Share your Registry Cleaning Experience using CC

golfbum

• Moderators

Yes however it's been dicussed before how safe the registry cleaning of CC is and the answer is typically that it's safe. In fact it's one of the safest programs with registry cleaning capabilities. It's also unlikely upon reboot that you'd notice any problems, however with that said the Issues scanner does offer to make backups although I haven't used the backup function for over two years in CC because what it lists is invalid.

that is why they call it a forum.

Thanks for the clue. :rolleyes:

I have used CCleaner's registry cleaning tool in the past, and I never had any problems with it.

However, registry cleaning is never 100% safe, so better take a full registry backup before starting cleaning. ERUNT is a very good registry backup tool.

I personally have stopped using any kind of registry cleaners, as I don't see any advantage to it. A few KB less in these large files means absolutely nothing (IMHO).

A few KB here and there can eventually add up to a lot. If your Registry becomes clogged with a lot of invalid entries, it can significantly slow down your system; if it gets bad enough it can produce system instability and frequent crashes.

While you don't necessarily need to clean your Registry often, eventually it will need to be cleaned. Myself, I prefer to just keep it cleaned as I go along. Installing ERUNT is a good idea, I've done so myself as an extra measure of safety.

• Moderators

I use RegSeeker now, because then CCleaner finds nothing, only missing shortcuts and I do not use backup either and I have no problems.

Not using the backup feature in RegSeeker to me is the same as jumping out of an airplane at high altitude without a parachute - you'll eventually shoot yourself in the foot with RegSeeker doing that if you don't find out exactly what it wants to remove each time as it only takes one instance to really mess up with it. This may be of help to you using RegSeeker.

Thank you, I do not need it, but you helped me to solve one long-term problem. RegSeeker allways found Wordpad.exe in Classes, even when it is removed with nLite and I realised, that I have forgot about exclude.ini, so I removed everything from there and now RegSeeker finds nothing. Thanks. ;)

My 18 month old Toshiba lappy has now twice this week gone into that screen on boot where it automatically runs a three-step process (which includes CHKDSK) to "verify disk integrity). I have had this happen on HDs before that were on the way out, but this is still a pretty new computer.

Am I approaching hosedom, or is this just nothing? I have a screenshot attached, if that helps.

It seems like there is a chance this comes from running the registry cleaning function of CCleaner prior to rebooting, but I am not positive.

Thanking you in advance for your insight.

post-8809-1165180461_thumb.jpg

post-8809-1165180461_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

That has to do with physical files on the hard disk, probably having incorrect info in the index crap that chkdsk seemingly always wants to fix even if it's just been ran only minutes prior to doing a repeat scan.

You can clean up old unused indexes if you have NTFS as your file system by starting a command prompt and running: chkdsk /v c:

repeat the process for each hard disk or partition, it won't even require a reboot.

CHKDSK usually runs before Windows startup if Windows was not correctly shut down. This is in order to repair any damage to the file structure that may have occurred, e.g. due to a power failure during a disk write.