Googled, and got a nasty surprise.

DennisD

• Moderators

This isn't the thread I was intending to post.

I was gonna ask you guys what sort of books you read, who is your favourite author etc.

So I googled my favourite author, to provide a link, and I find out that he's dead. Died in July last year, and I had no idea.

David Gemmell 1948-2006:

David Gemmells Books:

I've read, and escaped into, every book on this list, and at the moment I'm reading the book at the top of the list, "Fall Of Kings", the third book in his "Troy" trilogy, which appears to be his last book.

His first novel, Legend, was published in 1984 and has remained in print ever since. He became a full-time writer in 1986.

This was the first book of his I read, round about that time, so he's been a small part of my life for over 20 years. Wow, I'm really saddened.

Do we have any other David Gemmell readers on here?

• Moderators
I'd like to read more, but I'm always on the computer and too stubborn to find out what type of books I like.

Same here. I used to read allot of books literally half a lifetime ago, however computers and video games, and other gadgetry has left books in the dust for me.

I liked Stranger In A Strange Land ( the uncut version ) by Robert A. Heinlein, all of the Riverboat series by Philip J. Farmer, Childhood's End by Sir Arthur C. Clarke, Journey of Awakening by Ram Dass, Sadhana, a Way to God: Christian Exercises in Eastern Form By Anthony De Mello plus Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman.

I like reading and have an extensive library of books that I rotate through every once in a while.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
Never heard of him. On the now rare occasion I read a book it's usually James Herbert, Stephen King or Terry Pratchett.

I've read a few James Herbert and Stephen King. Tried, but couldn't get into Terry Pratchet, although he's up there with the best authors. David Gemmell is worth a try, but bear in mind that books in each of his "series" tend to follow on from each other, if not always in storyline, usually in way of character development, and "Legend" is the book that started them all.

Dennis, being a sci-fi book fan I have read quite a few of David gemmell's books.... a sad loss.

I have just finished The Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb and can recommend it.

Thanks Hazel, will give that a try for sure, although I'll be starting again with David Gemmells "Legend".

I liked Stranger In A Strange Land ( the uncut version ) by Robert A. Heinlein, all of the Riverboat series by Philip J. Farmer, Childhood's End by Sir Arthur C. Clarke, Journey of Awakening by Ram Dass, Sadhana, a Way to God: Christian Exercises in Eastern Form By Anthony De Mello plus Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman.

I like reading and have an extensive library of books that I rotate through every once in a while.

Read quite a few Robert Heinlein over the years, along with Philip J. Farmer and Arthur C. Clark, but the others you mention are new to me. There was a time when I had the idea of starting a library, a nice display of books, but with three extensively stocked public libraries within 15 minutes of me, it never happened.

EDIT: Speytone, is that a genuine recommendation, or are you trying to tell me something? :lol:

Doesn't sound like my kind of book, but I'll watch out for it.

i read a few of his books back in the day. but i dont read books hardly anymore either. i have about 500 of them in a big pile on the floor sitting behind this computer im typing on and my wife is constantly asking me to give them away, but i just cant seem to do it....

My favorite author is Stephen King. But, with that being said, I'll read just about anything that strikes my interest. I've always been a book worm. Just don't ask me to remember what the books are about. I swear once I'm done with it, all brain retention of the subject is gone. LOL

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?