New Antivirus and Firewall

Jawbax

I currently use System Mechanic 6 Pro. I know that most users here are not keen on the one-button solutions and I completely agree with these sentiments. However I haven't had any problems with it and it's a great time saver.

What got me to also buy this product was the inclusion of the Kaspersky Antivirus and Firewall. Turned out to be a great deal personally.

Now System Mechanic 7 Pro is out. However they have gone independent with both their virus and firewall solutions. They use the West Coast Labs Checkmark-Certified log on their website and this is basically the only "reassurance" I have of their products. The tweaking and cleaning modules I'm completely happy with. It's the virus and firewall modules that concern me.

Really would like your opinions on this. Gut feel tells me to stick to what I'm safe with. However I don't want to write-off these guys just yet...

Thanks.

I am one of those who are not keen on one-button solutions. You simply have to trust that its setup correctly, and you don't get the power to configure it yourself. If you know nothing about a firewall, then it's good with a one-button solution, but if you know a thing or two, you probably want more in-depth configuration.

By the way, iptables turns me on.

Also, I wouldn't consider it "a great deal personally" since AVG Free and ZoneAlarm are free (as in beer) to download and use.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• 4 weeks later...
I currently use System Mechanic 6 Pro. I know that most users here are not keen on the one-button solutions and I completely agree with these sentiments. However I haven't had any problems with it and it's a great time saver.

What got me to also buy this product was the inclusion of the Kaspersky Antivirus and Firewall. Turned out to be a great deal personally.

Now System Mechanic 7 Pro is out. However they have gone independent with both their virus and firewall solutions. They use the West Coast Labs Checkmark-Certified log on their website and this is basically the only "reassurance" I have of their products. The tweaking and cleaning modules I'm completely happy with. It's the virus and firewall modules that concern me.

Really would like your opinions on this. Gut feel tells me to stick to what I'm safe with. However I don't want to write-off these guys just yet...

Thanks.

BEWARE IOLO - BEWARE SYSTEM MECHANIC - Depending on other programs already on the computer, SYSTEM MECHANIC can be a TRAGIC MISTAKE. I had IOLO System Mechanic 4 and 5 and liked the programs. Then I bought System Mechanic 6 and immediately had several problems with the program's arbitrary actions and damage to other programs that had worked fine with earlier versions. I tried to get support from IOLO, and it was less than worthless, shallow, and did not address the problem. I searched the internet (which I should have done before buying) and discovered a countless number of similar complaints. I finally asked IOLO for a refund (LAUGH). They said "THERE ARE NO REFUNDS". They will only refund if they cannot provide a solution to fix the problem. I asked them for the solution, they did not respond. I called and asked how long they have to furnish a solution and the support person said "as long as it takes." It has been five months, no solutions. I'm not a novice user, but the System Mechanic program caused serious interference with other programs, and also took several hours of my time before I finally had to entirely remove it from the machine and registry. IOLO is not the best or most reputable outfit on the net. IOLO took my money and returned nothing but grief. THERE ARE NO SYSTEM MECHANIC REFUNDS - THERE IS NO MEANINGFUL SYSTEM MECHANIC SUPPORT - SYSTEM MECHANIC PROBLEMS AND DAMAGE HAS BEEN REPORTED BY MANY USERS.

Would prefer a Ccleaner, Perfectdisk, Kaspersky setup myself.

Along with Sandboxie of course. :rolleyes:

I'm sure most of us have had our share of problematic software installs.

A decent backup system such as Norton Ghost or True Image is an essential in my books which can save hours of frustration if an install goes wrong.

There are other backup - rollback - virtualisation apps such as VMware and FirstDefense-ISR which are supposedly very good but I have been using Norton Ghost 2003 for quite a bit now and and happy with it.

• Moderators
There are other backup - rollback - virtualisation apps such as VMware and FirstDefense-ISR which are supposedly very good but I have been using Norton Ghost 2003 for quite a bit now and and happy with it.

Interesting that you should mention FD-ISR Humpty. I have had it on my system for a month or so and it has really changed the way I use my computer. I can test things, mess things up even and then just update to my other snapshot in a minute and my problem is gone as if it never existed. Wouldn't be without it now.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

ive been using system mechanic for a few years now,since SM5 i think,while generally its features arent that great i decided to keep it due to nostalgic value+the fact that their "pc total care" or "pc repair" are helpful enough.but i have to admit SM7 does look a lot better,and the inclusion of kaspersky virus and firewall is a smart move.what spyware program are they using in the new version?they used to use "spyhunter" which was ridiculously bad,hopefully they got rid of it,and the registry cleaner has never been particularly good either.

tbh you would prob be better off using ccleaner(which seems to do the exact same as all the different cleaning tools in SM7),ad-aware for spyware since this is probably SM7s weakest part(assuming they still using spyhunter),and shud be easy to get some good free registry cleaner,same for anti virus and firewall.

SM7 worth $69.99?hell no

Who watches The Watchmen?

• 3 months later...
BEWARE IOLO - BEWARE SYSTEM MECHANIC - Depending on other programs already on the computer, SYSTEM MECHANIC can be a TRAGIC MISTAKE. I had IOLO System Mechanic 4 and 5 and liked the programs. Then I bought System Mechanic 6 and immediately had several problems with the program's arbitrary actions and damage to other programs that had worked fine with earlier versions. I tried to get support from IOLO, and it was less than worthless, shallow, and did not address the problem. I searched the internet (which I should have done before buying) and discovered a countless number of similar complaints. I finally asked IOLO for a refund (LAUGH). They said "THERE ARE NO REFUNDS". They will only refund if they cannot provide a solution to fix the problem. I asked them for the solution, they did not respond. I called and asked how long they have to furnish a solution and the support person said "as long as it takes." It has been five months, no solutions. I'm not a novice user, but the System Mechanic program caused serious interference with other programs, and also took several hours of my time before I finally had to entirely remove it from the machine and registry. IOLO is not the best or most reputable outfit on the net. IOLO took my money and returned nothing but grief. THERE ARE NO SYSTEM MECHANIC REFUNDS - THERE IS NO MEANINGFUL SYSTEM MECHANIC SUPPORT - SYSTEM MECHANIC PROBLEMS AND DAMAGE HAS BEEN REPORTED BY MANY USERS.