Net Framework 3.5

Tom AZ

• Moderators

I have up to version 2 installed, and I haven't hit anything important yet that needs anything else.

In another thread recently, Augeas confirmed that he has no NET Framework installed at all, and runs fine with that. My opinion would be not to install anything unless you need it.

In a similar vein, I've had no Java install for about 5 months now, and I haven't found anything asking me to install it, or telling me it won't work without it. That's not a recommendation to anyone of course, just a "for info" mention.

• Moderators

You don't technically need it installed if none of your software requires it.

I however have it installed and ready to go just in case it's needed since some freeware and open source developers are relying upon .NET Framework to make what would otherwise be rather bloated programs really small for distribution and installation since all the bloat comes directly from .NET Framework itself.

I've had it for a long time and have no issues with it or ever had issues with the older versions. Some folks just seem to have knee-jerk reactions to anything MS (IE may be warranted! lol). I also happen to like Windows Defender, which nowadays updates at least once daily.

I only have the NET. Framework 1 installed because it came installed default with my PC. So just decided to leave it on there, just in case I uninstall it and it screws something up. I haven't had any programs need NET. Framework 2 or 3 other than the FileHippo update checker.