All offered Windows Updates will not install

Robbie

Windows XP SP3 Home Edition

Ever since I downloaded the final SP3 update I have been unable to install any updates that have been offered the past 2 months. Is anyone else having this same problem or have any idea what the problem might be? I have had no problems installing updates on this computer ever since I bought it 2 years ago. In fact, I installed one of the SP3 Release Candidate versions and it all went smoothly, all updates being installed with no problem.

Last month I uninstalled XP SP3 RC1 and then installed the final SP3 version offered through Windows Update. Again, it all went smoothly except afterwards it wouldn't install two High Priority updates and one optional update. Now, a month later with the latest updates being out there ALL have failed to install.

They are:

Update for Windows XP (KB942763)

Root Certificates Update (optional update)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2008 (KB890830)

Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB950759)

No reason is given for why any of them failed to install.

Tonight I've uninstalled SP3 and reinstalled, this time using the SP3 disk I created from the iso file Microsoft made available when the final SP3 was launched (rather than using Windows Update to install SP3 this time). It has made no difference - the same updates will not install.

I don't know what to do next - I don't like leaving my computer open to potential problems by not installing all the latest updates but my computer will not install any of them! I'm wondering / dreading that this could be an ongoing problem. Should I just revert back to SP2? I could do a full reinstall of Windows but haven't got the time at present so it could be weeks before I can do this.

Any suggestions?

Hi Robbie,

I got exactly the same problem as you. On the other hand, when I turn off my laptop, it goes off saying installing updates 1 of 7, but shuts down without any install updates. I tried emptying the software distribution folder, it didnt work. Would really like to see if anyone else has resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Rgds,

Patrick.

I downloaded XP SP3 fine yesterday. I had an update today for the same things you mentioned. They updated fine too.

HP Pavillion 9895 desktop (2000 ME native)

Pentium 1.7

512 ram

Robbie, I grew up in Durham and came to Canada in '57.

Try Dial-a-fix:

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Windows XP SP3 Home Edition

I don't know what to do next - I don't like leaving my computer open to potential problems by not installing all the latest updates but my computer will not install any of them! I'm wondering / dreading that this could be an ongoing problem. Should I just revert back to SP2? I could do a full reinstall of Windows but haven't got the time at present so it could be weeks before I can do this.

Any suggestions?

Hi Robbie,

I got exactly the same problem as you. On the other hand, when I turn off my laptop, it goes off saying installing updates 1 of 7, but shuts down without any install updates. I tried emptying the software distribution folder, it didnt work. Would really like to see if anyone else has resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Rgds,

Patrick.

I had similar problems right before the release of SP3.

Just like YoKenny says.

Dial-a-fix fixed my problems with Windows updates and many other problems.

I use it all the time now.First thing I check when I suspect a problem.The Tools come in handy all the time(Hammer icon at the bottom).

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix

Good luck,

:) davey

All fine here with those updates.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

A BIG, BIG thank you to YoKenny and davey for the suggestion of Dial-a-fix - it worked a treat! I'd heard of this application but had never used it before.

The problem was solved by clicking on "Flush Software Distribution" and then after trying the option of preserving Windows Update history (by clicking on "Yes") which didn't work, I then tried the option of "No" which completely erased Software Distribution which included erasing my Update History. After doing this, the updates were installed with no problem. What a brilliant program that Dial-a-fix is!

Perhaps patrick_415 could try using this program and see if it works? Though he did say he had emptied his software distribution folder.

Anyway, a big thanks to all who answered and for YoKenny, I'll be in Durham on Saturday and will raise a glass in thanks to you when I'm in one of the local pubs!

A BIG, BIG thank you to YoKenny and davey for the suggestion of Dial-a-fix - it worked a treat! I'd heard of this application but had never used it before.

The problem was solved by clicking on "Flush Software Distribution" and then after trying the option of preserving Windows Update history (by clicking on "Yes") which didn't work, I then tried the option of "No" which completely erased Software Distribution which included erasing my Update History. After doing this, the updates were installed with no problem. What a brilliant program that Dial-a-fix is!

