Back-up, recovery program

• Moderators

Windows 9x:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup

Windows XP:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup

Note:

Microsoft Backup from my experience has bugs in both the Windows 98 and XP versions, however if it works fine on your system then it's a viable option for a completely free backup and restore utility.

One note though:

Don't exceed 1GB or 2GB as you run the risk of not being able to copy the backup from a DVD. You're better off splitting any backup over 1GB in size with a free ZIP/UnZIP utility such as IZArc, 7-Zip, etc. I prefer WinRAR however it isn't free hence the recommendations for IZArc and/or 7-Zip.

Since IZArc and 7-Zip both can use the 7-Zip format (".7z") it's a good choice for creating a backup with maximal compression albeit it will be a very slowly created backup.

P.S.

Welcome to the CCleaner Forums 1200! :)

Windows 9x:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup

Windows XP:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup

Note:

Microsoft Backup from my experience has bugs in both the Windows 98 and XP versions, however if it works fine on your system then it's a viable option for a completely free backup and restore utility.

Of course its not installed by default in WinXP Home so it may not be there.

I have been hunting for a decent simple to use backup program for a while now as the Windows one doesn't work for me. My current favourite is Abakt

• Moderators

Found this website with a list of free backup software:

http://free-backup.info/backup-software.htm

The only one on that page I tried was TaskZip, however TaskZip really shouldn't be used on Windows 2000/XP systems according to the documentation, although it works just fine on Windows 9x systems.

Edit:

If you can't find a tool that suits your needs you can always craft a batch file (.bat) to copy files to another folder with folder structure, etc., then ZIP or use whatever archive format you wish. Personally this is what I've been doing for several months.

You can manually install the Windows XP backup utility from the Xp Home CD.

To manually install Backup:

1. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM to start a wizard that installs Backup:

CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP

2. When the wizard is complete, click Finish.

• Moderators

the problem is that i don't have the orginal cd.oop!!

Then you're probably s**t out of luck trying to install the crappy MS Backup utility.

If you have an OEM PC I believe you "may" be able to get a Windows CD or Restore CD from them with some sort of proof of purpose, although I don't know if there's a cost involved.

You can manually install the Windows XP backup utility from the Xp Home CD.

To manually install Backup:

1. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM to start a wizard that installs Backup:

CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP

Isn't that folder also installed on the computer, I remember having the valueadd folder on mine when it was new. I since deleted it though so can't say where it was :rolleyes:

Might be worth a quick search of all files and folders of your computer for 'valueadd'

forgot how i got it but there program called savepart(really small size), which claimed that it can save,partition and restore partition. Have to using it at boot though, i have not try it out yet because i dont have a floppy disk, if anyone could tell me how it goes if you like to try the program out. :D

even put into cd .also dvd i think(not sure though)

Comodo backup sounds interesting but I haven't tried it as I use Ghost 2003.

You may want to have a look.

Quote:

Automatic file backup and recovery for Windows XP and Windows 2000

FREE Download and License

* Easily backup files or folders anywhere on your computer, network, CD-RW or FTP server

* Protect yourself against ever losing those critical files that took hours to create

* Quickly recover your data in the event of data loss

* Schedule backups to run automatically at a time that suits you

* Synchronized backup feature - save a file and it gets copied instantly

* Send E-mail notifications to team members about the status of a backup job

* Save Disk space by compressing your backups as ZIP files

* Configure in minutes with our intuitive interface

Comodo link

Comodo backup sounds interesting but I haven't tried it as I use Ghost 2003.

Thanks for the link, I may give that a try when I get a chance.

While were on the subject though - Windows backup saves 'System State', what does that actually backup and is it possible/necessary to back it up with regular backup progs?

• Moderators

* Save Disk space by compressing your backups as ZIP files

Too bad they couldn't have had it plug into a licensed and installed version of WinRAR (rar.exe to be exact), or at the very least use the 7-Zip format. My prior experience backing up data with the ZIP format has produced some corrupt files just between re-installs of Windows itself.

Too bad they couldn't have had it plug into a licensed and installed version of WinRAR (rar.exe to be exact), or at the very least use the 7-Zip format. My prior experience backing up data with the ZIP format has produced some corrupt files just between re-installs of Windows itself.

