ERUNT and Windows XP Pro

godawgs

I just finished getting my sister's XP Pro computer cleaned of all the infections and viruses that were caused by all users on the system having a Administrator account and a couple of them (kids) downloading everything they came across on the net. After cleaning the system, one of the first things I installed was ERUNT. And I know that an Autoback script can be put in the Start-up folder of an administrator account and ERUNT will run at start-up. But all accounts have been changed to Limited accounts except for a System Admin. account which nobody in the house has the password to. And my understanding is that ERUNT should not be run with a limited account. My question is: Is there any way to use the Task Scheduler in XP Pro to get ERUNT to run no matter what kind of account logs on? So that ERUNT will run no matter who logs on(Like you can do in Windows Vista). I posted this here for two reasons:

1. The advanced users in this forum recommend installing ERUNT all the time.

and B. There isn't any Community Forums at the ERUNT web site.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

DELL Dimension Desktop

PENT.4, 1.8GHz, 768MB RAM

Windows XP SP3 HOME

IE 6.0.2800.1106 xpsp3

Firefox 3.5.7

DELL Inspiron Laptop

Pentium Dual Core 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM

Windows Vista Premium SP2

IE 7.0

Firefox 3.5.7

BOTH SYSTEMS HAVE

MS Security Essentials

CCleaner 2.27

ERUNT 1.1j

MalwareBytes

Spybot-S&D v1.6.2

SpywareBlaster v4.2

[A]:ABORT; [R]:RETRY; :INFULENCE with a BFH (Large Hammer)

I currently don't have Windows XP available, so I cannot test or check anything for you.

You know that you can run tasks as other users, e.g. when right-clicking on a program or shortcut, 'Run as Administrator'.

This may also be possible to apply to shortcuts or scripts in the startup list, or even scheduled tasks.

Sorry, that's all I can contribute.

Run Control Panel (in classic view), "Scheduled Task" and "Add Scheduled Task" to start the Scheduled Task Wizard.

To add ERUNT click "Browse" and find the executable, then select "When my computer starts" for startup type.

Richard S.

• Moderators

I'd make a disk image of that system as soon as possible, that way you never have to go through all that again if something goes wrong.

As for ERUNT backing up other profiles I don't really know as the one tick box reads "other open users registries" and I haven't a clue if ticking it backs up all the registries on a system:

e7b1c077311821.gif

I also don't know if the auto backup functionality of ERUNT backs up everything or not other than the logged in current user with Admin capabilities.

Edit:

Actually ERUNT can make it's own Startup folder shortcut that will instruct it to make just one daily backup and not constantly make backups everytime a system is started or a user profile is logged back onto during a day. This is what I use in the Startup folder shortcut (the ERUNT docs instruct on how to use it, and do note that your ERUNT install path may differ from mine since I made my own installer):

"%ProgramFiles%\Erunt\AUTOBACK.EXE" %SystemRoot%\ERDNT\AutoBackup\#Date# /noconfirmdelete /days:7

As for ERUNT backing up other profiles I don't really know as the one tick box reads "other open users registries" and I haven't a clue if ticking it backs up all the registries on a system:

Taken from Erunt`s read me text: "- Other open user registries: Sometimes Windows has a few other user

registries in memory. Examples for this are "generic" registries,

e.g. for user "EVERYONE", or registries of other users if you use

Fast Task Switching in Windows XP. "

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

pwillener

Thanks for the reply.

redhawk,

Thanks for the information. I was trying to find out if XP Task Scheduler could schedule tasks to run with elevated privileges, (like Vista), so that ERUNT would run no matter what type of account turned the computer on first. ERUNT's documentation states that it must be run from an account with admin. rights.

Andavari,

I'd make a disk image of that system as soon as possible, that way you never have to go through all that again if something goes wrong.

I personally agree with you, but my sister wouldn't begin to know how to image a hard drive. That's why I'm trying to find a way that I can get ERUNT to run at first start up, by a limited type account user since no one on this system will have Admin. privileges anymore.

Edit:

Actually ERUNT can make it's own Startup folder shortcut that will instruct it to make just one daily backup and not constantly make backups everytime a system is started or a user profile is logged back onto during a day. This is what I use in the Startup folder shortcut (the ERUNT docs instruct on how to use it, and do note that your ERUNT install path may differ from mine since I made my own installer):

CODE

"%ProgramFiles%\Erunt\AUTOBACK.EXE" %SystemRoot%\ERDNT\AutoBackup\#Date# /noconfirmdelete /days:7

I have this code in the Start Up folder for the Admin. account on my XP system. But it has to be an Admin. account for ERUNT to run from the Start Up folder according to ERUNT's readme.txt file.

Eli,

I've read the same thing in the readme.txt file which is why I don't think it can be done from the start up folder on a limited user account and why I'm trying to find out if anyone knows whether running ERUNT from a scheduled task on a limited user account would work.

Thanks everybody.

DELL Dimension Desktop

PENT.4, 1.8GHz, 768MB RAM

Windows XP SP3 HOME

IE 6.0.2800.1106 xpsp3

Firefox 3.5.7

DELL Inspiron Laptop

Pentium Dual Core 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM

Windows Vista Premium SP2

IE 7.0

Firefox 3.5.7

BOTH SYSTEMS HAVE

MS Security Essentials

CCleaner 2.27

ERUNT 1.1j

MalwareBytes

Spybot-S&D v1.6.2

SpywareBlaster v4.2

[A]:ABORT; [R]:RETRY; :INFULENCE with a BFH (Large Hammer)