Good firewall-suggestions?

Eli

Hi

Any recommendation for a good firewall? :

1.Not intrusive 2. Not heavy on the system 3.Better than Win. xp pro firewall.

Thanks

EP

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

I agree

A NAT router is the best kind of firewall to have.

Fortunately my ISP supplied DSL modem includes a NAT router function that protects my 3 systems.

I only use Tiny Perfect Firewall 2.0.15 A on my XP Pro system because it has enough power to run it.

I personally do not like system resident firewalls as they slow browsing down too much for me and I prefer to run other prevention applications such as Windows Defender and WinPatrol.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
I only use Tiny Perfect Firewall 2.0.15 A on my XP Pro system because it has enough power to run it.

Tiny Personal Firewall? That old version is easily exploited, unless you have manually configured some tight rules. If you're running it in its basic configuration, ouch. I'd be afraid to use it nowadays, although it was good in its day which was years ago.

Tiny Personal Firewall? That old version is easily exploited, unless you have manually configured some tight rules. If you're running it in its basic configuration, ouch. I'd be afraid to use it nowadays, although it was good in its day which was years ago.
I found it really annoying until I figured out what applications should have Internet access and why they need it.

I have tight rules.

It was recommended to me by Steven Burn ( MysteyFCM ) of hpHosts fame a while back.

Personally I think that a a software firewall is redundant and wanted by the paranoid or incompetent but I doubt if the incompetent could figure out how to use it.

With a good up to date anti virus application and protection applications like Windows Defender and WinPatrol the nasty applications won't get running on your system.

If you don't have a hardware based firewall for Internet access then all bets are off.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Besides having a hardware firewall, either included in the router or others, you may try PC Tools Firewall Plus. I'm currently testing it in my virtual machine. The pop-ups can be easily understood as your experience with the firewall increases. If you don't like pop-ups, then configure the firewall not to monitor outbound connections. If you are bothered by any network slowdowns caused by the firewall, your best choice would be going back to XP's default firewall.

Thank you all, Ithink I`ll try online armor.

EP

Using Online Armor here, runs fine.

Hi Hazelnut, do you use the free version?

EP

Keeping the Windows Firewall is as light as is gets. A firewall really does nothing more than block TCP/UDP port traffic to and from the host, and that's exactly what the Windows Firewall does.

Using a hardware router's integrated firewall provides a zero-footprint on your PC, so I agree completely 1984. Online-Armour is a firewall indeed, but it has other things that really are more in the anti-virus /anti-spyware space.

I personally use Windows Live OneCare on my home PCs. In terms of the firewall, it adds a little more firewall user functionality, such as easier firewall setup for the lay person and knowing when the network has changed, say for mobile users.

:)

I'm actually thinking of buying Sunbelt Personal Firewall. Just when I thought I'd never use another third-party software-based firewall I am.

What has prompted you to consider this, Andavari?

Keeping the Windows Firewall is as light as is gets. A firewall really does nothing more than block TCP/UDP port traffic to and from the host, and that's exactly what the Windows Firewall does.

That's actually only half of what every other software firewall does. You're forgetting about outbound protection. That's the most significant difference between the built-in XP firewall, and every other firewall on the market. It's also the primary reason people upgrade from the XP firewall. Every software firewall has decent port blocking, but it's the program control that sets the better ones apart.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png