but can't seem to get it to actually play.....

• Moderators

I'm trying to see a video on a news site, but can't seem to get it to actually play.....

Possibly an adblocker, or something in the HOSTS file stopping wherever the video is being fetched from.

And also, consider upgrading. I've read somewhere Vista "slows" down video playback or something like that.

The new Flash player 10.1 (Currently in RC phase) supports Hardware acceleration. :)

Simplicity is hard.

And also, consider upgrading. I've read somewhere Vista "slows" down video playback or something like that.

Sorry, but - that's nonsense.

Unless you have rock-solid evidence.

Piriform French translator