Task Manager in XP

DennisD

Damn, you're too quick ident.

I just came across this behaviour this morning, and was hoping for a few scratched heads before someone sussed it. :lol:

lol

hands up, it took me a while to suss it about a year ago :lol:

No fate but what we make

Hey, what did you use to make the Mac like interface???

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Hey, what did you use to make the Mac like interface???

4th person tonight, macs suck lol

id imagine its rocket D

No fate but what we make

I didn't know the Task Manager had that ability, but I wonder why it does.

I think the idea is just to save real-estate - you can fit the same display details into (an admittedly only slightly!) smaller window area.

I'm with Corona; mine's 'replaced' by Process Explorer :) Although I do have a shortcut to a copy of taskmgr.exe in case I want to see the original view.

The reason for it is to make it fully re-size able. It's called tiny foot print mode.

Handy if you want to watch a process and not have task manager take up a massive area. (Default minimum window size is quite large)

Down side is loads of users have spent hours and hours trying to resolve it as there is no obvious solution.

There is a story on the net about some one reformatting because of it.

Good stuff m$

No fate but what we make

4th person tonight, macs suck lol

id imagine its rocket D

I get a kick out of the battles between Microsoft morons and Mac fanboys. Why do you have to choose one or the other? I use both and they both have their good and bad points. It's silly. I'm learning Linux now to so I will be a three OS person. It's funny listening to a Windows person slam Mac when they don't have any idea what they are talking about. Same with the Mac fanboys. They think Steve Jobs created the universe and Steve thinks that to :lol: Same thing with the browser wars. I use many different browsers and they all have good and bad points. I see no need to pick one and slam the others.

Tbh that was a personal joke as i had 4 people yesterday mention to me about mac problems.

I myself prefer linux, my laptop is crunchbang but my pc is xp

It makes no odd's to me with what os people use or browser.

i was just having a laugh because 90% of mac uses would not ever hear a bad word about there impossible to infect machine.

:)

No fate but what we make

Tbh that was a personally joke as i had 4 people yesterday mention to me about mac problems.

I myself prefer linux, my laptop is crunchbang but my pc is xp

It makes no odd's to me with what os people use or browser.

i was just having a laugh because 90% of mac uses would not ever hear a bad word about there impossible to infect machine.

:)

I prefer Mac to Windows but cannot stand Mac fanboys. They worship at the alter of Steve Jobs. It's sickening to be honest. There is no denying the ease of use and clean professional UI of a Mac though. Anyways I think we are high jacking this thread so lets leave it a that ;)

I'm so very, very close to switching to either Ubuntu or Fedora, but the only thing that is holding me back is that none of them have drivers for my printer.

I'm am going to go with Linux Mint when I start to use Linux. From all the research I have done so far it's the most user-friendly for Linux newbs which I certainly am.

I knew that the task manager has this ability that the title bar and the frame would disappear but I only tried it when the task manager is showing these graphs on memory usage, network and CPU usage. Double clicking these graphs would make them fill the entire task manager screen but I did not expect the same thing would work on the process monitor and other sections of the task manager.

LOL just because I mentioned Macs, some of you started talking about Macs and Mac fanboys.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

That would definitely fix it, the very slow way. :lol:

would be funny if they opened up task manager to check every thing is fine again and double clicked :lol:

No fate but what we make

• Moderators
would be funny if they opened up task manager to check every thing is fine again and double clicked :lol:

Would probably format again. :lol:

It's not the only undocumented features Microsoft have in some of their programs though.

Is this a trick question dennis? I was not aware you could

ctrl-tab switches tabs if task manager displayed in tasks you could min/max it

No fate but what we make

Next question.

How can you minimize the tiny footprint?

I think the whole idea is for when you're using it for specific monitoring purposes, rather than general usage. So you can take up just a little real estate in the corner of your screen for example. Obviously you then need to leave that mode when you're done.

post-31469-1267044963_thumb.png

• Moderators
Is this a trick question dennis?

:lol: :lol:

Nope, I'm serious.

This topic has grown beyond anything I expected, and I'm now wondering if you guys know something else I'm missing. How to minimize it.

If you set Task Manager to it's lean alternative and shut down, it stays like that when you reboot. I've been trying to get Task Manager to start with Windows recently as I like to have it running in the System Tray to see if and when something suddenly maxes out the CPU.

You can have it start minimized, and as I like this lean look for the processes tab, it would start minimized like that if only starting with windows would stick.

I've tried a few ways to get it to run at startup, but it won't stick, and I'm still trying to work out why.

EDIT: I know once minimized I can't see it, and it won't make a difference to how much resource it uses, but it can be done, and I've got it in my head to do it come hell or high water.