What To Uninstall!

LIL NOOB

What can I safely remove from this list..

I don't want to delete any Windows components so what can I safely uninstall from here?

I don't really want anything on the computer just the Windows Basic stuff.

whattounistall-1.jpg

Thanks in advance. :)

If i were you i would remove the followings: everything related to AOL, BigFix, LiveReg, LiveUpdate, McAfee Anti-spyware, McAfee SecurityCentre, Norton AntiVirus, Pure Networks Port Magic, America Online, and Synaptics Pointing Device Driver (Optional). I chose to remove those because most of the time they can be replaced with free ones. However, this is just my opinion.

If i were you i would remove the followings: everything related to AOL, BigFix, LiveReg, LiveUpdate, McAfee Anti-spyware, McAfee SecurityCentre, Norton AntiVirus, Pure Networks Port Magic, America Online, and Synaptics Pointing Device Driver (Optional). I chose to remove those because most of the time they can be replaced with free ones. However, this is just my opinion.

I find myself agreeing for the majority with what Stocker said.

I would get rid of AOL if you don't use it. With that, you can get rid of the Viewpoint Media player - it is tied into AOL. http://www.viewpoint.com/installer/v4/html/vmp_faq.html That is if you don't use it at all. You can get rid of the Learn2Player if you do this as well.

I would blow all of the McAfee stuff off. I am the one person who likes Norton. I've used it, and it used to be a system hog, but I've never had problems with it. The newest version, 2009 I believe, was received very highly by Maximum PC, cause they totally rewrote it. Much faster and efficient. That is your choice. If you remove it, you will need an AV program.

I don't know what Pure Network Port Magic is, but you can probably do without it. You can get rid of Real Player as well. Also, I don't know what BigFix is. If you don't use Microsoft Money, that can go as well. I would update Adobe Reader, and make sure Java is fully updated.

AJ

Thanks people.

And I really want to get rid of everything that's useless even the Antiviruses.

I just don't want to unistall any Windows components like I did last time when I made my Pc crashed.

If you really mean to clean it all off, then only keep

"Intel Extreme Driver",

".NET framework 1.1",

"Microsoft Works" (its what opend you word docs),

"Nero" (if you burn CD's/DVD's),

"SoftK56 Modem",

"Synaptics pointing device".

"Power DVD" (if you play dvd's on the pc)

"Java 2" (but the latest is java 6 so it NEEDS removing then updating)

But I would recommend putting an antivirus back on after removing them ( http://www.free-av.com/ or http://www.avast.com/)

fireryone

If you really mean to clean it all off, then only keep

"Intel Extreme Driver",

".NET framework 1.1",

"Microsoft Works" (its what opend you word docs),

"Nero" (if you burn CD's/DVD's),

"SoftK56 Modem",

"Synaptics pointing device".

"Power DVD" (if you play dvd's on the pc)

"Java 2" (but the latest is java 6 so it NEEDS removing then updating)

But I would recommend putting an antivirus back on after removing them ( http://www.free-av.com/ or http://www.avast.com/)

Alright thanks!

BWT what's "Windows Backup Utility"?

Just wondering ..I didn't uninstalled that.

One more thing..What's Local Disk (D:)

I notice there's one on my laptop when I go to computer.

Can anyone tell me what is it for?

You can leave windows backup installed :)

Local Disc D:\, Is usually your CD/DVD-ROM unless its another hard-drive,

Alright thanks for the info.

And when I open Local Disk D..I get some info about a system restore files.

Probably the inbuilt full system restore my laptop has..

I took a quick glance at that list and thought "everything". Of course I'm being facetious and upon closer look there are a few legitimate apps in there as noted by the other replies. What is in that list is easily in 95% of all PCs right now. Pretty disturbing thought.

• Moderators
Alright thanks for the info.

And when I open Local Disk D..I get some info about a system restore files.

Probably the inbuilt full system restore my laptop has..

Does your D:\ disk look like this?

t880_20090418165500.jpg

If so, it's your "Recovery Partition". Much more extreme than System Restore.

It's used to reinstall Windows back to "Factory State" if you should ever have a problem serious enough to need a complete Windows reinstall.

• Moderators

I've no idea what that icon denotes exactly, but it looks like something to do with maybe bluetooth.

I'm probably way off, but I'm sure there'll be someone on here who has one similar and will put us all right as to what it is.

I've no idea what that icon denotes exactly, but it looks like something to do with maybe bluetooth.

I'm probably way off, but I'm sure there'll be someone on here who has one similar and will put us all right as to what it is.

Well, When I open it, it says something about a..

"Recovery Partion-WARNING!

This area of your hard disk ( or partion) Contains

files used for system recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this portion could prevent any

recovery later"

I'm guessing it's what you told me about the recovery partion..But it looks way different then yours. ;)

• Moderators
I have that on my computer too Dennis. I was always wondering what the was for. Now I finally know. :)

Exellent Ice, so if something completely scuppers your PC, you've got a lifeboat sitting there to come to your rescue. :D

Mind you, it's a last resort, as using the Recovery Partition puts you right back to factory state. Which is why we're always banging on here about folk making regular backups of data, and using some form of Imaging software to make a "snapshot" backup of their Operating System.

Saves sooooooooo much pain.

• Moderators
Well, When I open it, it says something about a..

"Recovery Partion-WARNING!

This area of your hard disk ( or partion) Contains

files used for system recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this portion could prevent any

recovery later"

I'm guessing it's what you told me about the recovery partion..But it looks way different then yours. ;)

Yep, it's exactly the same, just with a different name. There may also be a process in your startup called "recguard", or something similar, which is a small program that protects that important partition from being corrupted or written to by any outside influence.

If you have both, best to leave well alone in case you ever need to use it.