CCleaner Professional not displaying cookies in Microsoft Edge

ChrisR64

I am noticing that CCleaner Professional is not displaying new (ie unsaved cookies normally in the left-hand pane) in Microsoft Edge despite the fact they are listed in the browser. It does however clear them when I close Edge. This is only an issue if I need to save new cookies. The problem is not present in Mozilla Firefox.

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem under Windows 11 latest version.

I have installed the latest test version of CCleaner Professional and no Edge cookies are displayed in the CCleaner cookie manager.

I then called up the pages in Chrome and then the cookies were found by CCleaner, so that I could then add them to extinguishing them.

At this point it would also not be bad that you could add the exceptions to the exceptions manually in the CCleaner Cookie manager instead of looking for the cookies on the respective page in the list.

Edited by MM73

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, MM73 said:

At this point it would also not be bad that you could add the exceptions to the exceptions manually in the CCleaner Cookie manager instead of looking for the cookies on the respective page in the list.

You can do that.

On the 'Cookies to keep' side right-click on the whitespace and in the context menu select 'Add'.
You can then manually enter the cookie to keep.

image.png

PS. That 'right-click the whitespace' trick to bring up a sub-menu is used in a lot of applications not just CCleaner,
It's often worth a try whatever app you are using, to see if there are any extra options. Sometimes there are, sometimes not.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you @nukecad for the help and the tip. 😀

The manual adding of cookies to be retained works as described.

All that remains is that CCleaner Professional does not correctly indicate the Edge cookies.

Edited by MM73

• Moderators
3 hours ago, MM73 said:

Thank you @nukecad for the help and the tip. 😀

The manual adding of cookies to be retained works as described.

All that remains is that CCleaner Professional does not correctly indicate the Edge cookies.

Usually that's a sign that edge is not fully closing.  Exit edge, kill any edge processes in task manger then see if ccleaner shows the cookies

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I just tried your proposal.

According to the task manager, the Edge browser no longer runs, not even in the background.

I tested it with another tool that would show that the Edge browser still runs somehow, but that's not the case.

The cookies are not displayed correctly in CCleaner.

Having looked at what is going on, my experience is that Edge runs in the background even when closed and even if startup boost is not enabled. Not surer why you cannot see new unsaved cookies in the left-hand pane as you could previously. The only certain way I have found to force CCleaner to clean Edge is to use Task Manager to force Edge to close.

chrisR64, i've heard that disabling windows' "fast startup" allows edge to close.

everyone says to disable fast startup in the power settings but i disable it in my BIOS settings.

From my personal experience, this does not work in Windows 11. If you close Edge and you do not receive a notification from CCleaner, cookies and anything else selected will not have been cleaned. Open task manager. If Edge is closed it shouldn't be at the top of the list, but scroll down alphabetically to Microsoft Edge. Highlight it, right click and then left click End Task. That should close all Edge processes (there could be 20 or more) and CCleaner should clean.

I do not know if this applies to Windows 10.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue. In WIN 11, MS Edge v12 cookies do not show up in CC Pro, even when all sub-instances of Edge are closed in Task Manager. I can't find the cookies storage location. Google panned out and wasn't much help. I did find one Cookies file located in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Network. It has no file extension and I have no idea what application will open it. I think I could manually add an exclusion if I knew the cookies location. I could do that with earlier versions of CC Pro or Plus.

1 hour ago, GunnyB said:

I did find one Cookies file located in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Network. It has no file extension and I have no idea what application will open it. I

Hi GunnyB;

That is the correct path*** but I believe that Cookie file is a special SQLite database file that that cannot be viewed in a text editor like Notepad.

To see the name of the cookies stored in your MS Edge v121 browser type edge://settings/siteData into the MS Edge address bar (or go to Settings | Cookies and Site Permissions | Cookies and Data Stored | Manage and Delete Cookies and Site Data | See All Coolies and Site Data) .  I have my MS Edge browser configured to delete all cookies (and most of my other browsing history) when the browser is closed so in my MS Edge browser that setting only displays the cookies that have been created during my current browser session.

*** NOTE to other users:  %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Network is a hidden and system protected folder so you must either type that path directly into your File Explorer address bar or use a file management utility like TreeSize Free (run with Administrator rights) to view the contents.

MSEdgev121SettingsAllCookiesandSiteData12Feb2024.png.00f590f1c0f882a73fa337a94bb7835e.png

-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3930 * Firefox v122.0.1 * Microsoft Edge v121.0.2277.112 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.23110.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.8.311-1.0.2259 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.20.10897 * TreeSize Free Portable v4.7.1.525

I don't know if this would help, but users still having problems with cookie cleaning in Google Chrome or MS Edge should note that the change log for the latest CCleaner v6.21.10918 (released 14-Feb-2024) at  https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history states in part:

• We improved the cookie cleaning in Chromium browsers. 

-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3930 * Firefox v122.0.1 * Microsoft Edge v121.0.2277.112 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.24010.10 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.8.311-1.0.2259 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.20.10897