Tabbed favorites and browsers!

slowday444

I still truly love Firefox and can't see myself dumping it. However, having said that, nothing is carved in stone. Like Andavari, I've never been able to get use to Opera. One thing I would demand from a browser is tabbed bookmarks. Many tout tabbed browsing, however, I never really read you can tab your favorites. Any suggestions?

I still truly love Firefox and can't see myself dumping it. However, having said that, nothing is carved in stone. Like Andavari, I've never been able to get use to Opera. One thing I would demand from a browser is tabbed bookmarks. Many tout tabbed browsing, however, I never really read you can tab your favorites. Any suggestions?

Hi slowday444 B)

I'm using IE7 at the moment, and if I click on my favorites button and then hold my mouse over a folder an arrow appears, if I click on the arrow all the links in that folder open separate tabs.

Is that what your getting at? "tab your favorites"

I'm thinking about adding a new browser, problem is, I can't decide which one to get. I've been reading posts about the different browsers like firefox and opera, but there are such mixed opinions about each of them it's hard to decide which one to get. I really don't want to try them ALL out, but would rather choose the right one the first time-out, and be done with it. Besides the security issue with IE, what other reasons do I have to change my browser from IE7 to something else? I'm curious to know what I would have to gain by having for example, Firefox.

I've been using IE7 exclusively for approximately 6 years now, but before then I used AOL's browser. What I experienced with AOL's browser was I couldn't save pictures to my PC. There was the notorious red-X instead of the pic, making it clear to me that there was a compatibility issue, or possibly a bug. Then, when I would use internet explorer, the pictures would save correctly.

Have any of you ever experienced any problems similar to this with Firefox or any other browser types out their? This will help me make a better decision as to which one to try first.

Thanks

• Moderators

I started using Firefox ever since 0.97. I have not found another browser I have liked, I have tried ever browser I could find. But, none of them compare to the speed and user ability of Firefox.

Actually the same goes for Thunderbird too.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

I started using Firefox ever since 0.97. I have not found another browser I have liked, I have tried ever browser I could find. But, none of them compare to the speed and user ability of Firefox.

Actually the same goes for Thunderbird too.

What version of firefox would you say is the best? I noticed several editions like 2 and the latest version 3. I wouldn't want a google package or anything like that, just the firefox by itself.

• Moderators

I think you may find that everyone has their own idea of which browser is best. I think it's probably the one you feel most comfortable with using. If someone needs a certain feature and a certain browser supplies it, well that's going to be the best for them.

I personally like opera because it suits the way in which I use the internet, but I know people who swear by IE7.

Perhaps you could download opera and firefox portables to your usb stick and give them a try without the hassel of installing them on your computer.

Opera

http://opera-usb.com/operausben.htm

Opera tutorial

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/flash/

Firefox portable

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

The help files are just a bit futher down the page.

You could put clamwin portable on at the same time so you have some av on.

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable

Have fun :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi slowday444 B)

I'm using IE7 at the moment, and if I click on my favorites button and then hold my mouse over a folder an arrow appears, if I click on the arrow all the links in that folder open separate tabs.

Middle click a folder in Firefox Bookmarks and it will open in tabs. It's also in the right click context menu in book marks.

What version of firefox would you say is the best? I noticed several editions like 2 and the latest version 3. I wouldn't want a google package or anything like that, just the firefox by itself.

I always use the latest version of Firefox which is currently 2.0.0.6. Firefox 3 is in development so it's not a stable final release.

Besides the security issue with IE, what other reasons do I have to change my browser from IE7 to something else? I'm curious to know what I would have to gain by having for example, Firefox.

Thanks

The difference between using Firefox and IE7 a is like the difference between driving a Ferrari or a Ford Focus. IE7 is the Ford Focus with a flat tire and a trashed tranny ;) There are over 2000 extensions for Firefox for everything you can imagine. Once you start using them you will see that you can customize it like no other browser. If I had to pick one and only one browser it would be Firefox. Having said that I use 6 browsers regularly and they are all decent, IE7 being the worst of them.

IE7 is the least configurable of the browsers. Opera is loaded right out of the box. Maxthon 1 an 2 are also loaded and also have about a thousand extensions for them. Firefox is not nearly as feature rich as Opera and Maxthon on install but that is more than made up for with the extensions.They can all be skinned which IE can't. I see no reason to limit yourself (deprive yourself) by relying on IE7 exclusively.