Perhaps patrick_415 could try using this program and see if it works? Though he did say he had emptied his software distribution folder.

Anyway, a big thanks to all who answered and for YoKenny, I'll be in Durham on Saturday and will raise a glass in thanks to you when I'm in one of the local pubs!

I'm glad it worked for you.

I like Newcastle Brown Ale

I work with Steven Burn ( MysteryFCM ) of hpHosts fame who lives in TyneSide.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Dial-a-fix stops a service that's running though, so just emptying out Software Distribution might not work, i.e.; the service may just have to be stopped first.

Dial-a-fix stops a service that's running though, so just emptying out Software Distribution might not work, i.e.; the service may just have to be stopped first.

Just running the WU/WUAU actually calls for a few (three) services to be restarted. WUAUSERV (Windows Updates Automatic Updates) and BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service). Of course, when you go to repair broken Windows Updates, you also have to fix the Cryptographic Services which Norton/Symantec is famous for breaking, amongst many other things. In fact, Norton broke so many things on so many computers I literally lost count within the first few months I worked at the shop. Plus a lot, and I mean a lot of DLLs have to be re-registered which can be seen in this DAF log:

--- Windows Update ------ Registration: Windows Update/Automatic Update DLLs ---12:26:26 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml.dll12:26:26 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml.dll12:26:26 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml2.dll12:26:27 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml2.dll12:26:27 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml3.dll12:26:28 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml3.dll12:26:28 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgr.dll12:26:28 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgr.dll12:26:28 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgrprxy.dll12:26:28 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgrprxy.dll12:26:28 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winhttp.dll12:26:28 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winhttp.dll12:26:28 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll12:26:29 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll12:26:29 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll12:26:29 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng1.dll12:26:29 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng1.dll12:26:29 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll12:26:29 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll12:26:29 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll12:26:29 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll12:26:29 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll12:26:29 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll12:26:29 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuweb.dll12:26:29 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuweb.dll12:26:30 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll--- SSL/HTTPS/Cryptography ---12:26:40 AM | Executed 'cmd.exe /c rmdir /q /s C:\WINDOWS\system32\Catroot2'--- Registration: SSL/HTTPS/Cryptography ---12:26:45 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptdlg.dll12:26:45 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptdlg.dll12:26:45 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptui.dll12:26:45 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptui.dll12:26:45 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptext.dll12:26:45 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptext.dll12:26:45 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dssenh.dll12:26:45 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dssenh.dll12:26:46 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\gpkcsp.dll12:26:46 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\gpkcsp.dll12:26:46 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\initpki.dll12:27:12 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\initpki.dll12:27:12 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\licdll.dll12:27:13 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\licdll.dll12:27:13 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mssign32.dll12:27:13 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mssign32.dll12:27:13 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mssip32.dll12:27:13 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mssip32.dll12:27:13 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\scardssp.dll12:27:13 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\scardssp.dll12:27:14 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\sccbase.dll12:27:14 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\sccbase.dll12:27:14 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\scecli.dll12:27:15 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\scecli.dll12:27:15 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\softpub.dll12:27:15 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\softpub.dll12:27:15 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\slbcsp.dll12:27:15 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\slbcsp.dll12:27:17 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regwizc.dll12:27:17 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regwizc.dll12:27:17 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsaenh.dll12:27:17 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsaenh.dll12:27:18 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winhttp.dll12:27:18 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winhttp.dll12:27:18 AM | Unregistered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintrust.dll12:27:18 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintrust.dll--- Registration: Programming cores/runtimes ---12:27:18 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll12:27:19 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\corpol.dll12:27:19 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\jscript.dll12:27:19 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dispex.dll12:27:19 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\scrrun.dll12:27:19 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\scrobj.dll12:27:20 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vbscript.dll12:27:20 AM | Registered: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wshext.dll