Registry Cleaners

Jak Spade

• Moderators

I use CCleaner's registry cleaner (it's in the large Issues button) each and every day, it's one of the few and rare that are safe enough to do so while at the same time being really fast. And only after I've uninstalled something I'll then use Registry Mechanic (commercial registry cleaner). Doing things that way keeps the clutter down in my opinion which is a must for me because I have zero patience going through an arm length list with invalid registry data.

I use registry cleaner(s) everytime i uninstall (or install) something. Basicly that's when you should use them. I also use them sometimes, even when i'm not uninstalled or installed anything.

IMO, using registry cleaners every day is unnecessary (unless you uninstall or install programs every day). Windows does not create invalid registry entries, if there's no any reason for that. If there always is some same entries, that always will be re-created, it's unneeded to delete them everytime.

I have received conflicting reports on the frequency with which I should use a registry cleaner - some say every day while others suggest every month or so. What does the conventional wisdom say?

Anyone have any experience with the cleaner RegistryFix?

Nope but its a red site with McAfee SiteAdvisor for adware and bad shopping experiences: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/registryf...se&aff_id=0

Plus it's not free and the only non freeware reg cleaner worth shelling out for is Reg Mechanic IMHO

Thanks for your comments. That's what I thought, too. But I just read about it -- always interesting to get the reaction and input of others.

• Moderators
Jak Spade said:
Personally, I find Eusing free reg cleaner to be very good. It is fast and safe to use. Has anyone else tried this?

It creates too many false positives, i.e.; finding valid stuff that shouldn't ever be messed with as invalid. You'd better know what you're doing using it, and do make a System Restore point before cleaning with it or an ERUNT registry backup. ERUNT is free and highly recommended because it can restore the registry if/when System Restore fails to do so.

It creates too many false positives...

Yeah, after i have cleaned my registry with other cleaners that i mainly use, "Eusing" does not find any real invalid entries. Like i.e. 'RegScrubXP', it list empty keys as invalid. Well, they might be actually unneeded, but (most of) those empty keys are OS related/created, and they will be re-created (atleast some of them) after reboot.

There's four registry cleaners that i mainly use; jv16 PowerTools 1.4.1, jv16 PowerTools 2005, RegSeeker and CCleaner 'Issues' cleaner. They all complete each other. I consider my registry as a clean (atleast clean enough for me) after using all of them. I have also tried bunch of other reg. cleaners, but they don't find anything "new".

Keep in mind, that there always will be some invalid entries in your registry, regardless of what cleaners do you use. Reg. cleaners simply are not capable to found all the unnecessary entries, that might be lurking in your registry.

• 2 weeks later...
I have received conflicting reports on the frequency with which I should use a registry cleaner - some say every day while others suggest every month or so. What does the conventional wisdom say?

One more time on registry cleaners...

I use Registry Mechanic (and CCleaner). And, I have come to trust and respect many who share regularly on this forum -- so I just wanted to check on this one more time. Here's a quote (see below) from another forum from about a year ago. It seems to be absolutely contrary to what I've read on this forum -- especially from Andavari. And, of course, I'm not at all sure about the knowledge or credibility of the individual that made this statement -- so any additional comments or clarification would be welcome.

"Registry Mechanic, in my usage of it, has had a tendency to produce false positives which would corrupt various software had I let it make the recommended deletions. RegSeeker, in my opinion, is a more trustworthy registry cleaner and considering it is free it's a much better value too. Thus, I would dump registry Mechanic in favor of RegSeeker."

• Moderators
LOL, maybe in a parallel universe but not in this one :D

Ditto.

RegMech can and does give false positives, however they're very small compared to many other registry cleaners free or paid which need a very large exclusion list.

There's four registry cleaners that i mainly use; jv16 PowerTools 1.4.1, jv16 PowerTools 2005, RegSeeker and CCleaner 'Issues' cleaner. They all complete each other. I consider my registry as a clean (atleast clean enough for me) after using all of them.

After using all those registry cleaners, you've never had a problem with MS Office? That's usually the first program that has a problematic startup after using registry cleaners. At the least, it causes a malfunction with the help files, causing the program to ask for the install disk every time you select help.

After using all those registry cleaners, you've never had a problem with MS Office?

I don't got MS Office.

I can safely delete all the founded entries with those two jv16 PowerTools cleaners and with CCleaner. With RegSeeker i can't do that. With RS, i have to be careful what to delete.