Cannot convert external drive from fat32 ntfs

Hi all. I'm using a WD 500 gb external drive that is fat32 that i want to convert to ntfs. I've done everything write according to about a dozen sites that i have seen using the command prompt and convert string. But each time i get the message that it cannot be converted because it is write protected. Any idea how to remove this? I bought the hd myself and basically just plugged it in via usb about a year ago and havent touched it since. So i have no idea how it would be write protected. Can this be removed so i can convert, or do i have to do a complete format to make it a ntfs drive?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Try Unlocker on the drive. If that for some reason fails try Unlocker on everything on the drive including the System Volume Information and Recycler folders.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

Hi all. I'm using a WD 500 gb external drive that is fat32 that i want to convert to ntfs. I've done everything write according to about a dozen sites that i have seen using the command prompt and convert string. But each time i get the message that it cannot be converted because it is write protected. Any idea how to remove this? I bought the hd myself and basically just plugged it in via usb about a year ago and havent touched it since. So i have no idea how it would be write protected. Can this be removed so i can convert, or do i have to do a complete format to make it a ntfs drive?

It may sound strange but do you think WD wants you to execute some of that software first before they let you get to it?. I downloaded the software first. Then I started Karen' Replicator and then stopped it since i found out I need to to Convert to NTFS.

I ran the command and it converted what had already been put onto the drive and it reported that Convert was successful. I then restarted Karen's Replicator and it reported the original files as up to date and picked up where it was stopped by me earlier .

Darn I can't remember if I also had to start a Service that was not running or not.

When I plugged it in I put the power in first and then the USB cord and pushed the button on the WD 500 HD. Did you push the button ? I can't remember if I used the Search for new hardware icon or Device Manager or just rebooted. I must be tired since I know I am not getting old. I already am old.

Given what I can. I hope it helps stir your thoughts a little.

Good luck,

:) davey

Can't believe you plugged it in a year ago and haven't used it.

Did you take the wrapper off? I couldn't get it off fast enough. :lol:

If you did that a year ago, you may have turned off the WD service. Let me take a look. Be right back.

Logical Disk Manager on Auto

Logical Disk Manager Admin on Manual

Memeo Auto Sync I disabled after an hour

Mionet I disabled after an hour

Plug and Play on Auto

Removable Storage on Auto

Then there is the WD Anywhere Backup program. If you used it then you might have some protected files.

Run it and use the Help button for all the info.

Of course UNLOCKER maybe quicker. All I know about it are that you need to understand what you are doing because it can break things.

See you later. :) davey My brain wants resting or perchance to dream.

Edited by davey

Have you tried putting the HD in the system as a slave drive?

Maybe Vista does not like old FAT32 things?

Do you have access to an XP system?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

One or two other users with a similar problem

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185805

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread137013.html

Also have you tried plugging it into another computer?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hey guys ill check out the links today. I have plugged the drive into other computers and they read the files. Works on my xp home, vista 86x, and vista 64x with no problems. I've filled the hard drive up completely with files and it works no problem, simply wont let me convert it. There is no button to push on it, and it doesnt open up so i cant try and hitch it up as a slave drive. its simply plug in and it runs.......i got it cheap, probably should have gotten something a little more versatile, and didnt realize it was fat32 till i had filled it up....darn it! if i have to i can reformat it as its a back up of another drive, but i was hoping not to have to do it......

thanks for the help thus far all.....ill report back when i get a moment......kids are rowdy rowdy rowdy right now! :)

alrighty. k i tried the links and followed all the instructions.....nadda. so i got frustrated and did the shock and awe approach and im formatting the drive as we speak. probably spend less time transfering the data then playing around with it. thanks for your help and suggestions though guys! :)

What we need is a FAT64.

Fat Albert would approve:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396592

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user