This is a nice little program!

slowday444

Process Lasso! Process Lasso is a unique new technology intended to automatically adjust the allocation of CPU cycles so that system responsiveness is improved in high-load situations. It does this by dynamically temporarily lowering the priorities of processes that are consuming too many CPU cycles, there-by giving other processes a chance to run if they are in need. This is useful for both single and multi-core processors. No longer will a single process, even at normal priority, be able to bring your system to a virtual stall.

I only occasionally "hang up", however, when it does occur it's a pain. It (P L) has been running flawlessly. You can enable a notification icon, I have it disabled. I'll keep the program until the first time I get the "This program is not responding" (or whatever it states) text box and then I'll know the program is useless. Then again, that may never happen again!

http://www.bitsum.com/prosuper.asp

You can enable a notification icon, I have it disabled.

http://www.bitsum.com/prosuper.asp

Just downloaded and installed this to give it a try -- so far so good. Seems like I can already detect some improvement -- unless, of course, it's just my imagination ;) .

By the way, how do you disable the notification icon?

Just downloaded and installed this to give it a try -- so far so good. Seems like I can already detect some improvement -- unless, of course, it's just my imagination ;) .

By the way, how do you disable the notification icon?

Right click it and it says something about disabling the GUI. Then after you do that there'll be a text box asking if you want to shut the whole program down, of course say no.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried it on last computer and didn't really notice any difference.

Maybe the reason is... you have many resources. :rolleyes: So you don't notice such Lasso'performance. I work with Win 2000, PC 860 Mhz, 510 RAM... (not a top choice... but I don't want to change... I like it). :lol:

E.g.: when I open - at the same time - 15 sites in my Maxthon the computer hangs. Process Lasso works: "Process priority temporarily lowered - consuming too many CPU cycles". Others processes can to do their work.

Lasso is customizable. GUI doesn't need to be activated.

Process Explorer has plenty of info. Process Lasso is action.

;)

• Moderators
This sounds like something I'd really be interetested in trying.

Can anyone tell me how many system resources are used by the program itself, or how much RAM is used?

It's rather cool, although at the moment I can't tell if it's making a difference or not however I suppose I will once Automatic Updates starts again which is always a resource hog on my system making it hard to do much of anything the first two minutes after I've started my system.

It doesn't use much resources, here's the amount of memory it's using (click image to enlarge):

4d6fa38e496.png

It's rather cool, although at the moment I can't tell if it's making a difference or not however I suppose I will once Automatic Updates starts again which is always a resource hog on my system making it hard to do much of anything the first two minutes after I've started my system.

It doesn't use much resources, here's the amount of memory it's using (click image to enlarge):

4d6fa38e496.png

Off topic. I see you installed Antivir how do you like it?

• Moderators
Off topic. I see you installed Antivir how do you like it?

I like it and have only dealt with one false positive against Panda ActiveScan which I rarely used so I uninstalled ActiveScan. Much of what the premium version has I simply don't need like the email guard (I use web-based email). The detection and removal of other types of malware such as spyware is cool, I guess, however there's so many free anti-apps that do a good job of removing it too. I do like the ability to exclude many of the archives on my system that will never change which AVG Free kept scanning every time which was a significant waste of time. Using AntiVir (free or paid) allows files to be excluded thus I'm saving about six minutes each full system scan.

At least the premium version is updating, whereas the free version would often poop out and not do anything for several minutes, hours, or days.

Other than that there isn't much to say between the free and premium versions, so from my own personal experience I'd say anyone still using the free version that missed the 6 month trial isn't really missing much but a few little extras that can be easily and freely covered using freeware software. Another nice thing is the premium version doesn't have that annoying nag screen via avnotify.exe to buy an upgrade, however that can easily be disabled in the free version.

It doesn't use much resources...

Thanks, Andavari. I've got it running now, but I'll have to use it for a while to really see how much difference it makes.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

4d6fa38e496.png

It looks like you have the Process Supervisor active. I haven't been using it. Is there any real need for it other than providing a Task Bar visual of what's happening?

• Moderators
It looks like you have the Process Supervisor active. I haven't been using it. Is there any real need for it other than providing a Task Bar visual of what's happening?

According to the documentation leaving it running allows quick access to the GUI, rather it's a necessity or not I don't know yet because I've only just started using PL myself.

I can comment now that my system does seem to be running smoother.

According to the documentation leaving it running allows quick access to the GUI, rather it's a necessity or not I don't know yet because I've only just started using PL myself.

I can comment now that my system does seem to be running smoother.

The Process Supervisor doesn't need to be running, it still does its stuff with just the background service (ProcessGoverner) running. You can have quick access to the GUI with a quick launch icon without an extra process running :D

After testing this for a while, I can confirm (on my PC at least) that it really slows things down. Opera takes approx 4 times as long to start with it running. In other situations, there is no advantage at all as well. I don't see much of a reason to keep this around... :(

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
After testing this for a while, I can confirm (on my PC at least) that it really slows things down. Opera takes approx 4 times as long to start with it running. In other situations, there is no advantage at all as well. I don't see much of a reason to keep this around... :(

Interesting. On my system I've had almost fours years and have never seen explorer.exe and svchost.exe (the bloated process it has) not using at least 29 MB of memory, it seems to be keeping them under wraps. At the moment this is what they are:

1b9ba7266510.gif