Restore After Running CCleaner

glaustin

Hi guys

I've run CCleaner for a while on older machines. Recently I bought a new Win 7, Dell Precision 6700, 64bit laptop and after several months I want to run its first clean-up (I always run a registry back-up when I run the registry clean).

As this is a new laptop I don't want to banjax something, so I did a bit of surfing to confirm about using CCleaner and I'm a bit confused. I thought it was safe for dummies to run the clean-up and registry clean-up in their default settings, but it seems that may not be the case and some even advise not to run the registry clean at all!

If my clean-up goes wrong and something stops working, can I run windows restore after to recover or does CCleaner erase those files for good?

I look forward to hearing.

Regards,

Graham

• Moderators

Blind registry cleaning is never a good idea. In ccleaner or any other software

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

If my clean-up goes wrong and something stops working, can I run windows restore after to recover or does CCleaner erase those files for good?

Instead of relying upon System Restore which can sometimes fail it's better to use a good disk imaging software and there's several available such as these two which offer a freeware version; Macrium Reflect, DriveImage XML, etc.

Edited by Andavari
fixed typos

Originally there was also a free version of Easeus Todo, but then they only offered this for a price.

Recently a free version is back :-

http://www.majorgeek...ee_edition.html

There are of course many nice extras if you pay, but what you get for free is more than adequate :-

http://www.todo-back.../comparison.htm

On that comparison page, ALAN is quoted as endorsing their product with :-

"I know just enough to get in trouble and your backup software is the best in the market."

Please note that I AM NOT THE ALAN :o

Though I must admit that I am happy that when I do get into trouble, Macrium Reflect saves my bacon :)

• Moderators

Just to be sure then, when Ccleaner tells me there are non-existent registry items or extensions, I should be careful (as I mentioned, I always back-up the registry beforehand)?

Yes (see my signature below)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I've never trusted the Windows restore function. I make weekly disk images with Macrium and backup my user data files every day.

My main desktop PC just went flaky this morning with several weird problems (I think I know what I did :(, and it wasn't the Registry). I decided to restore my last image and user data. Took a couple hours but I am back running without the bugs and lost no data. It was the shorter of trying to troubleshoot the several problems.

Image... backup... image... backup... image... well, you get the point. ;)

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

Took a couple hours but I am back running without the bugs and lost no data. It was the shorter of trying to troubleshoot the several problems.

Yeah Macrium Reflect saved me from the issues caused by Microsoft's Update Tuesday from last week, those .NET Framework updates I loathe especially when they mess up the computer. I no longer troubleshoot, takes far to long and it's quicker and less frustrating to restore from a recent and known good backup image.

Yeah Macrium Reflect saved me from the issues caused by Microsoft's Update Tuesday from last week, those .NET Framework updates I loathe especially when they mess up the computer. I no longer troubleshoot, takes far to long and it's quicker and less frustrating to restore from a recent and known good backup image.

+1

The only problem I had was the Macrium Rescue disk wouldn't boot & I know I tested it after I created it in Aug. Since the PC wasn't totally dead, I was able to burn another one. That was scary.

+1

The only problem I had was the Macrium Rescue disk wouldn't boot & I know I tested it after I created it in Aug. Since the PC wasn't totally dead, I was able to burn another one. That was scary.

My Macrium Boot discs have never failed me - but I still do not trust that they will boot the next time.

Therefore whenever there is an extra benefit from a new update I will create and use the latest version - but keep all the previous versions in reserve just in case.

About 2 years ago when I first moved from XP to Windows 7 I failed to correctly prohibit any Updates from even downloading.

After one busy day of creating new documents and setting up desktop shortcuts,

I was horrified that a Microsoft update came crashing through and made my system unusable.

That destroyed Windows and wiped out a whole day of work that had not yet been backed up.

I plugged in the Macrium boot recovery CD and used it first of all to backup C:\ in its thoroughly trashed condition.

That took perhaps 8 minutes.

Only then did I restore the latest backup of a fully operational C:\ (taking about 6 minutes) and then boot back into Windows as it used to be before my last day of work.

Then I mounted the last good image as P:\ and the latest bad image as Q:\

and in less than 1 minute BestSync presented a tree comparison showing every difference between P:\ and Q:\,

and I ignored the chaotic differences between \Windows\...

and simply selected the differences between the desktop short-cuts and the user documents,

and copied to C:\ the latest shortcuts and documents that had been backed up by the Boot Recovery CD.

In less than half an hour I retrieved all the previous day's work that Microsoft update had destroyed.

I use the 64 bit portable freeware version at

http://www.risefly.com/fsedwld.htm

Well, this is weird. I restored the PC (WinXP desktop in my signature), no problem. The problems I was experiencing were gone and I used the PC for the rest of the day. I powered off the PC last night as usual. When I powered it up this morning, it took waaay longer to boot up (much HDD activity). When it finally came up, my same problems were back. :wacko:

I just ran a full virus scan (Norton) and it found no problems. Next I'm going to run MB & SAS to check for any malware. If that all comes back clean, I'll restore an older image. This is NOT what I had planned to do today. :angry: Futz time.

Edit: One of the problems I am experiencing is that IE will no longer start. No errors, it just won't start. I just tried to start MB which was already installed and got this error: Run-time error '339': Component 'ieframe.dll' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid. Sounds to me like MB depends on IE and since there is something wrong with it, MB can't run.

I may just have to restore the older image and start over. Grrr

It occurred to me, hazelnut, after my last post, that what started as a direct response to a post, I've turned into hijacking the OP's topic, which I didn't mean to do.

Maybe I should start a new topic in the 'hardware' forum. What do you think?