AVG free problems

cowboy357

OK Thanks to all for your responses. I haven,t made up My mind yet as what to do. BUT I now have options, & thanks for that. I tried etrust awhile back, & had nothing but problems. But now it makes Me wonder if AVG wasn,t causing a conflict with it even though I had disabled the realtime protection. & since my Wifes company laptop has Etrust installed that She also works from home with , ( corporate version ) I May give it another try, So thanks again & I,ll keep you posted. Cowboy

• Moderators

I tried etrust awhile back, & had nothing but problems.

With eTrust EZ Antivirus there's allot of .exe files that need full system permission/full access without being blocked (or whatever you want to call it). Some firewalls will interfere with it if they aren't told that EZAV's .exe files are o.k. to allow full access, and if the .exe files are not allowed full access it can cause EZAV to not function correctly. The newest firewall I tried today was Ashampoo Firewall it wouldn't even allow the EZAV GUI to load, therefore I pretty much think there's a big conflict between the two of them.

I remember Andavari posted potential problems if you update this. So I have refused to. but it constantly tries to get Me to download the latest version & within seconds the puter freezes & I have to shut off & on manually.I,m thinking of uninstalling it . what would be a good replacement for a virus scanner ? & Is Anyone else having this problem. ? thanks in advance. Cowboy

• Moderators

Hello cowboy,

When I update I download the new version to my desktop, uninstall the old one and then install the new one from my desktop. Is that what you are doing?

If you are and you are still having problems I'm sure there will be a lot of suggestions for new programs you could use!

EDIT.. Are you talking about AVG anti-virus or the AVG7.5/Ewido?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi hazelnut. I,m talking about the AVG anti virus. I,m still using the old free ewido. I Am waiting to here more about it before I update it. Hopes this answers Your Questions & thanks for the quick reply. Cowboy

• Moderators

I,m talking about the AVG anti virus. I,m still using the old free ewido. I Am waiting to here more about it before I update it. Hopes this answers Your Questions & thanks for the quick reply. Cowboy

If you want to stick with AVG maybe downloading the newest version will help, and maybe not. I also had to get rid of AVG Anti-Spyware because it was causing my system to lock something which the previous Ewido Anti-Spyware 4 never did.

Good antivirus replacements:

eTrust EZ Antivirus free one year full featured trial, after that for full featured freeware antivirus try out either AntiVir or Avast.

I remember Andavari posted potential problems if you update this. So I have refused to. but it constantly tries to get Me to download the latest version & within seconds the puter freezes & I have to shut off & on manually.I,m thinking of uninstalling it .

Note:

You can't go with my experiences I had on my system with it's configuration, they shouldn't influence the software you use or if you stop updating it which is potentially a disaster waiting to happen with an anti-virus software installed if it doesn't give you any problems, although it seems you are having problems with the updater also. You can also manually update AVG by visiting http://free.grisoft.com/doc/24/lng/us/tpl/v5.

AVG Free is a good free antivirus, many people say its good.

Other decent free antivirus are avast! and Avira (previously AntiVir).

Good ones that are not free, apparently is Kaspersky, it get good ratings, supposedly NOD32 is good too.

Sucks antivirus is Norton and Panda.

The one I use is ClamWin but it has its limitations and quirks, and it not suitable for everybody I guess.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

go to the f-secure web site

i also recomend that if you want a firewall/antivirus/spyware removal/ program for keeps you should buy it...nothing in life is free..well except ccleaner :)

You would pay for Norton Antivirus? You would pay for Panda Antivirus?

avast!, AVG Free, Avira, etc probably better than most if not all paid antivirus software.

CCleaner is only free as in beer, you cannot inspect its source code and inner workings, you cannot modify it, etc.

Since the download page says "The following builds are for system admins and advanced users.

They are not for distribution or mirroring.", I am not even sure you're allowed to distribute anything other than the toolbar-bundled version. So much for free, eh?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

CCleaner is only free as in beer, you cannot inspect its source code and inner workings, you cannot modify it, etc.

Since the download page says "The following builds are for system admins and advanced users.

They are not for distribution or mirroring.", I am not even sure you're allowed to distribute anything other than the toolbar-bundled version. So much for free, eh?

Freeware is a gift.

The giver offers it on their terms ... and why shouldn't they, it's their property.

The receiver, only has two options ... accept or decline, and in either case, should do so graciously.

Freeware is a gift.

The giver offers it on their terms ... and why shouldn't they, it's their property.

The receiver, only has two options ... accept or decline, and in either case, should do so graciously.

Giving on terms is still giving?

So if I give you 50$ on the terms, that you give me 100$, is it still giving?

If I give you a Big Mac, on the condition that you give me your first born son, is it still giving? :P

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

If I give you a Big Mac, on the condition that you give me your first born son, is it still giving? :P

No. That's called offering to trade ... and I don't see MrG doing that.

But even in trade ... people should accept or decline graciously. No one is entitled to another's property.

• Moderators

You always come up with these far out examples that never make any sense. <_<

The reason Mr.G has the toolbar in ccleaner is so he can pay for the things he has to by providing ccleaner. Things like bandwidth for this site, you are not forced to install it and to be honest its not really a big deal. Giving someone something for free shoudn't cost you anything either. Not everyone can live in their moms basement for the rest of their life and make free software so they can be cool on the internet.

You've got it in your head that everyone should do everything for free and the way you want. Guess what? The world doesn't work that way and it never will. Either your going to have to get over it or your going to go have to live out by yourself on a small island. Your rants about how free isn't free are really boring.(plus its annoying everyone) <_<

Yes, they are a bit far out.

Yes, it is understandable that he has to pay for bandwidth. Though he have ads on the website too, and is accepting donations.

You're right about giving someone something for free, shouldn't cost the giver anything either.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

@ Eldmanen, would you rather it cost $30 per year subscription? Everyone here loves your (unique :D ) contributions, but this constant harping on about what is and is not freeware is becoming a little tedious.

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse