MVPS hosts file

Fluffy

Hi

Recently posted in spyware hell,and Rorschach sorted me out,and has given good advice on better protection for my computer which i`m working through,got to MVPS host file..and link

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

and the page seemed a little unclear in what i should be downloading and applying to my computer,I did`nt want to start downloading and not be sure what changes i`m making to the computer,`im not afraid to say sometimes i`m confused,fluff by name fluff by nature :unsure:

if anyone could give me a step by step for the host file thingy I would again be grateful

Fluff

this is what you want to download

To view the HOSTS file in plain text form. (597 kb) (opens in browser)

Note: The text version also makes a terrific reference for determining possible unwanted sites

Download: hosts.zip [right-click - Select: Save Target As] [updated July-27-2009]

All you need to do is run the .bat file inside it. Doesn't take long

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

~Scratch~

• Moderators

Fluffy to make it real simple just right-click on the zip file for xp, choose save as, choose desktop.

Right-click on it on the desktop and choose 'extract here'.

About 5 or 6 little files will appear on your desktop, just double click on the .bat file and all will be done auto magically for you. (you will see a black cmd window)

Then just delete the little files off the desktop. :)

Job done (I am assuming you are xp)

post-1555-1248957821_thumb.jpg

post-1555-1248957821_thumb.jpg

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

If you go to c\windows\system32\drivers\etc and hover curser over host file it should say it was modified on 27th.

Also if you right-click on the host file there and choose sent to>notepad it will open.

If say you choose one of the things from the list and enter it into your browser, for example

w*w.c.abnad.net (replace * with w I didn't want to make a live link to it)

you should just get an error page as the host file should block you from going there.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Andavari

You`ve just made me realise I need to ask another question!,when updates become availiable.(is it Abu who always find then!)

do i need to download the file again as per installing it for the first time or is there just an "update"file ?

if you see what i mean !!

Fluff

• Moderators

Fluffy just do exactly the same as you did before, download zip to desktop, open it there, click the bat file and it will update the host entry for you automagically.

Then delete little files from desktop :)

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Also don't forget the instructions on the hosts file page regarding disabling 'DNS client' service:

Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine.

This only occurs in W2000/XP/Vista. Windows 98 and ME are not affected.

To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"

* Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)

* Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties

* Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"

* Select: Manual, or Disabled (recommended) click Apply/Ok and restart. [more info]

When set to Manual (or Disabled) you can see that the above "Service" is not needed (after a little browsing - when set to Manual) by opening the Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS Client and check the "Status" column. It should be blank, if it was needed it would show "Started" in that column. There are several Utilities that can reset the DNS Client for you ... [more info]

Editors Note: The above instructions are intended for a single (home-user) PC. If your machine is part of a "Domain", check with your IT Dept. before applying this work-around. This especially applies to Laptop users who travel or bring their work machines home. Make sure to reset the Service (if needed) prior to connecting (reboot required) to your work Domain ...

Also don't forget the instructions on the hosts file page regarding disabling 'DNS client' service:

Again, that's something that is very easy to do with Hostsman. I'm not sure why everyone in this thread seems to be recommending doing everything the long, manual way, but Hostsman simplifies everything to do with hosts file management.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• 3 weeks later...

i was trying the new version july 27-09

i know a lot people like this app. and since i'm still looking for an adblocker for IE8 i found this newest version is not detecting some flash ads like for example if you go to this site http://www.rpp.com.pe/

-i still see a flashing ad USING IE8 ,on other sites too.."maybe i'm the only one"..do you guys see it?

i was trying quero toolbar [freeware]..this tool is unbelievable,,,is a great ad blocker for IE8,but it stops adobe flash player functions in justintv,news sites videos,youtube videos.....so i uninstalled it..

so guys please tell me if you can see the flashing ads at that site..

for now i'm using the latest opera beta and fanboys list,,works great.

still no good ad blocker for IE8

thanks

• Moderators
still no good ad blocker for IE8

thanks

There's an ad blocker in IE7Pro (which you have to manually enable in it btw). Using any ad blocker though is much better when combined with a HOSTS file, and you can also turn off Flash temporarily with IE closed of course using SpywareBlaster.

It would be much better though if sites didn't require so much on Flash, like the very quirky experience that had me just leave Chevrolet's website due to how sluggish it was due to the poor clickability of their buttons, pure rubbish.

well like i said before many sites use flash like news sites,youtube,justintv..and i don't think turning off flash solves the problem..admuncher can do that but thta's payware..

..can host be modified to not allowd flas ads?

• Moderators
..can host be modified to not allowd flas ads?

All you need to do is block the specific ad sites if they are for instance not already included in the MVPS hosts file. To block specific areas which contain the flash ads you need to figure out where a site has their ads stored such as:

ads.somesite.com

-or-

www.somesite.com/flash/ads

Which could be blocked very effectively and easily using a combination of the HOSTS file for things like "ads.somesite.com" and for things like "www.somesite.com/flash/ads" you'd have to block them with an adblocker since those slashes it's these: /

aren't used by the HOSTS file.

By only blocking the ads such as "www.somesite.com/flash/ads" you won't necessarily break the whole site from properly loading on your system.