Problem downloading with Firefox

Tom AZ

Firefox has been giving me lots of headaches when I'm trying to download files. The download begins -- then just stops after downloading a small portion of the file (sometimes it doesn't even start at all) -- and eventually times out. For instance, if I were downloading a 3MB file, it may download 750k then stop (no exact pattern as to how much gets downloaded before it quits). I've looked at just about every setting I can find, but I don't see anything obvious.

This is terribly frustrating and driving me crazy.

• Moderators

Have you tried the shortcut in the Firefox start menu program group named: Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)

Or run it via: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode

Perhaps it could be add-ons/plugin related, and Firefox Safe Mode will disable plugins in order for you to find out. Other than that I don't really know what it is, perhaps a messed up Firefox user profile or prefs.js file.

If one of these were the problem, is there a way to correct either one?

The simplest way is to make regular back ups of your profile so you can easily replace it if it gets messed up. If you don't have a back up you will have to make a new profile and transfer the settings over. This is assuming your problem is a messed up profile. It may just be a bad extension.

Will the FEBE add-on accomplish this same thing>

Problem would be if your profile is corrupt transferring everything across will just transfer the problem accross (which is exactly what that Mozbackup program will do if it just backs up the entire profile rather than choose individual items, don't know if it does though). At least with FEBE you can use it to backup your extensions/themes/bookmarks and transfer just them to a new profile.

You didn't say if you tried Firefox safe mode to rule out an extension.

Problem would be if your profile is corrupt transferring everything across will just transfer the problem accross (which is exactly what that Mozbackup program will do if it just backs up the entire profile rather than choose individual items, don't know if it does though). At least with FEBE you can use it to backup your extensions/themes/bookmarks and transfer just them to a new profile.

You didn't say if you tried Firefox safe mode to rule out an extension.

This is how I use Mozbackup. I back up my Firefox profile with it when everything is as I want it in Firefox. At this point my profile that I just backed up is good and working properly. I store that backed up profile on a Thumb drive or a folder on my machine. When if/when Firefox gets a corrupt profile for what ever reason I simply use the backed up profile and Firefox is back to where it was. Mozbackup does all the work for you. It's great for new installs of Firefox to. Just install Firefox and don't touch any settings. Launch Mozbackup and use the backed up profile and your new install of Firefox will be exactly the same as the the version you backed up from. Very simple way install Firefox on several machines.

Mozilla recommends using it for a reason. It works ;)

This is how I use Mozbackup. I back up my Firefox profile with it when everything is as I want it in Firefox. At this point my profile that I just backed up is good and working properly. I store that backed up profile on a Thumb drive or a folder on my machine. When if/when Firefox gets a corrupt profile for what ever reason I simply use the backed up profile and Firefox is back to where it was. does all the work for you. It's great for new installs of Firefox to. Just install Firefox and don't touch any settings. Launch Mozbackup and use the backed up profile and your new install of Firefox will be exactly the same as the the version you backed up from. Very simple way install Firefox on several machines.

Mozilla recommends using it for a reason. It works ;)

But that's no good for Tom AZ if his profile is corrupt already (gives him options for the future though).

By the way I just have FEBE scheduled to backup my profile once a week, and to only keep three backups, so I never have to do anything myself unless I need to restore anything and I know it's there then. I'm not knocking Mozbackup, I'm sure it works well, but FEBE is as good as I'll ever need. Just cos Mozilla recommends it doesn't mean something else can't be better - Microsoft recommend Internet Explorer but is it better than Firefox? ;)

But that's no good for Tom AZ if his profile is corrupt already (gives him options for the future though).

Yeah I know that that's why I told him in my first post if he hadn't already backed up his profile he will have to make a new one.

The simplest way is to make regular back ups of your profile so you can easily replace it if it gets messed up. If you don't have a back up you will have to make a new profile and transfer the settings over. This is assuming your problem is a messed up profile. It may just be a bad extension.

• Moderators

After ruling out that it isn't an add-on/plugin causing it which Safe Mode will accomplish is important to do first. It could possibly be a corrupt Firefox user profile. In that case all you really need to do is backup your bookmarks to another location such as the Desktop or My Documents, which can of course be easily imported if doing a fresh clean install of Firefox.

It will take some time on your part however all the other stuff like add-ons can be added again easily especially if you write down beforehand what add-ons and themes you use before uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox. I actually bookmark all of my favourites in case Firefox goes kaput and needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled.

After ruling out that it isn't an add-on/plugin causing it which Safe Mode will accomplish is important to do first. It could possibly be a corrupt Firefox user profile. In that case all you really need to do is backup your bookmarks to another location such as the Desktop or My Documents, which can of course be easily imported if doing a fresh clean install of Firefox.

It will take some time on your part however all the other stuff like add-ons can be added again easily especially if you write down beforehand what add-ons and themes you use before uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox. I actually bookmark all of my favourites in case Firefox goes kaput and needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled.

Than when you get it the way you like it back up the profile and this will be a non issue going forward.

If I had to set up Firefox from scratch it would be a big PITA. I know what extensions I use and where to get them no problem but 15 extensions is a lot to reconfigure. Tabmix Plus and the All In One Side Bar probabaly have about 100 options to set up between the two of them. It would probably take me over an hour to get Firefox to where it is now maybe longer.

• Moderators
May be some help at the link below?

Unable to save or download files in FF

The heading "Remove download manager plugins - Windows" has some merits because I remember some download managers that once uninstalled would leave Opera in limbo where it couldn't download files, and I've even seen the same happen with Internet Explorer in the past too.