DVDFabDecrypter

rridgely

• Moderators

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/DVDFa...er/1132478833/1

Anyone try that?

Its a new free dvd ripper. I guess its supposed to take the now dead dvd decrpters place. I don't do this very often but I'm all for making the process easier(usually the dvds I burn are just back ups of my HD).

On the other hand, making copies is illegal, so don't do it. :mellow:

nice, ill have to check that out.

all copies arent illegal.

they're not illegal if you bought something like a game and wanted to make a copy of it so you dont have to risk scratching it all up or anything.

ive been wondoring how to back up my HD onto cd's also.

is it possible? (no dvd burner)

• Moderators

I don't have an automated program to do it.

I just back up my pictures with picasa's built in back up.

Then I just periodically burn back ups of my files.(media, docs, installers,ect)

I have an external hard drive with everything on it too but I guess I'm just paranoid.

Microsoft has a Backup feature for WindowsXP. If you have XP Pro it should already be installed. If you have XP Home you have to install it from the XP installation disk. I wonder why it's installed by default in XP Pro but not XP Home.

Windows XP Backup

I've never used it so I don't know how good it is or if that's what you're looking for.

rridgely's method is a good way to do it. If you backed up your whole hard drive wouldn't you have to use about 67,423.5 CDs?

something good i found to do, if your computer screws up, just install windows in another folder and boot up to it.

you then have 30 days to get all your files.

i dont know of anyone thats screwed up their computer so bad that they couldnt get their files off of it.

EDIT: ill wait for a couple replys about that program.

im getting down to little disc space so i gotta watch what i download now. :)

• Moderators

When people cant get their data its not usually because of windows.(unless the person doesn't know what to do and just reformats or takes it to a shop that probably doesn't care.) Its usually HD failure.

rridgely's method is a good way to do it. If you backed up your whole hard drive wouldn't you have to use about 67,423.5 CDs?

Thats a lot of cds....

Exactly how big of a HD did you calculate that for?

Exactly how big of a HD did you calculate that for?

It was just my estimate for an 80GB hard drive, I was assuming he would be prudent and make backup CDs for the backup Cds for the backup CDs for the backup CDs for the backup CDs

for the backup CDs for the backup CDs for the original CDs he used when creating the backup.

Or that he was would use the recommended practice of putting only one file on each CD to prevent overcrowding. If he was foolishly going to cram as many files as possible on each CD [which can cause the CD to overheat and explode] he would need about 107.03 of them.

• Moderators

Just to get back to the decrypter rridgley was talking about, I have used the shrink+ "old"decrypter combination fo a while now and probably won't change unless I encounter a problem which so far I never have. This new one I note is a beta, although I'm sure it would probably be okay.

A lot of the apps in this area tend to be used most successfully when a guide is used to setting it up, by this I mean a word for word set up by an enthusiast.

Ater Dawn forum is good for that.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

The faster they spin the less chance that heat can build up on the CD and trigger a chemical reaction with the laser.

Some of that stuff you said seems way out there dude.

When writing a CD-R using the maximum speed it isn't a very good ideal because it introduces more errors. My current thinking is going over 8X speed is too fast, and thus I don't. Also if using s**t quality discs like all discs made by CMC there isn't any speed that will help.

...that makes no sense. if it spins way too much, then it'll explode. it's happened before when some guy tried doing it at 56x writing speed.

That's true but it's similar to when the CD simply overheats. If a low quality CD is spun at the 56x speed and it is not perfectly balanced such as when the label is slightly off center, centrifugal force may tear the CD apart and then the laser could ignite the flammable gasses that are released from inside the CD itself.

If it's a Metallica CD that breaks apart the heavy metal fragments may strike each other at high speeds causing them to generate sparks the same way the metal wheel and the flint do in a disposable lighter. This makes an explosion twice as likely to occur.

LOL mike your crazy. :D

(everyone seems to believe you too....)

Shhh... Don't tell anyone!

On second thought everybody probably already knows I'm crazy...

I seem to recall reading this on the internet somewhere:

Most people today would be surprised to learn that the terms "ripping CDs" and "burning CDs" aren't just cool slang sayings thought up as another way of saying "copying CDs" and "recording CDs." They were actually terms created in the late 70's to describe when prototype CDs literally ripped apart and/or caught fire.

Mike here is a great article on How CD's work will tell you more than you need to know about that and any other computer related topic you can imagine.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cd.htm

MY personal DVD backup tools are Any DVD along with DVD Shrink. I have tried the other program but it seem kinda slow to me and didnt have the features that Shrink has. As far a HD backup goes I use a second installed HD and use http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp set to copy My Doc. folder to the other HD about every 2 days.

After the CD caught fire in my CD-RW I did buy this DVD-RW on eBay but I think it's defective and the vendor I bought it from doesn't seem to want to take it back. He just keeps emailing me back saying "non garantie" whatever that means.

I do have a second hard drive in my PC but it has Windows 3.1 on it in case Windows XP and Windows 98 happen to fail at the same time.

So for now I've just been backing everything up on floppy disks. I know they only hold 1.44MB so what I've been doing is making a backup of every file on the PC that's 1.44MB or smaller. If there's a crash I'm hoping it only affects the files I've backed up already.

I did luck out in one way though. When the CD caught fire [or exploded, I can't really tell what actually happened because the door on the CD burner melted shut] I panicked and I threw the Bloody Mary I was drinking on it to put out the flames. If I had been drinking a Long Island Ice Tea or a Kamikazee like I usually do that would have made the fire a lot worse :o .