Hi slowday444 B)

Using Firefox I keep 12 bookmarks in the Bookmark Toolbar. They are always there.

The difference between using Firefox and IE7 a is like the difference between driving a Ferrari or a Ford Focus. IE7 is the Ford Focus with a flat tire and a trashed tranny ;) There are over 2000 extensions for Firefox for everything you can imagine. Once you start using them you will see that you can customize it like no other browser. If I had to pick one and only one browser it would be Firefox. Having said that I use 6 browsers regularly and they are all decent, IE7 being the worst of them.

IE7 is the least configurable of the browsers. Opera is loaded right out of the box. Maxthon 1 an 2 are also loaded and also have about a thousand extensions for them. Firefox is not nearly as feature rich as Opera and Maxthon on install but that is more than made up for with the extensions.They can all be skinned which IE can't. I see no reason to limit yourself (deprive yourself) by relying on IE7 exclusively.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I went ahead and downloaded the Firefox 2.0.0.6. I'm using it now, and it's great! I think I'll just wait and get a little more familar with it before I change it up any. I'll probably add a different Theme first. What's the difference between a Theme and a different skin? Are they one in the same?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I went ahead and downloaded the Firefox 2.0.0.6. I'm using it now, and it's great! I think I'll just wait and get a little more familar with it before I change it up any. I'll probably add a different Theme first. What's the difference between a Theme and a different skin? Are they one in the same?

?Skin and theme as far as Firefox goes is the same thing.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna like this. I just changed the theme to Aluminium Kai 2. Looks great!

How many different themes can you have?

Obviously you can only use 1 at a time but you can have as many as you want installed and switch when ever you want. I have 5 that I switch between in Firefox. In Opera I have 10.

I think you may find that everyone has their own idea of which browser is best. I think it's probably the one you feel most comfortable with using. If someone needs a certain feature and a certain browser supplies it, well that's going to be the best for them.

I personally like opera because it suits the way in which I use the internet, but I know people who swear by IE7.

Perhaps you could download opera and firefox portables to your usb stick and give them a try without the hassel of installing them on your computer.

Thanks a lot for the help Hazelnut and the links I appreciate it. I went with Firefox and having a good time :D I'm sure opera is great too, but I wanted to choose just one for now. This is a big difference compared to IE.

Thanks a lot for the help Hazelnut and the links I appreciate it. I went with Firefox and having a good time :D I'm sure opera is great too, but I wanted to choose just one for now. This is a big difference compared to IE.

Yeah I think you will like driving the Ferrari (Firefox). Leave the Ford Focus (IE7) parked. Use it as a winter beater. :lol:

• Moderators
Like Andavari, I've never been able to get use to Opera.

I used to be an Opera user though, and liked it so much back in the version 5 era I bought a license to use it. It's just after version 7 that I started not liking it.

I'm thinking about adding a new browser, problem is, I can't decide which one to get. I've been reading posts about the different browsers like firefox and opera, but there are such mixed opinions about each of them it's hard to decide which one to get.

You just have to try them for yourself regardless of what other people think or say about them since the developers can't cater to every single persons whim.

The difference between using Firefox and IE7 a is like the difference between driving a Ferrari or a Ford Focus. IE7 is the Ford Focus with a flat tire and a trashed tranny ;) There are over 2000 extensions for Firefox for everything you can imagine.

We must think alike because I also use car analogies when describing stuff sometimes. However IE6 isn't even up to the class of a Focus, it's more like a rusted out old Pinto.

We must think alike because I also use car analogies when describing stuff sometimes. However IE6 isn't even up to the class of a Focus, it's more like a rusted out old Pinto.

Yeah I agree. I was referring to IE7 though when I used the Focus as an example. ;)

IE7 has improved since the introduction of tabbed browsing...

I came across Opera when it was version 5 or so...

I discovered Firefox at 1.0PR...

I've used Avant, Seamonkey, Netscape, the old Mozilla, Flock...

I've even tried (extremely briefly) Safari for Windows...

However, for me, a browser is only worth its while (tabs notwithstanding) if it supports Roboform - and that in itself is a hoary chestnut, especially with Opera users. It seems the v0.9.x Flock and Safari aren't taking on Roboform, so they're out. Firefox remains the firm favourite :)

Windows 7 - Office 2010 - Internet Explorer 9

All better than the versions preceding them :D