Windows Updates Site

Anthony A

I just payed a visit to Windows Update Site like I do every once in a while. Select express scan and immediately a message poped up saying I needed to download some components to use the site. :blink: I already have the Genuine Advantage Validation Tool Installed. So I clicked on the download and sure enough it installed that $hit again. I tried on my other machine and same thing. This is no coincidence. I tried on two other machines and this did not happen. The two machines that required a reinstall of the crap have IE7 installed the other two do not. I am wondering if the latest Windows updates, which included a huge 20 mb turd for IE7, caused this. Anybody using IE7 have to reinstall the Validation Tool after the last Windows Updates? Try to use the Updates Site and see what happens.

• Moderators

They update this thing every now and then. Doesn't really bother me and wont until it causes a problem or something.

But yeah on my desktops I had to do that too(I only manually update them from the site anyway)

They update this thing every now and then. Doesn't really bother me and wont until it causes a problem or something.

But yeah on my desktops I had to do that too(I only manually update them from the site anyway)

Are all the machines that required the reinstall using IE7 and this just happened after the last update?

Yeah I have IE7 on them.

I updated them on tuesday when all the patches came out.

I suppose that before the update you could use the Windows Update site no problem? Something in the IE7 update must have messed this up.

• Moderators

I think I know whats happening maybe you can verify this. I just noticed that on one my desktops I went back to the MS site it took me to Microsoft update instead of windows update. I guess they are trying to transfer people over to MS update instead of windows update? Maybe thats why the needed the new WGA.

• Moderators

I don't know its really taking me to your link or if I'm getting redirected. When you go there does it look like this:

untitledhr2.th.jpg

The difference between MS update and windows update is that MS update will update office and stuff too. It used to be a choice which to use by my computers seem to have auto upgraded to MS update after I downloaded the new WGA from the active x prompt on tuesday.

my computers seem to have auto upgraded to MS update after I downloaded the new WGA from the active x prompt on tuesday.

Mine has been taking me to Microsoft update for months, I thought everyone was updating through Microsoft Update now (as opposed to Windows update) :huh:

Mine has been taking me to Microsoft update for months, I thought everyone was updating through Microsoft Update now (as opposed to Windows update) :huh:

Not me. None of the 4 machines here go to MS update. Still Windows updates.

Not me. None of the 4 machines here go to MS update. Still Windows updates.

Once you go there you cant go back :angry:

It's like sky diving....no turning back AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thats where I am directed to. I have also noticed after a HJT scan that the MS 016 entries have gone

I don't know its really taking me to your link or if I'm getting redirected. When you go there does it look like this:

untitledhr2.th.jpg

The difference between MS update and windows update is that MS update will update office and stuff too. It used to be a choice which to use by my computers seem to have auto upgraded to MS update after I downloaded the new WGA from the active x prompt on tuesday.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

Well I'm still curious about my original question. Did any body else have to reinstall the Genuine Advantage Validation Tool after the last update?

No, before I could download the updates

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators

I have just been to update windows as I have been on holiday for a week.

Went to start>all programs>windows updates. I was then taken to microsoft updates in the address bar, but the page itself said windows updates :huh:

After it checked, it said I couldn't have any because I didn't have automatic updates on. So thinking I must have set it to disabled instead of manual, I had just typed run>services.msc when the little balloon kindly told me there were updates for me :huh:

Was downloading them and it stuttered and asked me to start again. Started again and then installed and rebooted.

Problems getting to desktop and internet was a bit iffy for a minute or two.

No, I was not asked to reinstall validation tool (unless that's what the stutter was!)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I have just been to update windows as I have been on holiday for a week.

Went to start>all programs>windows updates. I was then taken to microsoft updates in the address bar, but the page itself said windows updates :huh:

After it checked, it said I couldn't have any because I didn't have automatic updates on. So thinking I must have set it to disabled instead of manual, I had just typed run>services.msc when the little balloon kindly told me there were updates for me :huh:

Was downloading them and it stuttered and asked me to start again. Started again and then installed and rebooted.

Problems getting to desktop and internet was a bit iffy for a minute or two.

No, I was not asked to reinstall validation tool (unless that's what the stutter was!)

Do you use IE7? I ask because it was only the machines with IE7 that required a reinstall of the Validation tool. This was after the last Windows updates that included a big one for IE7. The machines with IE6 didn't have this problem. Tried this on two machines with IE6 and two with IE7.

• Moderators

Yes Anthony, I used IE7 to download updates.

Just had a look in 'add and remove' and last validation tool install I can see there was in March. It does mention a security update for IE7 for today.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Yes Anthony, I used IE7 to download updates.

Just had a look in 'add and remove' and last validation tool install I can see there was in March. It does mention a security update for IE7 for today.

Hmm, wonder why I had to reinstall it on both the machines with IE7?

Wonder if adding IE7 Pro in the last week had anything to do with it?

I had to install this one (KB892130), which seems to want to be updated every few months. Had a good look at it to make sure they weren't trying to smuggle in the WGA Notify tool, that's the one that gets on my wick. But it was OK.