Task Manager in XP

DennisD

• Moderators

Richard, I've started having a problem loading threads your in, and I didn't have it before.

I have to stop the page loading, and this is what I get with your avatar, which is the cause of the page not loading for me.

ym1CJs.jpg

Have you changed the host location for it recently?

I wish there was a way to make Process Explorer to

1) Start up first during Start or Restart

2) Start up with just the tiny System Tray graph without having to first open up & then shrink the main apps' window

TM.png

This is friggin 2010, people.

(Of course the Avast orange is spinning. Is it ever not spinning?)

This topic has grown beyond anything I expected, and I'm now wondering if you guys know something else I'm missing. How to minimize it.

You don't buy my explanation (#24) Dennis? I don' think it's meant to be the normal display mode.

ETA: I'm with Richard - Process Explorer wins hands down.

If you run Process Explorer with the /t switch it makes it start in the system tray.

As for running on startup just create a shortcut and then move this in the "startup" folder or create a startup key in:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Richard S.

If you run Process Explorer with the /t switch it makes it start in the system tray.

Ta - I dunno why but I never noticed that command-line switch before! Hence my previous post.

As for running on startup just create a shortcut and then move this in the "startup" folder or create a startup key in:

I think Corona's question referred to start-up order ... i.e. get Process Explorer to start first; which of course ain't so easy.

• Moderators

I have process Explorer set to show what loads first timewise on my machine.

In case anyone wants to do this in PE, select view>select columns>process performance tab>tick start time.

Restart computer and look to see result.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I have process Explorer set to show what loads first timewise on my machine.

In case anyone wants to do this in PE, select view>select columns>process performance tab>tick start time.

Restart computer and look to see result.

Not a view I've used in PE before ... interesting. You can actually just sort on that column without having to do a restart.

@ Dennis, not sure how badly you would like to keep tiny foot print.

Either way if you put this in quick launch by clicking it it will either (depending on current state of task manager)

Launch, Minimize, Load : No UI so removes the need for ctrl-alt-del, just click and does it for ya

TaskManager.exe

Source Code

To be honest i was just messing about, I added the source in case you would prefer compiling it yourself. "No nasty suprises" lol

No nit picking at my coding, i don't exactly get paid for it ;) (vb)

And if you don't care that much about TFM, no worries coz im actually using it now

No fate but what we make

• Moderators
You don't buy my explanation (#24) Dennis? I don' think it's meant to be the normal display mode.

ETA: I'm with Richard - Process Explorer wins hands down.

I do buy that actually marmite, it's just a stubborn streak I have which means come hell or high water I'll close down my pc with the Task Manager "lean" setting, and then get it to start minimized with Windows.

If it starts minimized it won't make the slightest bit of difference whether it's "lean" or not, but I'm buggered if I'm gonna give up on doing it anyway.

The problem is that Task Manager will not start with Windows whichever way I set it up to do so.

I've sent a TaskManager,exe shortcut to the desktop and then dragged it into "Start\All Programs\Startup", and I've tried opening up the "Startup Folder" and dragged the shortcut into it.

Whichever way is the same difference, and TaskManager.ex appears in the "Startup" of CCleaner or any other startup manager type program.

I've used Startup Delayer to delay its launch so I could actually see it being launched in Startup Delayers UI, and it appears. But no deal, it won't run.

What am I missing here? Try googling how to do this and the answer is the straightforward methods I've tried.

I'm losing sleep here chaps, why won't it run?

it's just a stubborn streak I have which means come hell or high water I'll close down my pc with the Task Manager "lean" setting, and then get it to start minimized with Windows.

If it starts minimized it won't make the slightest bit of difference whether it's "lean" or not, but I'm buggered if I'm gonna give up on doing it anyway.

The problem is that Task Manager will not start with Windows whichever way I set it up to do so.

Okay I see where you're going :)

Starting minimized is the straightforward bit. In 'normal' mode, under options, uncheck 'Minimize on Use' and check 'Hide when Minimized'. Then in your start menu shortcut properties, set 'Run:' to Minimized. That should sort out start-up.

As for small-footprint, this still works if you've closed TM in small-footprint view. However, where it falls down is that there's no way within TM to minimize it again once it's restored (you can minimize TM from Process Explorer though!). So it doesn't really hold as a fully working model in that mode.

• Moderators
Okay I see where you're going :)

Starting minimized is the straightforward bit. In 'normal' mode, under options, uncheck 'Minimize on Use' and check 'Hide when Minimized'. Then in your start menu shortcut properties, set 'Run:' to Minimized. That should sort out start-up.

As for small-footprint, this still works if you've closed TM in small-footprint view. However, where it falls down is that there's no way within TM to minimize it again once it's restored (you can minimize TM from Process Explorer though!). So it doesn't really hold as a fully working model in that mode.

Minimize on Use: Always been set like that.

Hide When Minimized: Ditto.

"Run" minimized: Done that also.

The damn thing still won't start with Windows, and just for info I've been trying to get this to work before I came across the "lean" version.

So I'll sleep soundly tonight knowing that you've now got this puzzler in your head. Let me know if you have any "eureka" moments during the night. :lol:

EDIT: I'll do the same thing with Process Explorer just out of interest.

have you tryed manually adding the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key ???

No fate but what we make

• Moderators
have you tryed manually adding the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key ???

Nope, haven't done that.

I've just set up Process Explorer to start with Windows, and minimized, and it works fine. I would have thought this would: (From CCleaner Startup)

Ufzpr.jpg

I'll have a try at what you suggest.

How strange, and taskman.exe is def in windows dir?

:S

shouldn't it say though taskman.lnk rather then .exe.lnk??

No fate but what we make

Ah :) You want C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe

Thats what i was going to say, but sinc ei saw taskman.exe i thought he was using a different exe????

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

Thankfully I've just sussed it myself, and it is the System32 file, and it started with Windows minimized.

Damn, so flaming easy when it came to me.

Thanks chaps. It was fun while it lasted.

Edit: You'll be interested to know the minimized version is the "lean" one, but once I opened it to check, of course I can't minimize it again like that. :lol:

Thankfully I've just sussed it myself, and it is the System32 file, and it started with Windows minimized.

Damn, so flaming easy when it came to me.

Thanks chaps. It was fun while it lasted.

Edit: You'll be interested to know the minimized version is the "lean" one, but once I opened it to check, of course I can't minimize it again like that. :lol:

you can if you check page 2 :P

well it's not exact but.....

No fate but what we make