Reject this message and all other messages from this email address

CC:

Hello XXXXX,

If you need a good software to backup and compress your data, please use WinRAR.

If you need a backup of your whole windows partition, please use a Software,

which supports a Disk Image Backup.

Best regards,

Klaro at WinRAR-Support

• Moderators

Hi Guys,

Make allowances for a newbie.

If anyones running a Compaq Presario, the system back-up is under:- Start > All Programs > PC Help & Tools > Compaq Recovery CD/DVD Creator.

This is such an obvious answer I don`t really want to post it, but I`ve no choice as I can`t find a cancel button.

Now 05.55. I`m cancelling myself, off to bed.

Happy New Year.

• Moderators

Compaq Recovery CD/DVD Creator.

Yeah but isn't that just writing the default WinXP install CD and the drivers for that particular computer?

The type of backup program the thread starter was looking for from the way I read it was something to backup current installed files on the system.

• Moderators

Yeah but isn't that just writing the default WinXP install CD and the drivers for that particular computer?

The type of backup program the thread starter was looking for from the way I read it was something to backup current installed files on the system.

You could be right, but I read it as just needing a complete system back-up in the event of something like a hard drive failure.

I made a complete system back-up disk when I was prompted by my pc, shortly after buying it, and with regards to currently installed files, I always back-up my data and downloaded installation files fairly regularly using Sonic. It seems solid and reliable, and I also use it for copying CD`s.

On my pc (XP SP2), the back-up program was already installed, and resides in "C:\Windows\Creator" folder.

I was a bit concerned by your mention of the fact that XP back-up has bugs. And I do actually have the full System back-up on one DVD.

Is it possible that this would not work if I ever came to need it. I`m learning as I go along here. It sounds like it would be wise to create another back-up with different software, or another back-up with more than 1 DVD with the same software ?

Any help, or constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

I was a bit concerned by your mention of the fact that XP back-up has bugs. And I do actually have the full System back-up on one DVD.

Is it possible that this would not work if I ever came to need it. I`m learning as I go along here. It sounds like it would be wise to create another back-up with different software, or another back-up with more than 1 DVD with the same software ?

The biggest problem with it is that it's a proprietary format that only it can unpack the files from, never a good idea to get a critical backup from. The last full system backup I did which was rather hefty I later found out couldn't be copied from the DVD I had it on without it being corrupt. Also it's even worse than the Win98 version since it doesn't even compress the backup anymore. IMO you'd be better off using something like good ole ZIP, 7-Zip's .7z format, or WinRAR's .RAR format which multiple freeware archivers can unpack - although I lean towards RAR since it has the ability of a recovery record. Although MS Backup's big advantage is the Volume Shadow Copy to backup in-use files.

• Moderators

The biggest problem with it is that it's a proprietary format that only it can unpack the files from, never a good idea to get a critical backup from. The last full system backup I did which was rather hefty I later found out couldn't be copied from the DVD I had it on without it being corrupt. Also it's even worse than the Win98 version since it doesn't even compress the backup anymore. IMO you'd be better off using something like good ole ZIP, 7-Zip's .7z format, or WinRAR's .RAR format which multiple freeware archivers can unpack - although I lean towards RAR since it has the ability of a recovery record. Although MS Backup's big advantage is the Volume Shadow Copy to backup in-use files.

Thanks for your advice Andavari, and your quick reply,

I`ve been looking at WinRar, Zip & 7-zip. I`ve also found a completely free program at http://www.izarc.org/, and there`s a good review of it at http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/I...ew-39571.shtml#.

Would appreciate your comments, or anyone elses, on what looks like a very good shareware back-up utility.

I`m a bit puzzled by something though. Why add that extra bit of risk to backing-up files by compressing them onto a disk, and then having the neccessity of having to use compatible software to uncompress.

Why not just back-up your self-installed files in uncompressed form ? This may not be possible with your Operating System due to it`s format and size, (put me right on this one), but I have the installation programs of everything I`ve ever downloaded, backed-up in uncompressed form on normal CD`s. Programs such as CCleaner, AudioGrabber, Media Player 10, Screensavers, FireFox, Opera, Skype, absolutely anything and everything.

Finally, is there any way to check a back-up for its integrity, especially the Operating System back-up ?

Regards

Jan 4. Edit: Too many questions in post. Deleted. (Hope that`s OK)