Puppy Linux v. 5.20

login123

For Linux fans, Puppy 5.20 is out. Best yet, I think. Free, small (127 mb), fast. Puppy Link

Has a ton of features ... will play IMDB videos in Opera browser ... couple of open source office suites can be installed. Can save files to an external usb device.

Will run perfectly off a mini DVD, I have it on a 4 gb usb stick, set to only save changes when I tell it to.

This post by a very knowledgeable member of their forum :P tells how to do that. Just kidding, of course. I know less about Linux than I do about windows, if thats possible. But that little trick worked.

Looks nice, too. th_puppylock3_11_wcpu.jpg

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I think puppy is a really cool idea, and I liked it the few times I tried it.

The problem I have is that it doesn't really feel(to me anyway) like a robust OS experience like I would get out of windows(or even another linux distro like ubuntu or fedora).

I think its a really neat but I couldn't imagine trying to use it as my daily OS.

Maybe its the really low feature desktop their using, maybe if they went for gnome or something it would feel more like a full feature OS.

• Moderators

Puppy is a great little thing for anyone who has never used Linux before and is too scared to try it.

The fact is you only have to download the iso, burn it to disc and then pop it in your machine and reboot.

This allows you to try out Linux without worrying, as when you've had a try you just shut your machine down. Another cool thing is because it can run in memory (until you reboot) you can take out the cd once Puppy is running and it will still work.

I haven't reached the dizzy heights of Login123 :) but will admit to trying out loads of different linux iso's.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I think puppy is a really cool idea, and I liked it the few times I tried it.

The problem I have is that it doesn't really feel(to me anyway) like a robust OS experience like I would get out of windows(or even another linux distro like ubuntu or fedora).

I think its a really neat but I couldn't imagine trying to use it as my daily OS.

Maybe its the really low feature desktop their using, maybe if they went for gnome or something it would feel more like a full feature OS.

No, it doesn't feel like a "real" OS to me either. It does know some tricks though. Old dog, new tricks...never mind... :P What I have always looked for is an OS which won't "change" unless I want it to. Puppy seems a step in the right direction.

I have a question about that security issue. When I have Puppy running in memory, and connect to the internet, is it possible for evil-doers to get to my "real" C: drive or other hardware? Is it easy for them? Never have been quite comfortable about that. I remember a long ago post by you, rridgely, about a Mint machine and a public wifi access and exposed files.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

This allows you to try out Linux without worrying, ...

I haven't reached the dizzy heights of Login123 :) but will admit to trying out loads of different linux iso's.

:lol: Yes, it is lonely at the top ...

If you hadn't spoken well of it I would never have tried it. And when that black screen with all those dots showed at startup, I kept saying "Hazelnut said this will work...Hazelnut said this will work...And it did.

And since there is very little time and money at risk, one can experiment a bit.

Err, do ya know any more good Linuxes?

Login do you enable the Puppy default firewall?

I do, as it's only a click!!

Just now did. Amazing. Instantaneous. Still connected. :-) Thanks.

Tried it before and it cut me off from the net...maybe...something did but it may have been me floundering around with the settings.

Will leaktest it right now, back in a minute.

Two tests by PC Flanktest. HERE

First setup using the top installation option "Automagic Default without questions" gave this:

Ports ... Warning! The test found visible port(s) on your system: 135, 137, 138, 139

Trojan horse check ... Safe!

Browser ... Danger! your browser reveals private information about you and your computer.

Second setup using the bottom installation option "Default Default Installation" gave this:

Ports ... Safe!

Trojan horse check ... Safe!

Browser ... Danger! your browser reveals private information about you and your computer.

So I guess I have a gossipy browser. Can probably fix that.

Edit: Shields Up! gives the firewall a pretty good report. No file sharing issues, 1 port visible but closed.

I've wanted to set my grandma up with a linux distro for ages, it'd run faster on her 1gb of ram than Vista does, and all she needs is an internet client and an email client..

This reviewer says a lot about it HERE. Don't know how much is fluff.

Edit: for the price of a usb stick you have an operating system. With your skills you can fix it up for her if anything does go wrong. I set up the firewall as suggested by Hazel, and it gets a report as good as Outpost.

For speed alone it completely smokes Windows! However I just can't get used to it, that and like all linux distros I have no audio.

Well, thats a pain. :-( There are some options in that setup menu, but I don't know anything about them. Might be necessary if you have an extra sound card?

Also, did you notice that it has GParted? As dangerous for me as a machine gun in a museum, :P but a great app.

I should mention here that I tried editing the shut down code as recommended on the Puppy forum and it gummed up the usb installation completely. Looks like maybe it was a mistake on my part.

• Moderators

Any luck using Alsamixer Andavari as mentioned in this thread here?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32219

Don't know anything about this as I'm lucky enough to have my sound work in Puppy

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Also, did you notice that it has GParted? As dangerous for me as a machine gun in a museum, :P

I noticed that and didn't go anywhere near it having pre-knowledge of what it was.

I'm may dust off my old Win98 machine and see what it does on that.

If anyone decides to try to lock Puppy down, may I humbly suggest that you don't go beyond the 3 line edits mentioned in that first post linked above, and then set the save session interval to zero. None of the other stuff I have tried has worked...does seem to work for others, but not for me.

Posted this here rather than start a new topic.

WARNING...this may set your teeth on edge.

Puppy runs in RAM. HD doesn't spin.

Ports ... Warning! The test found visible port(s) on your system: 135, 137, 138, 139

Question - Are those port numbers relevant to Linux ?

i.e. Is Linux just as treacherous as Windows at yielding control to any hacker knocking on those ports ?

So long as Windows has not booted I do not think Windows would assist a hacker.

Alan

Question - Are those port numbers relevant to Linux ?

i.e. Is Linux just as treacherous as Windows at yielding control to any hacker knocking on those ports ?

So long as Windows has not booted I do not think Windows would assist a hacker.

Alan

Yes, if I understand your question. When the firewall was set up using automagic, those ports were open. When set up using default they were not.

Setup options: th_puppy_leakfwl1.jpg

Using Automagic showed: th_puppy_leaktest1.jpg

Using Default showed: th_puppy_leaktest2.jpg which I presume is safe???

Shields Up! showed 1 visible but closed, don't remember which.

Open ports are only a security issue on an Operating System if there are services bound to the ports that can be exploited.

If no such services exist then there are no such risks, anyone who says otherwise would be scare mongering.

Blocking open ports only prevents incoming network traffic that won't make your machine any safer since the majority of malware infections come from browser exploits or bad email attachments.

Richard S.