System restore doesn't work...

LuLu

About 3 days ago my friend did her routine virus scan/malware scan stuff. AVG and Housecall both detected a trojan so she cleaned it and everything was fine. M-bam detected 4 registry key infections (Adware.minibug) and removed them and everything was ok. In the midst of all this, she downloaded and installed some windows updates and the new IE8. Today she started having issues with programs not opening (AOL, AIM, MusicMatch) and her computer locking up, so she tried doing a system restore. None of the restore points worked. Then later it randomly rebooted and now she's at least able to get on AOL and use Windows Media Player. I'm wondering if all of this is due to the windows updates and the IE update (only because I had similiar problems on an old PC). So I'm wondering if she should uninstall those things or if anyone has an ideas for her?? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

She did that. But it turns out a couple months back she tried to do a system restore and it still wouldn't work.

Now she's trying to delete some files and she gets a message saying "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". She also gets the same error when she tries to transfer stuff to her spare hard drive.

Any takers?

Ok so after uninstalling IE8, nothing has locked up but as she was attempting to delete/transfer stuff to her spare drive, it wouldn't let her access the drive. Still gives the I/O message from earlier.

And now there is an old error message she says she used to get after boot up. It pops up on her desktop and says Windows - No Disk in the corner of the box and inside the box says Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c.

Could the two be related??

Ok so after uninstalling IE8, nothing has locked up but as she was attempting to delete/transfer stuff to her spare drive, it wouldn't let her access the drive. Still gives the I/O message from earlier.

And now there is an old error message she says she used to get after boot up. It pops up on her desktop and says Windows - No Disk in the corner of the box and inside the box says Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c.

Could the two be related??

I think,it could be.Or just go into Device Manager and DISABLE floppy drive,first.

There is Complete solutions, HERE to fix it.Thats Old article but useful.

Good Luck

Yeah she doesn't have a floppy drive though, so I don't think that'll work.

I checked out that link. I'll FWD it to her. Thanks!!

• Moderators

I'd say you should ask her to follow this thread to make sure her system is actually clean as some malware infections require specialized removal tools, and qualified help from a malware removal expert.

Edit:

If she finds some of her issues are from IE8, give this thread a look on blocking future installation of it - if she removes it.

• Moderators

Also Lulu sit down with a coffee and read this 16 page thread spread over 2 years , everyone of them with that exception message.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...processing.html

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I'd say you should ask her to follow this thread to make sure her system is actually clean as some malware infections require specialized removal tools, and qualified help from a malware removal expert.

Well, she has run TFC and Mbam (along with Spybot). But getting her to do the rest will more than likely not happen. She runs into problems anytime she tries to do anything out of the ordinary on her PC so she's very wary about certain things, even if they are meant to fix problems.

Edit:

If she finds some of her issues are from IE8, give this thread a look on blocking future installation of it - if she removes it.

Thanks. She did remove it and her PC performance improved significantly. Now it's just those two errors she's trying to overcome.

Also Lulu sit down with a coffee and read this 16 page thread spread over 2 years , everyone of them with that exception message.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...processing.html

OMG Hazel. My eyes hurt just from the first page. lol I'll read it though, and *maybe* be able to figure out why her PC is nutty.

Nope that's not it either. All she was trying to delete was some pictures and MP3's. After consulting with a friend of mine who builds computers and such, I'm gonna have her unplug the spare drive and see what happens. He basically said that since it was the main drive from her old PC, that there could be some kind of conflict going on (even though it was set as a slave) OR the drive is shot (which could be the cause of the I/O error msg). If she could remember when she first saw the Windows - No Disk error message, it would help, but she says it's been there for "so long". But I wouldn't be surprised if the two were linked somehow.