AVG

xxxxsh4d0wxxxx

Yes, just for it to run when Windows starts.. not like any scanning, simply startup.

That is the default set up on install. It should just be starting and closing with Windows. I have installed AVG AV probably 20 times now on different machines and it's about as close as it gets to install and forget for a program. Runs, updates, scans right out of the box. Of course you can change the update times and scan times to some thing more convenient but if you did nothing but a default install it will work great on it's own without having to do anything.

• Moderators
That is the default set up on install.

Indeed, and that's the normal behaviour for any antivirus installation!

Since AVG isn't starting on startup the installation may be messed up, or you may have existing malware on your system preventing it's startup - in that case you'd need to follow these instructions to make sure it isn't malware related.

• Moderators

If you're on WinXP it could be Windows hiding inactive icons. To change AVG to always be shown right click the clock in the systray and choose Customize Notifications, then in there you can set AVG to Always Show.

• Moderators

When you download the installer and you run it, the default options for install are usually c/programs, are you accepting this default?

Also if you open the task manager is it listed in processes?

Don't forget under a lot of places in the computer it may be listed under Grisoft.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
How come the splash screen doesn't come up when Windows XP starts?

It just doesn't and thank goodness, it's not like another "security" app needs to display a splash screen. :rolleyes:

AVG does however load the Control Center for less than a second at the size you have it at during startup when the desktop is displayed and very quickly minimizes it into the systray, however it happens so fast you'll likely only see a quick flicker.

On WinXP these are the AVG .exe files that are always running (you can verify they're started or not by looking in Task Manager):

avgamsvr.exe

avgcc.exe

avgupsvc.exe

• Moderators
One last thing, the 2nd process you listed I don't have, I have "avgemc.exe" instead.

I just noticed I have avgemc.exe too but didn't notice it the first time. :rolleyes:

Since you're missing avgcc.exe that's the AVG Control Center which loads the systray icon next to the clock I'd say you're better off:

1. Uninstalling AVG.

2. Rebooting when requested.

3. Reinstalling AVG, and of course allowing it to update.

I would add that if you are going to uninstall AVG and reinstall that you should follow the proper procedure for this. It isn't just a matter of removing AVG with Add/Remove programs and than reinstalling. There is a procedure that AVG recommends on their forum. Here is the link to the sticky thread at their forum about uninstalling/reinstalling AVG http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php...8,backpage=,sv=

Anthony, the link says the thread is closed.

EDIT, is this the sort of thing you meant?

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5466/lng/us/tpl/v5

The thread IS closed because it is a Sticky. It is not inteneded to be replyed to. It's posted at the very top of one of their forums since "How to uninstall and reinstall AVG" is such a common question. here is a link to the forum. The sticky is the 4th one down http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/list.php?2

The link you provided is almost exactly the same instructions though except that it also explains the "repair option" as well as the uninstall option.