CCleaner freezes on startup

Paul Smith

• Moderators

What operating System are you using>

Can you not click on it in Task Manager and select End Task at the bottom ?

Have you tried a restart of your machine? ( a restart, not shut down)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I can't click anything in the CCleaner window I posted.  Yes, I can click on CCleaner in Task Manager and end task.  I am running Windows 10 Home 22H2. Yes, I have rebooted.  I have Trend Micro Maximum Security version 17.7.1951 installed disabling it does not resolve the issue.  I have three other PCs running Trend Micro Maximum Security version 17.7.1951 and have no issue running CCleaner.

Edited by Paul Smith

I downloaded and installed the most recent version 6.16.  This is the version that will not run.  I did not previously have CClenaer installed on this PC.

I am not running any other firewall.

I did click the flashing tray icon while auto cleaning, and it did the exact same thing.  It was frozen, and I could not click anywhere in the application.

Did you wait long enough for CC to finish cleaning before trying to click on interface?

If you can then use the program I would temporarily disable, Options > Updates > Keep CCleaner updated automatically.  It may be hanging trying to update.

You could also try the portable version of CC.

Please provide the download link you are using to ensure safe download.

I downloaded CCleaner at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard.

I cannot access the GUI at all.  There is no way to change the options.

Yes I waited until it finished cleaning from running /auto from command line before trying to click the interface.  It doesn't provide status while cleaning.  The GUI is stuck just like the orignal screenshot.  The icon in the system tray indicates it is cleaning, but I see nothing in the main GUI other than what I originally posted.

I would like to get CCleaner installed and working on this PC.  Is there any debug information I can provide?

I have uninstalled, redownloaded, and reinstalled with same results.

According to the link below, there is a command line /debug switch, but I have not tried that yet.

I have tried these command line switches, and they do put me on the correct tab, but I cannot do anythning.  The /cleaner switch still drops me on the Health Check screen because I haven't been able to change it to Custom Clean.

• /CLEANER (Opens Health Check or Custom Clean depending on which you have set as default)
  • /REGISTRY
  • /TOOLS
  • /OPTIONS

• Moderators

Could be corrupt CCleaner registry settings, or perhaps the install isn't clean, i.e.; something being left behind when you think you uninstalled it.

Perhaps try this (no guarantee it will work either):
1. Uninstall CCleaner with Revo Uninstaller Free, and have Revo scan for leftovers and delete them.
2. Restart the PC.
3. Re-download CCleaner Free, get the Slim build (just in case it actually is your antivirus causing the issue), and install it.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Paul Smith said:

I have Trend Micro Maximum Security version 17.7.1951 installed disabling it does not resolve the issue.  I have three other PCs running Trend Micro Maximum Security version 17.7.1951 and have no issue running CCleaner.

14 hours ago, Paul Smith said:

I downloaded and installed the most recent version 6.16.  This is the version that will not run.

Do the 3 PC where CCleaner is still running have older CCleaner versions, ie. not yet updated to v6.16?

If the 3 that run are v6.16 then I'd do a manual 'Check for Updates' in TM on the problem machine to see if that sorts things out .

It has been noted on numerous occasions in the past that Trend Micro can be particuarly slow with definition/whitelist updates and can block new versions of CCleaner for a time.
It was particularly noticable during Covid with people working from home, where it would happen with every CCleaner update that TM would block the new version for a while until someone at TM updated their definitions/whitelist.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Yes, all three PC are running CCleaner 6.16, Windows 10 Home 22H2, and Trend Micro Maximum Security version 17.7.1951 with the latest updates.  I have done the manual Trend updates.

I have tried disabling Trend Micro to install, uninstall, reinstall, and run CCleaner all to no avail.  I don't believe Trend Micro is the problem in this case.

I uninstalled CCleaner with Revo Uninstaller Free, restarted the PC, reinstalled CCleaner, and the problem persists.  The GUI is still totally frozen.

I did not reinstall the Slim build but reinstalled the standard version from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard.

What is the slim build?  Does it have all the functionality of the standard version?

12 hours ago, Andavari said:

Could be corrupt CCleaner registry settings, or perhaps the install isn't clean, i.e.; something being left behind when you think you uninstalled it.

Perhaps try this (no guarantee it will work either):
1. Uninstall CCleaner with Revo Uninstaller Free, and have Revo scan for leftovers and delete them.
2. Restart the PC.
3. Re-download CCleaner Free, get the Slim build (just in case it actually is your antivirus causing the issue), and install it.

I uninstalled CCleaner with Revo Uninstaller Free, restarted the PC, reinstalled CCleaner, and the problem persists.  The GUI is still totally frozen.

I did not reinstall the Slim build but reinstalled the standard version from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard.

What is the slim build?  Does it have all the functionality of the standard version?

1 hour ago, hazelnut said:

Yes I have read this, and it does not sound like the same issue I am having. 

• This thread is from 2022, and it can't be the same CCleaner version as I am running
  • This user's PC is running Win 11 Pro 64 bit, version 21H2, and my PC is running Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 which is what came on it (never been upgraded)
  • The CCleaner freeze on my PC never ends; I have left CCleaner open for hours, and it remains frozen until I end it with Task Manager
  • My PC does not become unstable after ending CCleaner with Task Manager and continues to run just fine
  • I don't see any resolution in that thread

• Moderators

Just to make sure, is this an Admin or non-admin user that it is freezing for?

Ps. The 'Slim' installs the same CCleaner, just the install itself is done in a slightly different way.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043